Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3's Mobile for home usage

Options
  • 10-09-2014 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Not sure if this belongs here but seemed close enough!

Basically moved into a new apartment where are beloved 200 meg UPC can't follow us. We're pretty restricted in our complex so looks like we're stuck with Eircom (I called them up and someone 2 doors down has a "great connection" of 12 Mbps so we can expect the same...) or another crowd called Sky Conway who don't seem to have a great rep according to some research I've done (They are offering 24Mbps although I guess they use the same line as Eircom?)

So the other option, which we are using at the minute, is 4G on 3 through my housemates phone as a hotspot.
    We were thinking we could get a 4G router and use a 3 SIM with all you can eat data and pay the extra for 4G? It seems fine from our initial tests of netflix and games, getting around the 20 MBps mark. Download speeds/pings arent as good but you can't have it all I guess.

Has anyone any experience of doing this or have any recommendations?
    Based in Dublin 3 if that matters.

Edit: Just saw something from 3 regarding not using the mobile sim in other devices... we used almost 600GB worth of data last month so I don't think the puny amount offered by most vendors will work for us...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 chris sky

Sky Conway offer free trial and no contracts and have their own fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Colonial

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Not sure if this belongs here but seemed close enough!

Basically moved into a new apartment where are beloved 200 meg UPC can't follow us. We're pretty restricted in our complex so looks like we're stuck with Eircom (I called them up and someone 2 doors down has a "great connection" of 12 Mbps so we can expect the same...) or another crowd called Sky Conway who don't seem to have a great rep according to some research I've done (They are offering 24Mbps although I guess they use the same line as Eircom?)

So the other option, which we are using at the minute, is 4G on 3 through my housemates phone as a hotspot.
    We were thinking we could get a 4G router and use a 3 SIM with all you can eat data and pay the extra for 4G? It seems fine from our initial tests of netflix and games, getting around the 20 MBps mark. Download speeds/pings arent as good but you can't have it all I guess.

Has anyone any experience of doing this or have any recommendations?
    Based in Dublin 3 if that matters.

Edit: Just saw something from 3 regarding not using the mobile sim in other devices... we used almost 600GB worth of data last month so I don't think the puny amount offered by most vendors will work for us...

Thanks

We use 3 for this but we dont use another device.. basically the apartment is run from an Iphone 5c with about 30mb on 4g with 1 device wired and 2 wireless... Lots of stremaing, over 300gb a month... 3 has been the best value product I have ever used... I even pay my bills before they are due... Because of this value :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 chris sky

Monthly Data..............1GB........ 2GB..........15GB.........60GB
    Monthly Commitment €7.99........€12.99.......€21.99......€34.99

Contract Length 12 or 18 Months 12 or 18 Months 12 or 18 Months 12 or 18 Months
    4G Access¹

Suitable For² Occasional Users Light Users Standard Users Heavy Users

Becarefull as 3 only offer unlimited data for a certain period of time. 60GB would be quickly used up when streaming or multiple users

chris sky wrote: »
    Monthly Data..............1GB........ 2GB..........15GB.........60GB
    Monthly Commitment €7.99........€12.99.......€21.99......€34.99

Contract Length 12 or 18 Months 12 or 18 Months 12 or 18 Months 12 or 18 Months
    4G Access¹

Suitable For² Occasional Users Light Users Standard Users Heavy Users

Becarefull as 3 only offer unlimited data for a certain period of time. 60GB would be quickly used up when streaming or multiple users

http://www.three.ie/shop/sim-only-plans/bill-pay-sim-only/

Always unlimited.

You would have to be mad to ever enter a contract! Alwyas buy the phone unlocked straight out and you gain so much more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Colonial wrote: »
    http://www.three.ie/shop/sim-only-plans/bill-pay-sim-only/

Always unlimited.

You would have to be mad to ever enter a contract! Alwyas buy the phone unlocked straight out and you gain so much more!

Not unlimited. It's actually a fare use allowance of 15GB and even then you're not supposed to be using it to tether.

I just signed up to the 60GB plan for 12 months with the Huawei B593. I checked the price of the router online and it worked out better getting the contract than buying outright.

• Advertisement

Dord wrote: »
    Not unlimited. It's actually a fare use allowance of 15GB and even then you're not supposed to be using it to tether.

I just signed up to the 60GB plan for 12 months with the Huawei B593. I checked the price of the router online and it worked out better getting the contract than buying outright.

Ive been using 300gb + per month the past 6 months. The FUP clearly is not in place.

I was talking about phones sorry... ... Though I know the sims for the mobile bb are disastrous as you explain above which is why its worth taking the chance on the sim only phone option with unlimited data and tether... End of the day its a 30 day contract :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I always have used a pre pay all you can eat data from 3 and it's never been slowed down don't see the point of paying so much for a broadband sim plan when it costs a lot for only 7.5GB .

I also have DSL and a Vodafone 4G modem would drop the DSL if 3 got 4G in my area I could use that as my main Internet id have to buy a 4G modem though .. Vodafones 4G is really fast here but comes with a 20GB Limit they are the only ones with 4G in my area for now .

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

chris sky wrote: »
    Sky Conway offer free trial and no contracts and have their own fibre.

this looks like spam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

10,000 Flexi-Units per month applies. thats on threes all you can eat data and it is only untill november where you have to pay an extra 5 euro for 4g

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

FYI what you're planning is totally against their TOS and they can terminate your service for it, but they probably wont.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    FYI what you're planning is totally against their TOS and they can terminate your service for it, but they probably wont.

... and they certainly dont and no warning after 7 month, so far that is :D

Advertisement