Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat lc in cork

Options
  • 04-06-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Heya guys, so I sat my lc in 2013 and I got 435. Didn't get into the college I wanted and wasn't too sure which course to seek for, so I took a year off.

This year I want to repeat the leaving cert again and go for the biological and chemical science in ucc which later on leads into physiology from which I am interested in.

However, I'm currently in Dublin and is moving to cork this summer and now I'm lost because I don't know where in cork does the repeats apart from those fee paying schools and college of commerce in cork. * Please give me a list of secondary schools that accepts students for repeats and if you ever had any personal experiences with them, please provide some detail, thanks.

In 2013 I sat the exams in art(b1), bio(b3), chem(c3), English(d1), maths(c3), music(c3) and Italian(b3). All at higher level except Italian.

This year, I'm planning

Definitely do:
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Art
    Geography

Doubting about
    Music
    Maths

And planning to do ag science.

*Please give me some opinions on what u think about ag science, thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

I don't know any schools apart from Bruce & Hewitt which are fee paying but I just want to say I wouldn't do music if I were you. The 2015 course is completely different set works from the 2013 course which would just add extra pressure on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colour Insanity

The only schools I've ever heard accepting repeats are College of Comm, Bruce, Hewitt and Deane. Most other schools will just throw you in with the Sixth Years, which means doing a lot of "catch-up" work in the background of all the work they did in 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kayren95

a0ifee wrote: »
    I don't know any schools apart from Bruce & Hewitt which are fee paying but I just want to say I wouldn't do music if I were you. The 2015 course is completely different set works from the 2013 course which would just add extra pressure on you.

Hello Aoife, thank you for getting back to me.
    Mind me asking is it the set b work examined in 2015?
    The only schools I've ever heard accepting repeats are College of Comm, Bruce, Hewitt and Deane. Most other schools will just throw you in with the Sixth Years, which means doing a lot of "catch-up" work in the background of all the work they did in 5th.

Thank you for getting back to me.
    I was wondering if you know any one having personal experience in the college of comm for repeat lc? I do music so I'm still unsure about comm because they do not have music as a internal subject in the school. Also I've read some reviews regarding to certain subjects... It doesn't seem to appeal to me that much.
    But I wouldn't mind joining the sixth years if that's the only option left... I was wondering if u know any secondary schools that might take in students for repeat? I'm sorry for asking so much questions but I'm currently living in Dublin and isn't too familiar with cork.
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Kayren95 wrote: »
    Hello Aoife, thank you for getting back to me.
    Mind me asking is it the set b work examined in 2015?

yeah, mozart, berlioz, the beatles and seachanges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭loveemmaxxxx

Hey I also did my leaving in 2013 and hope to repeat this September in ccoc. I want to do nursing.

I'm thinking this year I'll do:
    English
    Biology
    Geography
    Home ec
    Art
    Ag science

A friend of mine went there this year and loved it. However I came across these answers on boards from previous answers.

I'm repeating there myself this year. If you do get in, be prepared for having random free hours in the middle of the day. For example, on both a Monday and a Tuesday I've a three hour break between classes. If you're doing Art, it must be done after school. Any 'unusual' subjects are done outside of the school, like Italian, and Music. They're also extremely strict on attendance, even with students taking actual college courses. I think it's something like, if you miss more than 20% of any one term. First you get a letter, than a suspension, I believe. You also have your pre exams during the Easter holidays.

Don't worry about doing ordinary level Maths~ that's what I did, and am currently doing. You can also do ordinary Irish, if you so wish!

I had my interview in August about a week or so after the leaving, and I was horribly nervous. I wore a silly little dress, and yellow shoes, I believe. I was shaking like crazy going in, but I think that the interviewers were nice enough. They made me feel at ease, at any rate, which I was thankful for. You've to fill out a form too before you go into the interview, like why you think you got the results you did. For example, spending too much time at a job, not putting enough work in, etc. I made my interviewers chuckle when I was speaking about my previous school; I told them that I got detention at for speaking English, and that seemed to do the trick! I got the acceptance letter obscenely late though, I think it was on the morning of the orientation day. Lucky I was up and ready by the time the postman came, just in case!

I think that it is worthwhile. I came from an all Irish school, so doing it in English is really standing to me. The teachers really are top there, and there's a study hall open from 8:00 am until 10:00 pm. It's rather daunting in there, though. I prefer to go to the town library to study.

