Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Why is Maynooth such a fcking ****hole? That ad is embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

marko93 wrote: »
    Why is Maynooth such a fcking ****hole? That ad is embarrassing

Genuine question why do you think it is or is it just because of an ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Might be able to start a new tradition with this, everyone that turns up to their exams in an Ape Costume gets a banana, throwing your own faeces at another Ape may get you two or more bananas.

Cows and Apes is what we are now folks, deal with it accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

CSSE09 wrote: »
    Genuine question why do you think it is or is it just because of an ad?

The arts block still hasn't been demolished. The IT staff say that it isn't possible to fix our WiFi because we have too many students yet much bugger universities have perfect WiFi. We are spammed with nonsense emails on the all students list yet they forget to tell us important things. 4 out of 6 of my lecturers this year are not fluent in English. The amount of data protection laws violated by the SU and clubs & socs is insane but nobody cares. Were not allowed have a men's rights soc because that's already covered by the feminist soc apparently. The counsellors forget about their patients and act like they aren't a vital service. I know a student with an anxiety disorder that is entitled to extensions on assignments, requested an extension through the dept, was told that the disability office needs to request the extension, so they contact the disability office still on the Monday and they reply on the Friday (the day after the assignment is due) that they will look into it. The toilets are filthy beyond use all the time. Were paying a **** tonne of money to be in the college and the government is paying even more for each student yet we have secondary students wandering around allowed to use our facilities, sometimes the public too. We have 1 atm on campus (the one in the su doesn't count they're not allowed to turn it on). You cant buy anything in some places you have to use the very awkward my card system. The library is too small for the number of students we have and they are still taking more in. There's not enough accommodation either. Security are extremely sexist and wont help when a man is attacked by a female (they threatened to hinder a garda investigation), one security guy said he was sure a particular camera was working fine while another insists its not. Moodle is **** compared to other colleges. In a new building like the library the sockets don't work. The maths department have rules that prevent the lecturers posting notes online. The mics never work or at least the lectures don't know how to use them. There isn't enough parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

What he said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I don't know, the Arts Block Hot Chocolate outweighs all those negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I don't know, the Arts Block Hot Chocolate outweighs all those negatives.

If they ever decide to replace the arts block it should be insisted they build around the hot chocolate goodness.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Whatever about everything you have written (that's a long paragraph!) I have nothing but good to say about the counsellors and Disability Office. I went to the counsellors for three years and they helped me a lot and I was never ignored. I was given full attention whenever I needed it, even in emergency situations.

With regard to the Disabilities office, was your friend registered with them already? As soon as I registered they had me set up with everything I needed including extras requested by my doctor.

Also, the college is a public campus, anyone is allowed use it. It's the same in any other college. In fact I could compare a few of your complaints to the same that I have heard from other colleges. Grass is greener and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

GarIT wrote: »
    The arts block still hasn't been demolished. The IT staff say that it isn't possible to fix our WiFi because we have too many students yet much bugger universities have perfect WiFi. We are spammed with nonsense emails on the all students list yet they forget to tell us important things. 4 out of 6 of my lecturers this year are not fluent in English. The amount of data protection laws violated by the SU and clubs & socs is insane but nobody cares. Were not allowed have a men's rights soc because that's already covered by the feminist soc apparently. The counsellors forget about their patients and act like they aren't a vital service. I know a student with an anxiety disorder that is entitled to extensions on assignments, requested an extension through the dept, was told that the disability office needs to request the extension, so they contact the disability office still on the Monday and they reply on the Friday (the day after the assignment is due) that they will look into it. The toilets are filthy beyond use all the time. Were paying a **** tonne of money to be in the college and the government is paying even more for each student yet we have secondary students wandering around allowed to use our facilities, sometimes the public too. We have 1 atm on campus (the one in the su doesn't count they're not allowed to turn it on). You cant buy anything in some places you have to use the very awkward my card system. The library is too small for the number of students we have and they are still taking more in. There's not enough accommodation either. Security are extremely sexist and wont help when a man is attacked by a female (they threatened to hinder a garda investigation), one security guy said he was sure a particular camera was working fine while another insists its not. Moodle is **** compared to other colleges. In a new building like the library the sockets don't work. The maths department have rules that prevent the lecturers posting notes online. The mics never work or at least the lectures don't know how to use them. There isn't enough parking.

When I was in the SU, all the different faculties had to put together a submission for the university's "10 year plan" under the broad heading of "Stuff a University should do."

Faculty of Social Sciences & Anthropology (may no longer be the same) made a list of like 85 things. The first 50 were "Money" "Money for research" "We just want to research" "Job is dead handy" etc, and towards the end they were on to things like "Raise awareness of climate change" and "make Ireland a better place" and other nonsense.

They forgot to include in the list:
    • Teaching
    • Lectures
    • Assignments
    • Exams
    • The basic idea that a University should place even some emphasis and money towards educating undergraduates.

The look on their faces when we pointed it out.

Whatever about everything you have written (that's a long paragraph!) I have nothing but good to say about the counsellors and Disability Office. I went to the counsellors for three years and they helped me a lot and I was never ignored. I was given full attention whenever I needed it, even in emergency situations.

With regard to the Disabilities office, was your friend registered with them already? As soon as I registered they had me set up with everything I needed including extras requested by my doctor.

Also, the college is a public campus, anyone is allowed use it. It's the same in any other college. In fact I could compare a few of your complaints to the same that I have heard from other colleges. Grass is greener and all that jazz.

The counsellors are great at what they do, there were just two occurrences of "We'll make an appointment with you in the next few weeks" and then you don't hear from them again. Overall it's a great service, it was just a rant while I was still mostly asleep.

They were registered with the disability office, they just took a week to reply to an email. The person could have gone in and talk to someone and get them to deal with it on the spot if things got really bad so it wasn't a disaster. But as a service that is often catering for people in distress 5 days is too long a wait for an email reply.

I know the college is a public place, as is every other college in Ireland but I don't think it should be, it should be for the private use of the paying students (and staff, official visitors and anyone else relevant to the college). There are colleges in America and other countries where you need a pass to get onto campus.

Some of it probably is a case of grass is greener on the other side, there are a lot of things I would give out about Maynooth that may well happen in other universities. For the most part I didn't say things is better in other places, just that each particular thing is bad in Maynooth.

I have to add in the paths too, the whole campus is designed to look nice and not to be walked through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I'd agree with the Arts block needing to be demolished/replaced, but not with most of the rest.

And someday I will be rich and buy one of those hot chocolate machines for my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I don't know what you mean by this. I don't mind people from the public using college canteens or even the swimming pool (which is crap anyway) but one thing that really annoys me is that literally anyone can walk in off the street and use the gym free of charge. They really should have a scan-in system of some sort and make members of the public pay as you go.

The North campus is incredibly aesthetically unpleasing and all the lecture halls in South campus are painfully uncomfortable.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean by this. I don't mind people from the public using college canteens or even the swimming pool (which is crap anyway) but one thing that really annoys me is that literally anyone can walk in off the street and use the gym free of charge. They really should have a scan-in system of some sort and make members of the public pay as you go.

The North campus is incredibly aesthetically unpleasing and all the lecture halls in South campus are painfully uncomfortable.

They do: http://fitness.isport.com/fitness-gyms/ie/county-kildare/maynooth/nui-maynooth-gym-and-fitness-centre-595099

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

My main complaint is... THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE COMPUTERS.

Or you could just bring a laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Or you could just bring a laptop.

And then you have the problem of broken/not enough plugs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

The new computer center building should hopefully sort that out

aaabbbb wrote: »
    The new computer center building should hopefully sort that out

Is that the CS Dept you're talking about? As with the current CS dept you'll need a CS account to log on. The old space in Callan could become useful though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

Is that the CS Dept you're talking about? As with the current CS dept you'll need a CS account to log on. The old space in Callan could become useful though.

I vaguely remember hearing that that new building will also house the Computer Centre. And I think the Hamilton Institute.

I vaguely remember hearing that that new building will also house the Computer Centre. And I think the Hamilton Institute.

I was told that the new building is a new CS dept as the current one is too small, I'm not sure though.

• Advertisement

How many computers roughly are available on campus? Am I right in saying the only places that have them are the library, the Callan building and the Arts block?

Thats correct :)

Thats correct :)

If you don't mind me asking where did you hear that, one of our lecturers told us it is the new CS department and that next year all of our lectures and labs would be in there.

If you don't mind me asking where did you hear that, one of our lecturers told us it is the new CS department and that next year all of our lectures and labs would be in there.

I think it was emailed to us last year as part of a naming competition or something but trawling through emails is boring so heres this instead: http://www.gunnlennonfabrications.com/National%20University%20of%20Ireland%20%20Maynooth%20%E2%80%93%20ICT%20Hub.html

I think it was emailed to us last year as part of a naming competition or something but trawling through emails is boring so heres this instead: http://www.gunnlennonfabrications.com/National%20University%20of%20Ireland%20%20Maynooth%20%E2%80%93%20ICT%20Hub.html

It's a bit OTT looking isn't it?

Idea was prob to blend in with Phoenix and iontas but the architect got "notions of the highest order"

I always wonder will we look back on thees buildings like we look at the arts block et al now

Idea was prob to blend in with Phoenix and iontas but the architect got "notions of the highest order"

I always wonder will we look back on thees buildings like we look at the arts block et al now

Most likely. Take the old library, I'd imagine that it was probably considered impressive at opening, however by the time I'd started (09 - before building for the new part started) it looked pretty awful. My dad (i.e. Mr Architect) used to rant about it every time we drove past it. Some "modern" building styles don't really tend to stay relevant.

safe_image.php?d=AQA3eRkk9fCvztYt&w=484&h=253&url=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.rasset.ie%2F0009969e-622.jpg&cfs=1

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Doubt it will look much like that photo now. It doesn't seem to have much curvature at all at the moment and it seems to have been connected to the Bioscience & Engineering building, which that photo doesn't really show.

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Doubt it will look much like that photo now. It doesn't seem to have much curvature at all at the moment and it seems to have been connected to the Bioscience & Engineering building, which that photo doesn't really show.

Yea, I'm aware of that. Still not sure if I like the design though. Something about the front of it. How does building look so far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Yea, I'm aware of that. Still not sure if I like the design though. Something about the front of it. How does building look so far?

Yeah, not sure if I like the design either. I didn't see much resemblance to the photo on that site the last time I looked, but that's not to say it won't be moulded into that shape. Suppose we'll just have to wait and see what it ends up like :rolleyes:

Advertisement