Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Evolution and a supreme being.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 makesmeLOL

philologos wrote: »
    really long post

You are a spanner of the highest order.

Mod: Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Pedant wrote: »
    Hardly tackling the issue. Your trying to justify god's existence by saying he is "outside creation". That doesn't tackle anything.

I don't think that was Phil's point - considering that before Evolution was part and parcel of current human knowledge and discovery, Christians always expressed that God is not part of the universe, or perhaps better said as not 'contained' by the universe but it's author and the one who made it beautiful - a playground. As Christians we say he is the first cause...
    We can prove that god isn't an immanent being. Accepting that god is not immanent but rather a wholly transcendent being then there is no way he could have aided in the development of earth, life or humanity or indeed the development of the entire universe.

How can you prove this? I can't prove God, I put my trust and faith in him and have found harmony between living and being a conscious being in a sometimes ugly and sometimes beautiful world with others - Particularly in Christianity and Jesus Christ who claimed to be the son of God the greatest single communication ever - and he lived up to it, I couldn't just write him off without trying to know...
    A transcendent being can do nothing in the physical universe. This means the Bible wasn't the word of God as God couldn't have influenced physical beings to write his word. If the Bible is not the word of God then who's word are they other the words of humans. If these words are but the words of humans then they are merely the product of the human mind. If they are the product of the human mind then what of God? God here is an idea made up in the minds of humans, it doesn't reflect reality. If God is wholly transcendent, we could not have been informed about him.

Many people have used words to describe God's being or nature or attributes, but few claim to know everything, omniscient, omnipresent etc. etc. they are all attributes articulated by many very great minds that actually existed pre our times - actually long before evolution was understood, and it's beauty.

P.S. You won't find God with the Scientific method - in fact, Christianity highlighted and articulated the Scientific Method to the world as the 'rule' of thumb to good exploration to understand, study and animate, the beauty that exists in all Gods creatures and discovery of same, and conquering the world. The great journey :P It was never meant to diminish or reduce to parts the value of a person or creature or thing, but to understand better the whole - Enter philosophy - which apparently Phil has studied, so no he's not a spanner, he's a person with a little depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Evolution doesn't disprove god, a lack of evidence disproves god.
    With the absense of evidence, a supreme personality being responsible for the universe is equally as likely as an infinite number of possibilities.

So there's technically a slight chance, but for all practical purposes there's no god. changing your lifestyle to please your interpretation of a supreme being is like quitting your job and ordering a new car because you 'might' win the euro millions this week.

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    Evolution doesn't disprove god, a lack of evidence disproves god.

Correct. You won't find him if you're looking for him to be the next person to show up on X factor -
    With the absense of evidence, a supreme personality being responsible for the universe is equally as likely as an infinite number of possibilities.

O yeah? It's either God or Chance - Daddy or Chips - Order or disorder - Who's your God? It's always been that way long before Evolution one way or the other...

Probability is not on the side of an ordered universe such as ours that sustains conscious human people such as ourselves that can actually explore and understand and conquer our surroundings. Unless you try to insert every other possibility going universes with no evidence either than I'm afraid your living in a highly fabulous and ordered universe...
    So there's technically a slight chance, but for all practical purposes there's no god. changing your lifestyle to please your interpretation of a supreme being is like quitting your job and ordering a new car because you 'might' win the euro millions this week.

You presume that people who put their faith in Christ want to win a lotto as a goal - that's silly, it's anything but. It's not for love of the destination, but love of the journey and how sound the path is...

They put their faith in Christ because it makes sense to do so in a 'practical' way in an increasingly inpractical world - should one consider actually persuing more about their faith other than name calling or abstract stereotyping of other people. Afterall everybody is different and everybody has their own choices to make. Life is good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

lmaopml wrote: »
    How can you prove this? I can't prove God, I put my trust and faith in him and have found harmony between living and being a conscious being in a sometimes ugly and sometimes beautiful world with others - Particularly in Christianity and Jesus Christ who claimed to be the son of God the greatest single communication ever - and he lived up to it, I couldn't just write him off without trying to know...

We can disprove an immanent god (a god who is present and interacts with humanity and the physical word) by science. We can't disprove a transcendent (a god who is outside the physical universe). But if we can disprove an immanent god, which we can, we can disprove that any man every communicated with god. You cannot communicate with a transcendent being and a transcendent being cannot communicate with you.
    Many people have used words to describe God's being or nature or attributes, but few claim to know everything, omniscient, omnipresent etc. etc. they are all attributes articulated by many very great minds that actually existed pre our times - actually long before evolution was understood, and it's beauty.

Doesn't address what I wrote.
    P.S. You won't find God with the Scientific method

If you can't find God through the scientific method then you won't find him at all.
    Christianity highlighted and articulated the Scientific Method to the world as the 'rule' of thumb to good exploration to understand, study and animate, the beauty that exists in all Gods creatures and discovery of same, and conquering the world. The great journey :P It was never meant to diminish or reduce to parts the value of a person or creature or thing, but to understand better the whole

Poetic nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

What is the fundamental basis of reality, matter or consciousness?

If it is consciousness, as quantum mechanics is pointing to, then the mechanistic/reductionist view of reality only skims the surface.

Anyway, the human mind is incapable of comprehending ultimate or absolute reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Quantum Mechanics is most certainly not pointing towards consciousness.

We can disprove an immanent god (a god who is present and interacts with humanity and the physical word) by science. We can't disprove a transcendent (a god who is outside the physical universe). But if we can disprove an immanent god, which we can, we can disprove that any man every communicated with god. You cannot communicate with a transcendent being and a transcendent being cannot communicate with you.

So do it? I'm off to bed :) Good luck with that proof -

If you can't find God through the scientific method then you won't find him at all.

I hope you live everything in your life according to your new creed - you can thank Christians for giving you such rigorous examination while you strawman them.

Poetic nonsense.

Thank you Spock. Live long and prosper :)

mickrock wrote: »
    What is the fundamental basis of reality, matter or consciousness?

If it is consciousness, as quantum mechanics is pointing to, then the mechanistic/reductionist view of reality only skims the surface.

Anyway, the human mind is incapable of comprehending ultimate or absolute reality.

You don't even understand what quantum mechanics is. The very fact that physicists have acquired a vast amount of knowledge over the past 100 years on QM means that they have a view on its mechanisms. QM is used every day in industry, FFS.

I have no problem in considering that electrical brain pulses may need some QM to understand (though I have no understand myself of the anatomy of the brain). But that does not mean that there is anything spiritual associated with the mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Time for an avatar change, methinks... First time changing it in my time here.
    OK, Pushtrak, let's have a look at your three posts. Let me grab some coffee and begin :) Thanks for being patient, and thanks for being so understanding.
    No prob. It has been an interesting discussion and it has gotten me to look up things I didn't know before.

This discussion though, on the finer points of biblical scholarship, the dating, the veracity are outside my field of experience. For my part, I don't think there is much to be gained from the subject except for if I were to research it.
    The meaning remains the same, but it's more convenient to read the Bible in the English we use in 2012 rather than the English of 1611. Wouldn't you agree?
    In a sense, I can appreciate that perspective, but I'd rather an internally consistent narrative that is harder to read than one than the differing accounts of some events in the gospels..
    If the above weren't true, I'd agree with you. Since the evidence confirms the authenticity of the Greek and Hebrew manuscripts, and since we have by the means of a concordance a means of better clarifying which words are used where and in what context, I would say far from nebulous.
    In the stead of trying to counter this, I'll not be pointing out the manuscripts, et cetera, but to the fact of how many denominations exist. Many of them would say that others, if not all of the others are doomed to hellfire. Or, they might say doomed to absence from Christ in the afterlife, or even those who say nothingness in the afterlife. I've encountered all three.

