Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Recommendation

Options
  • 05-10-2012 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone.

I have no idea about computers so bear with me.

I'm looking for a windows laptop for some basic HD video editing (gaming montages/commentaries) and general home use (youtube,dvds etc). I have a budget of around E600. A 17 inch screen is preferable but not essential.

How does this option measure up to my preferences?

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=WCENP300E7AA08UK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

17.3" Lenny with a Core i5 processor €599 at komplett.

OmQOn.jpg

hV5Da.jpg

Says it all... video editing can be quite demanding, you'll want all the CPU power you can get. Probably more memory as well, an 8 GB kit (2x4) costs ~ €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Is there anyting in the Samsung range? I've had 2 samsung laptops in 4years and they never gave a moments bother so I've kinda become loyal to the brand. I'd be willing to stretch the budget a bit and relent on the screen size.

What about this?
    http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MME886F900

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Is there anyting in the Samsung range?

Only this 15.6" Laptop with an AMD A-10 APU and 8 GB RAM for €629. The A-10 is comparable to the Core i5 in some realms but lacks the power when it comes to media encoding (compare the CineBench scores) which is crucial for video editing. The HD 7660G IGP graphics is better than Intel's HD 4000 though.

If I were you I'd definitely pick the Core i5 processor. There's nothing wrong with Lenovo. ;)

Advertisement