Having repeated there myself this year,DO NOT to go there. I went there as I couldn't really afford Hewitt and Bruce college, and I thought the teachers there would be very good. I was expecting to be spoon-fed with top notes etc! I would say only go there if you're really willing to do it all on your own if you have to. You see, some teachers there are 'brillant' unfortunately all of mine were'nt so good. Do not do Art (unfortunately I did) as you only get 2hours after school hours on a Monday per week!! And to be fair the Art teacher didnt turn up most of the time. Although he was a nice guy...still wasnt good enough you know. It really puts you off the subject too etc. So I did feck all for it as a result. I blame myself alright but I'm just so disappointed with all of the teachers I got. I stupidly took up Geography, and as any Geog student would know, you need alot of detailed top notes! We bearly got decent ordinary notes and I was doing Higher. The text book for geog is shocking dont buy it! Get exam skills if your gonna do it. Home Ec was difficult, I had done it before but like the course is just massive. We didnt get everything done but the home ec teacher was good. Very strict on attendance lol. I would avoid doing home ec though as there way too much in it!! I did biology,hope to get an A or a B in it, after all I did eat the subject. The biology teacher was good cause she'd scare the **** outta ya haha. Shes v funny too. It was the highlight of my days there. I did ordinary maths. BIG MISTAKE! You see I was handy at in school,however I finished school in 2008 and went and started food science in UCC (dropped out tho coz i hated it) and came to CCOC to repeat. Therefore I hadn't done Maths in 2years. I was very rusty and the teacher was sooooo bad. There are obviously a few maths teachers and hopefully you won't get landed with the same 1 I did. So after making a tough decision to go back and repeat, I fear that I have done worst than last time and will have to wait to be a mature student to get into nursing as the points will prob go sky high. Also, I dont want to mention names, but a certain somebody who's in charge lets say, is horrible. I mean he/she is lovely at the start to lower you in and then through out the year gives you awful looks as if youve murdered his/her family!! Also when I went to inquire about something,this person who was suppose to be helpful,sighed and practically rushed me out of their office as if I really annoyed them and was wasting their time. Im very bitter about this person and wish to make a complaint actually! LOL. So anyway, in all seriousness though, don't go there! Oh and the study hall is a joke. Its not specifically for RLC students,its for the whole college and sometimes you may see people there that don't even attend the college. It is supervised SOMETIMES. But everyone seems to talk anyway. Sorry for ranting on but thats my personally opinion.

I was on to the course coordinated and she seems lovely the cost comes up to like 400 euro compared to the price of Bruce which is like 6000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭otpmb

Hey, I repeated in Bruce this year to do medicine. The fees were 5500 euro but, we mostly got notes so we didn't have to buy books. I know it's expensive but they have really good teachers in Bruce and Hewitt the two "grind schools" in Cork. Fees for Hewitt were about 5000 euro last year.

I don't know much about the college of commerce, my neighbour repeated there a few years previous and got less than she did the first time, but that was probably due more to her than the school. I would expect like all schools if you work you will do well.

Biological and chemical science was 445 in 2013 in ucc, did you apply to the Cao this year? Maybe the points might drop slightly. You won't have to gain that many points repeating anyways.

As Biologic and chemical science is a science course in ucc, the first year will feature modules in physics, chemistry, biology, maths and applied maths. Maths and applied maths can be tricky so you may need help in them (maybe a few grinds in college) especially if you drop maths as a subject when you repeat. Don't let this influence what subjects you pick when repeating, instead pick the subjects that you will get high points in. The maths course has also changed since 2013 differentiation and integration is different.

I think the comprehensive in Bishopstown is quite good and almost free (it has an irish name "scoil naomh something") and would probably let you in as it is a public school. It is not a repeat school so, you would probably have to do seven subjects there including maths and English and irish unless you had an exemption and would have to pick your subjects based on bands that were already in place in the school, you would be with sixth years too so you would have to do the course at their pace.

In repeat schools you do each subject in one school year or less and revise till the end of the year, they also let you pick whatever subjects you want.

As you're repeating and don't want to pay high fees college of com seems like your best option (but, that's just my opinion). Arrange meetings with the secondary schools near where you are living in cork and college of com too, I think secretaries are back in most schools in august a few days before leaving cert results are issued.

:) good luck!

Advertisement