It goes back to the supposed absolute truth.. I am figuring that the absolute truth is supposed to be independent of what we think of it, is it? As in all the subjective opinions that are not of the particular faith one goes with are just subjective. But the one that whichever person has is the absolute truth. What makes any human the arbiter of truth? There is a landscape of these "absolute truths" within the one faith. You will doubtless argue that it is the holy text that is the absolute truth. But, from this book comes the very subjective. If I were to read it, I'd have my own subjective interpretation. And on, and on it goes.
    Why would I believe it is fiction? - I'm happy to go into some of these reasons in a bit more depth, and I am entirely justified to ask why you believe it is fiction. That is a positive claim.
    A historic account of the times, if written can be taken or left. It isn't ultimately going to make much difference if it were just that. The issue comes in with the arrival of the miracles. My making the claim is merely pointing out that is where it stands on the scale of literacy.
    The question is why do we believe in the logical necessity of a Creator, or if we don't what other possibilities are there?
    There are a number of possibilities in terms of us being here. To start with, the idea of a creator. Well, within this, the creator could be the deistic concept, for one, or it could be an interventionist deity. Within the idea of an interventionist deity, it could be any one. And of course, it could be a naturalistic answer in the form of the universe always existed or is part of the multiverse.
    These last days thankfully have been extended, (Jesus also backs this up in Matthew 24:22), so that we have the opportunity to know Jesus, repent of our sin before God, so that we might be forgiven. Jesus Himself explains that He will not return until the Gospel has come to all nations (Matthew 24:14).
    So god changed its mind? There is a point here about how perfect plans ought not be altered.
    Again, how did you get that from my post? - That's not what I said in that section. I never said that there is no morality other than in Christ. Rather, I think that all people can do what is good and right, due to God giving us a conscience. Indeed the Bible even tells us this much (Romans 2).
    It was close, though, and I didn't feel it appropriate to let it slide just because it wasn't directly stated. If I was heavily implying towards something you took exception to you'd call me out on it too, and rightly so.
    As for the subjugation of women argument, that seems like more an atheistic myth concerning Christianity than anything with any solid basis. Perhaps you should chat to some of the women who go to my church (about half of those who go) and see why they can reasonably believe and trust in Jesus?
    If the eternal hellfire afterlife is credible to a person, that person is more likely to accept things they otherwise would not. Also, human emotion isn't always conducive to the correct application of logic.

But let me bring up some verses to illustrate my point.
    Then the LORD God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.” Now out of the ground the LORD God had formed every beast of the field and every bird of the heavens and brought them to the man to see what he would call them. And whatever the man called every living creature, that was its name. The man gave names to all livestock and to the birds of the heavens and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper fit for him. So the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. And the rib that the LORD God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man.

(Genesis 2:18-22 ESV)
    So, a woman is equal to the rib of a man, and a helper, i.e subservient to man. Anyway, onwards to Genesis 3...
    To the woman he said,
    “I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing;
    in pain you shall bring forth children.
    Your desire shall be for your husband,
    and he shall rule over you.”
    (Genesis 3:16 ESV)
    And what of this? Last one for now. If more are required, I can present them.
    Lot went out to the men at the entrance, shut the door after him, and said, “I beg you, my brothers, do not act so wickedly. Behold, I have two daughters who have not known any man. Let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please. Only do nothing to these men, for they have come under the shelter of my roof.”
    (Genesis 19:6-8 ESV)
    I'd suspect statistically if that were actually true, I would expect there to be to be a lower proportion of women than there are in society, but realistically it is bang on. Actually, of the entire churchgoing population in Britain I would hazard a guess and say they are for the most part women.
    If the point you are trying to make is that women would never be part of an abusive ideology then that is an error. The point should stand on its own, if I were to explicitly state what I meant then there might be accusation I'm trying to equivocate one with the other. This is not my intent.
    He's also said that there is no historical evidence for the existence of Jesus. The reality is that we do have evidence for the existence of Jesus. Tacitus, Pliny the Younger, Josephus, Lucretius, and the Babylonian Talmud are just a start of where non-Jews referred to the existence of Jesus. Indeed, I'd say that there is more evidence for the existence of Jesus than of many people we regard as historical.
    It seems to be a consensus among biblical scholars from what I understand that Jesus lived. The jury is out on the miracle bit.
    Claiming that I'm ignoring any other position by simply questioning someone on their claim is a little off surely? The reality is that it is fact that there are more manuscripts of the New Testament than any other text, and the reality is that there is quite a bit of history to back up the existence of Jesus, and plenty of non-Christians have even acknowledged this much.
    You are convinced of the arguments for the miracles, et cetera and this in conjunction with the prime mover have you convinced that there is a god, the christian one specifically. The non-biblical sources do not substantiate miracles though. Why would events that would be as fantastical as this not be better recorded? Why would the odd reference to "The Christ" survive, but not an account of people raising from the dead, and other events as described in the bible? It seems a very skewed sense of priorities there. I recall looking in to some of this stuff some time back, and honestly can't recall the dates. It is getting late, too. Want to get this post written up and call it a night.
    a clearer picture of how morality works
    I would say that you are on a hard ground to defend when it comes to the arguments from morality. The specifics of the moral system of the believer is rendered irrelevant in comparison to if they pray to Jesus or not. There is no morality here. One does wrong, prays to Jesus and it is a mechanism for trying to assuage guilt. The conscience can be cleared by this process. Or, at the very least, cleared more than in its absence.
    Not at all. It's not about "comfort" at all. It's about what is more likely to be true.
    A good approach to strive for.
    I've seen many posts on boards.ie over the years from atheists including some quite recently on the Christianity forum where atheists have essentially claimed that because they just don't like the concept of sin that they don't believe.
    I think a better perspective is that a deity that would rather people worship it and apologise for wrongdoings in any way, shape or form in the form of prayer is morally questionable. It says nothing about the existence or non existence.

I think I made the point about how looking at where we are now, and trying to race ourselves back to the start of the universe, and seeing how naturalism explains as much as it has taken over from religion.. The sin issue isn't an argument against god. But reality seems largely to be.

Out of curiosity, suppose there was intelligent life on other planets. What could one infer about such a thing in terms of religion?
    We're justly deserving of hell. If God is good, He cannot allow evil to dwell in heaven. If God is just, He must punish for sin. To claim that it is a "finite" crime is to misunderstand what Christianity actually says.
    But if they repented, did they suddenly become pure good? I can't see any human being a pure representative of good... Save for if they had large aspects of their personality removed.
    There can be an absolute truth about reality, and everyone could reject it. Truth isn't absolute because everyone agrees, truth is absolute because it is true and it is real.
    Assuming absolute truth exists, it doesn't seem possible to know if/when you have it.
    No, that's not a particularly reasonable approach to take. If you want to see the torture of that position look at René Descartes - Meditations on First Philosophy. I don't think one could too readily believe in the existence of God and be a solipsist.
    I actually have that book. I'll get to it, but will be a while.
    Morality is mind independent. Good is good, and evil is evil. It's not whatever the heck we like.
    Is anything outside the one man, one woman a sin? I'm sure many adherents would say yes. Was polygamy a sin when it was in the bible?
    Let me find the entry in the concordance:
    So, it is a subject of debate exactly what is intended by in gods image? As per "note: the exact reference of whether this is moral, ethical, physical, nature, etc. is not clear."
    Again, sincerity isn't a factor in determining what is true.
    Indeed, that is so.
    Fair enough, but what does that have to do with what I originally said, or are you bringing this in as something new?
    To restate what this was about it was in reference to the bible verse where it was postulated that all know god, as if god reveals himself to all. This is evidently not true owing to the fact there are atheists and people of other faiths.
    Can we truly determine whether someone has been truly wronged in the absence of objective moral standards?
    The golden rule is a pretty solid basis.
    Biblical slavery is not the same thing as colonial slavery. It existed for an entirely different purpose.
    There was sex slavery in the bible, so I'm not really buying this line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Probability is not on the side of an ordered universe such as ours that sustains conscious human people such as ourselves that can actually explore and understand and conquer our surroundings. Unless you try to insert every other possibility going universes with no evidence either than I'm afraid your living in a highly fabulous and ordered universe...
    A universe too colossal in size to imagine, filled with trillions of planets, and you think there's a low probability that even one of these planets could support life?
    Therefore your perceived god created this one, despite the many other gods being believed-in.
    Why is it that the only reasonable explanation for the universe to the religious is that an unfathomably unlikely god (of their preference) has existed for eternity, but the universe hasn't?
    Where does that leap in logic come from?
    You can see this universe (a bit of it, anyway), and you live in it, yet despite being in awe of it, instead of choosing the most likely of two options, you choose the most ludicrous one (universe exists eternally VS god of choice with suitably conservative views which seem to mirror the socio-economic signs of the time exists eternally, decides to excrete an entire universe just so that one imperfect planet can get bogged down in delusional struggles in the name of his pretty badly written rule-book)?

