Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My GP is retiring. Where i stand legally with my records?

Options
  • 24-08-2015 8:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24

First of all I hope I have the right section for posting this. If not, could a Mod please move.

My GP of many years, decades in fact, is retiring and Im wondering where I stand legally with my records? Is he obliged to send them all to my new, as yet to be decided, GP?

Can he legally charge me for this? Do I get it all sent to me or does it go to the GP? Can he charge for printing it out etc? He will be doing this with many, many patients so Im sure he will have to charge something.

Has anyone ever gone through the same thing? Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Webby5

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Usually when a GP retires another GP will take over the practice and the patients which avoids all the records having to be sent here there and everywhere. The best thing is to ask your GP if that is the intention. If you are are happy to stay with his replacement then you don't have to do anything. If you would like to change then you are entitled to all your records.

echo beach wrote: »
    Usually when a GP retires another GP will take over the practice and the patients which avoids all the records having to be sent here there and everywhere. The best thing is to ask your GP if that is the intention. If you are are happy to stay with his replacement then you don't have to do anything. If you would like to change then you are entitled to all your records.

Thanks. In this case there's no new GP taking over.

Is he entitled to charge me for my records?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have heard of people being charged an admin fee for release of records but its not something I ever experienced myself. I don't know of there are regulations against it although given the situation you should not be charged. I was in a situation where the practice I attended closed down and didn't have to pay a penny.
    You will have to sign a form or the release of your records and collect them yourself from your existing GP and give them to your new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Happened to us pretty recently, our old GP retired and nobody was taking over the practice but there was still a GP in the local area assigned to all our records and he took them over. If people wanted to change from him that was fine but we stuck with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Webby5 wrote: »
    Is he obliged to send them all to my new, as yet to be decided, GP?

Can he legally charge me for this? Do I get it all sent to me or does it go to the GP?

There will be no charge above €6.35.

The control of your files depends on whether you are a private or a GMS (medical card) patient. If the latter, your file will be passed on to the next doctor.

If you are a private patient, I do not believe you are entitled to your original record, rather only a copy of that record.

An update on this:

I showed up on Friday to see my GP's offices upheaved with no PCs in place that I could see and him packing up the remains of his belongings. I was told he hadnt got access to my medical files because of this.

He then informed me that my next GP could write to him for them! He said all mail to his soon to be ex offices was being re-directed to his home for the next two months.

I am incensed!

I am with this GP for over 30 years and we had an outstanding medical matter he was to follow up on (blood tests). Does my new GP have to ask the hospital for the results now or will I have to have them redone?

Where do I stand legally on this?

Who governs Irish GPs?

I was aware my GP was selling up but not aware that it had been sold. The last time we talked (about 3 months ago) he said he was struggling to sell it and he would be in contact with all patients once it had gone through.

He tells me on Friday that there was “no way he could contact two thousand people”. Now I know for a fact he hadn't got this many patients left. Id guess it was it was in the low hundreds.

What was he LEGALLY obliged to do?

As he is now an ex GP will any governing body have any impact on this? And if they wont what is the best course of action to take?

Im told tomorrow is his last day on the premises and I want to call him first thing in the morning armed with facts on what I can legally do going forward if he doesnt hand over my files.

He also said when he does up my records that:

1) He will be charging all patients 20 euros for them, and
    2) He will be doing up the “highlights” only for the next GP to look at. That is; a few pages rather than everything.

Ive 30 years plus of records with this man, isnt he obliged to release everything to me?

Sorry for the long post. Advice seriously needed on this before tomorrow morning.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The OP has already got this thread open elsewhere, so I'm closing this one. If anyone has anything additional to add the other thread is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement