Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Wage with 8 years experience

Options
  • 15-07-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I started a new job back in January. I went into the job with 8 years experience in the sector, however, I was only offered minimum wage; 'due to the economic downturn'. I was initially offered a 6 month contract, but now it's up and I've been offered a permanent contract, however, the manager has informed me that my wage will remain at 8.65 an hour with no rise for the foreseeable future. I'm an extremely hard worker, I could do the job with my eyes closed at this stage.

My question is, is this reasonable? I appreciate I'm lucky to have a job and understand that I have no official qualifications in the area, but surely my 8 years experience should stand for something? I see the figures every week and business is as good as ever. I feel my employer is using the recession as an excuse to pay us less, despite business being no different.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

wicklowgal wrote: »
    I feel my employer is using the recession as an excuse to pay us less, despite business being no different.

This would not surprise me at all. Some will also make exsisting employees carry the work of those who leave without hiring anyone new in order to increase profits. If you have something that pays better lined up then go for it - if not then the choice is dole or a job & I know which I would choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Going into a job with min wage makes be think you were unemployed beforehand? If so, take the job, but minimum wage ensures no loyalty. The moment you get a better job, you'll be gone. Do a good job between now and then, and see the reaction when you hand in your notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Hi OP,
    If you dont mind me asking, what sector do you work in? In some roles (things like admin, customer service etc...) it is pretty acceptable now to pay a normal basic usually bubbling around the minimum mark, regardless of experience.

If however, you are in a skilled profession, you should be looking to discuss the position with your union, as there maybe agreements in place. If your employer is paying you below industry standards, I'd leave. I find its alot harder to find a good job when your stuck on a low paying one you dont like!

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Take it or leave it. Unfortunately, it's possible you are only worth minimum wage.. particularly if you can be easily replaced.

If you think you're worth so much to the employer, try to haggle to a more acceptable wage (e.g. €11 an hour)

If he is not willing to pay it, ask for your p45 and give it to the first employer who offers you what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you genuinely have eight year's experience? ie, could you do the manager's job?

Or do you have one year's experience eight times over? Not trying to be mean here, but there is a big difference.

Have you applied for other jobs? What are they offering you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 JBF

I know people are saying " you're lucky to have a job" but I think it's a bit of an over statement to be honest. There are jobs out there and whats more there are jobs paying more than minimum wage out there. I got a job last July (09) doing normal IT based stuff with no experience and no qualifications needed I was on 11.50 p/h I was made redundant and walked straight into a summer temp job for 11.33 p/h doing once again nothing major clicking and typing on a computer. My experience is in customer care call centres etc. and these jobs are not often (from my experience anyway) at minimum wage. Take the job I guess for the moment but don't stop looking for something higher paid cos there are such jobs still out there with the only requirement being a reference and some computer skills.

Good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

wicklowgal wrote: »
    My question is, is this reasonable?

It's reasonable but it's also reasonable for you to keep on sending those CVs out. Then when you get offered the money you're looking for tell your boss you're leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Its reasonable to pay minimum wage buts its also reasonable for you to ask for more money before you sign any permanent contract. If they refuse say ok then and sign but they shouldn't be surprised if you find something better and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

Thanks for all the feed back.
    JustMary wrote: »
    Do you genuinely have eight year's experience? ie, could you do the manager's job?

Or do you have one year's experience eight times over? Not trying to be mean here, but there is a big difference.

Have you applied for other jobs? What are they offering you?

No I genuinely have 8 years experience. I've been applying everywhere but not hearing back from many places, there's just not that much out there, guess I'll just have to keep sending out the C.V.s!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I guess you answered your own question! ;) It's reasonable as long as you have nothing else better. Keep looking, there are jobs out there, a lot of people for each of them for sure, but you never know! If you are quite experienced as well, give your cv to agencies, they will be looking for suitable position for you as well.
    All the best!

• Advertisement
Advertisement