kmann wrote: »
    in terms of evolution,what happened before evolution,what was the spark?
    Evolution is about the adaptation and how life, er, evolved. So, before that would be the origin of life. Or abiogenesis. Before that was part of big bang cosmology. Before that? Well, aside from the fact time started with the big bang... Well, no one can tell you anything here with 100% certainty. Well, they can try.
    Ok, we are discussing the universe. Which is a sample size of one. Which is what we have. On what do you base your probabilities? Discussing probabilities on the scales you suggest... Well, show us your workings. Hopefully the margins will be wide enough to support this.

kmann wrote: »
    what was the spark?

Abiogenesis

I would suggest anyone who hasn't seen Cosmos to remedy that. Also worth noting is that there will be a sequel airing on Fox next year... http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/05/arts/television/fox-plans-new-cosmos-with-seth-macfarlane-as-a-producer.html
    On Friday the Fox network is to announce that it has ordered a 13-episode series, “Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey,” expected to be broadcast in 2013. As part of a creative team that includes Ann Druyan, Sagan’s widow and a collaborator on the original “Cosmos,” one of the executive producers is Seth MacFarlane, the creator, producer, co-star and animating spirit of “Family Guy,” the bawdy and irreverent Fox cartoon sitcom.

Abiogenesis

I do enjoy a bit of science fiction.

• Advertisement

I do enjoy a bit of science fiction.

Elaborate please? Are you honestly trying to call a serious area of study mere "fiction"?

Elaborate please? Are you honestly trying to call a serious area of study mere "fiction"?

Life as purely a product of matter is a fiction to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

^^ This took me pretty much two hours to write, perhaps we need to focus as to what we should prioritise?

I cannot fucking believe you went to that effort. This kind of thing really makes me question my understanding of the human mind as it stands.

Life as purely a product of matter is a fiction to me.

What do you think you're made off? Everything in your body can be broken down to natural inorganic elements. You are matter! If you're not matter, then what are you?

And why isn't this shit sent to the creepy religious/atheist forums for them to **** over for 8 years like that absurdly long "origins of specious nonsense" thread?

• Advertisement

OK, Pushtrak, let's have a look at your three posts. Let me grab some coffee and begin :)

That really bugged the shit out of me for some reason. I literally wanted to fuck my computer out the window when I read it.

What do you think you're made off? Everything in your body can be broken down to natural inorganic elements. You are matter! If you're not matter, then what are you?

What about a body that has just died?

One second there was life and the next it's gone, yet the material body is the same.

There's more to the life force than just matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Good morning :)
    Hardly tackling the issue. Your trying to justify god's existence by saying he is "outside creation". That doesn't tackle anything.

We can prove that god isn't an immanent being. Accepting that god is not immanent but rather a wholly transcendent being then there is no way he could have aided in the development of earth, life or humanity or indeed the development of the entire universe.

A transcendent being can do nothing in the physical universe. This means the Bible wasn't the word of God as God couldn't have influenced physical beings to write his word. If the Bible is not the word of God then who's word are they other the words of humans. If these words are but the words of humans then they are merely the product of the human mind. If they are the product of the human mind then what of God? God here is an idea made up in the minds of humans, it doesn't reflect reality. If God is wholly transcendent, we could not have been informed about him.

I don't see how a transcendent being couldn't create the universe. Before the universe, there wasn't a universe. God created that universe, and God created what falls within it.

If God created that universe, and knows fully of all its physical laws, I don't see how it is impossible for Him to act within it. Why do you presume so, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Let's look more closely at why the infinite regress argument is IMO bogus from what I studied of the Philosophy of Religion. Let me try and illustrate it textually as best as I can. Presuming the first set of brackets is the cause, and the second set of brackets is the result and ... is an infinite prior set of causes.

[...=>Z=>X=>Y==>...][X]

If the prior set of causes had not terminated at some point, creation would have never happened. The prior set of causes would still be causing the other and causing the other and causing the other ad-infinitum without result.

Even if we argued that creation was an ongoing process, changing this to:
    [...=>Z=>X=>Y==>...][X...]

This still leaves us in a situation where finite causes, require causes, and this is why we have a regress. That's why I brought into the question of God's infinity, because an infinite cause is required to terminate this process because it does not require a prior cause, thus terminating the process in which yet another cause is necessary. Creation would have never started, never mind finished.

There are only two ways that one can show that an infinite and intelligent cause to the universe is not required:
    1) Show that causation is completely unnecessary. This is going to be difficult because it is simply logical to think of all finite things having causes. I will need good reason in order to discard this.
    2) Show somehow that God is not infinite in the Christian faith. I.E - That He began to be a finite time ago.

Here's a link to a post I posted about the subject a few years ago which takes a look into some of the philosophical arguments.

Hopefully you can get back to me on this.

I'm going to be looking at Pushtrak's posts and The Corinthian's posts at some point when I get a chance.

I argue that God is active within Creation, and not only active, but that God spoke His word, and we received it. Rather than trusting in the conjecture of human opinion, if God has spoken, His opinion counts and must be heard and has profound consequences for all. The question is whether or not the Bible is God's word, I'm confident that it is, but this is something we're going to need to discuss in more depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Its a logical conclusion.
    No, claiming that religion during the Enlightenment constituted as significant influence on the works of people such as Newton is not a conclusion as you have not presented a complete argument to arrive at it. All you've done is:
    1. Religion was influential at the time.
    2. Newton was a theologian.
    3. Newton was influenced by religion in his theories.
    Going from the second to the third step requires quite a few presumtions, not least the level of influence that being a theologan had on Newton, which given his unorthodox views is questionable.

You also have to consider that Newton was not the only Deist of his time. His science was examined, reviewed and accepted by many other intellectuals of his time. Unless you want to suggest that they were all subliminally brainwashed by religion into arriving at a 'creator conclusion' then it weakens you own conclusion.
    Of course it didnt invalidate his maths but it shows quite clearly how seriously he took the notion of the existance of god throughout his life and unless I have missed something I dont remember him putting forth a mathematical explanation of the existence of god, just a conclusion drawn from his observations and personal belief. He didnt just develop the idea of god because of his discoveries.
    Nonetheless, his maths ultimately demand a prime mover for them to work and as they could be seen to empirically work in the physical World, it is very difficult not to come to that conclusion.

Note also, that his view of God was heretical as far as religion was concerned, which further dampens your assertion that it was ultimately religion that shaped his views, as he rejected the religious model of God.
    I stated that belief in god in this day and age can not but come in some part from religion.
    I concur. But you did not limit yourself to this day and age when you made your assertion, or I misread it (I'm not going to bother checking), because otherwise I would not disagree with you at all.

In this day and age only religion supports the concept of God. My purpose was to point out that this is not always true, as such concepts existed prior to the development of religion and more recently as a result of science.

But in this day and age? No argument there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

There's more to the life force than just matter.

Just because you believe that to be true doesn't make it true, and dismissing a valued area of science as "fiction" without reason is willful ignorance and not something to be proud of admitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I suppose I believe in the idea of God, more-so than actually believe in God. He's a psychological comfort blanket.

Daniel Dennett is currently doing a study on such people actually. His phrase is people who "believe in belief". People who actually do not buy the god idea themselves but have some other level of emotional or intellectual investment in maintaining the idea anyway, either by acting like they believe it themselves or maintaining it in others.

More often it appears to be the latter, not the former like yourself, in that people who do not think there is a god for reasons of their own think that it is better off if OTHER people do.

Personally I can not maintain that kind of dissonance, even when I try. If there is no argument, evidence, data or reasons to suggest an idea is true I can neither act like I think it is true, convince myself it is true, or wish that other people would consider it true.
    Firstly, just to say, I have no interest in responding to slander and falsehood about me

Nor would I in your place. The problem however is that the things you refuse to defend are not falsehoods or slander. They are all perfectly true and accurate. Not a subtle difference I am sure you will grant and if anyone wants me to back any one of them up I am more than happy to provide all the quotes, links and data.
    Some others would almost expect me to give up the day job in order to respond to their posts

Not at all. You have nearly 20,000 posts here. Clearly you have the time to respond. The issue is that you pick and choose your responses and when someone shows all your basis for defending god to be perfectly false you just do a runner and pretend to have them on ignore.

You try this "Oh I just do not have the time" and "I will get back to that later" line all the time, but have been doing so for years. There comes a point when the rest of us realise you are just stalling and have no actual intention to return to anything or address anything. And with 20,000 posts it is clear that whatever resources you are lacking, time is not one of them.
    In all reality atheism is just another ideology concerning God. It shouldn't be presumed to be true.

This is as big a falsehood as last week when you claimed that atheism tells us to stop trying to find out answers to questions. Worse, you well know it too.

You are the one making claims of god, magical jesus and more. The onus is on you to establish these things as true, not for us to prove them false. Again you well know this.

Atheism is just the position of not buying your claims. It is not something one "presumes to be true". It is the position of simply realizing that the claims YOU make are not just slightly, but ENTIRELY unsubstantiated. Again, you know this.

That you know all this but keep posting like you pretend otherwise is a sign of just who and what we are dealing with in you that is clearer than anything I could say or do myself to highlight it. You are simply outright, and consistently, lying about things you very much know to be other than how you try and fail to paint them.
    ^^ This took me pretty much two hours to write, perhaps we need to focus as to what we should prioritise?

Sure, pick the most important part of the post and I will deal with it. Since you have 2 hours to throw away perhaps next time you can focus on quality not quantity as having read what you spent 2 hours producing... quantity is about all it contains.

Oh no wait, you KNOW I can deal with it quite well so you are pretending to have me on ignore when you do not. Forgot again, sorry.

Seachmall wrote: »
    Just because you believe that to be true doesn't make it true, and dismissing a valued area of science as "fiction" without reason is willful ignorance and not something to be proud of admitting.

The same could be said of your belief in abiogenesis.

Just because you believe life is soley a function of matter doesn't make it so.

Abiogenesis research has been going nowhere fast for a long time.

The same could be said of your belief in abiogenesis.
    I don't know enough about abiogenesis to have a belief in it.
    Abiogenesis research has been going nowhere fast for a long time.
    As compared to dualism which has been making strides in recent years?

If the prior set of causes had not terminated at some point, creation would have never happened. The prior set of causes would still be causing the other and causing the other and causing the other ad-infinitum without result.

That is not how infinity works at all I am afraid but even that is not the biggest problem with your post.

The biggest problem is that you are arguing not at all for god in this post, but for something that atheists and scientists already know and agree on. Time had a beginning.

Time is an attribute of the universe post-Expansion. We already know this. Therefore time, and causality which is also time based, also only make sense at this point.

Therefore whatever the explanations for our universe are, it is not clear that we can even talk about them using concepts like time, causality and causes.

Again we know all this.

The problem is not with understanding this. The problem is your wholesale invention of a god which you wheel in to fill the gap in understanding about this. You are essentially saying "My ignorance about the explanations of the universe are too uncomfortable to deal with and so I am inventing a god to explain it all away".

And then you act like this is actually a valid method for arguing for the existence of a god? It is not. "I do not understand it... therefore god" is not, has never been, and... despite your fetid desperation to make it so... will likely never be an argument for the existence of god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Bbbbbut what about the eye?!!!

/runs off :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

You are essentially saying "My
    ignorance about the explanations of the universe
    are too uncomfortable to deal with and so I am
    inventing a god to explain it all away".

I'm pretty sure God invented him. In fact God invented all of us. You too.

Go ahead and ignore every possibility except the ones that suit you. But when you're ready, God will be there for you.

Go ahead and ignore every possibility except the ones that suit you. But when you're ready, God will be there for you.

You do see the irony in this, right?

Seachmall wrote: »
    You do see the irony in this, right?

That's not a real quote in your sig is it???:pac:

Which one?

Ush1 wrote: »

Yup.

don't forget the one about dashing babies against rocks and armies raping virgins

between that and "god will be waiting for you"... no thanks :rolleyes:

More often it appears to be the latter, not the former like yourself, in that people who do not think there is a god for reasons of their own think that it is better off if OTHER people do.
    Well there are some fairly compelling sociological arguments for why this might be the case.

One of the things about religion is that it tends to come with a moral framework that is inspired from the divine. You can have human-inspired moral frameworks too, but as they ultimately come from a flesh-and-bone peer, their authority is subject to question. The divine is not, because it is 'beyond our comprehension' and for bonus points likely to 'smite' you if you transgress.

Indeed, if you look at the Ten Commandments, only the first four relate to religion, while the latter six are actually a pretty basic set of rules necessary for a community to coexist peacefully; setting out rules regarding family, marriage, property and, of course, capital crimes. Such divinely inspired codes of conduct are commonplace in most civilizations in history.

From a social standpoint, Cicero probably hinted best at this when he wrote that "in this subject of the nature of the gods the first question is: do the gods exist or do they not? It is difficult, you will say, to deny that they exist. I would agree, if we were arguing the matter in a public assembly, but in a private discussion of this kind it is perfectly easy to do so."

All completely OT, of course.
    Personally I can not maintain that kind of dissonance, even when I try. If there is no argument, evidence, data or reasons to suggest an idea is true I can neither act like I think it is true, convince myself it is true, or wish that other people would consider it true.
    We all indulge in that kind of dissonance, even when it's not religious; patriotism, etiquette, tradition and even romance are often full of things that make no sense, we know they make no sense but it gives us a warm fuzzy feeling to run with them anyway.

One of the things about religion is that it tends to come with a moral framework that is inspired from the divine.

Or more accurately moral frameworks come from moral philosophers and some of them invent gods with which to give their own moral frameworks a stamp of approval. Religion as such is more packaging for moral frameworks rather than something moral frame works actually come from. We all have opinions on what should be moral or immoral. Some of us simply want to give our opinions extra weight by inventing a powerful backing for it.

As such these "divinely inspired moral frameworks" are still just "human-inspired moral frameworks" that people are adding packaging to by inventing god(s) who agree with them.

To my mind however the effect is the opposite. Trying to elevate one moral frame work over another by using invention, fantasy and lies actually takes away from a frame work. If it is from the outset based in dishonesty then what use is it?
    All completely OT, of course.

It is rare to find a 26 page long thread on here where anything actually still is OT :-)

It is a common theist canard to paint the atheist camp as simply "ignoring the possibility" or "rejecting the possibility" and the like. Thankfully however the disingenuous straw man does not hold at all and the truth is actually the complete opposite. Not to mention we could waste just as much time turning it back on theists by simply declaring they ignore the possibility there is no god.

People like myself are well aware of the possibility that there is a god. Of course it is possible. The possibility is not what is in question. It is also possible that I can levitate and it is also possible that you were the one who killed OJ Simpsons wife.

The issue is not with acknowledging what is "possible". The issue is looking at all the possibilities and from the pile identifying which possibility have even a shred of argument, evidence, data, or reasons to suggest they might actually be true or credible.

So we can all happily agree that it is "possible" there is a god. No one is denying or ignoring that. This however does not change the fact that there is nothing on offer whatsoever to suggest there actually is one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

You are essentially saying "My
    ignorance about the explanations of the universe
    are too uncomfortable to deal with and so I am
    inventing a god to explain it all away".

My parents were always adamant that I should not associate myself with people who do awful things, shoplifters , murderers etc. I guess that rules out imaginary genocidal maniacs that have much in common with wife beaters....

Or more accurately moral frameworks come from moral philosophers and some of them invent gods with which to give their own moral frameworks a stamp of approval.
    Yes, I probably should have written allegedly inspired from the divine.
    To my mind however the effect is the opposite. Trying to elevate one moral frame work over another by using invention, fantasy and lies actually takes away from a frame work. If it is from the outset based in dishonesty then what use is it?
    It only takes away from the frame work if the lie fails to convince enough people. The end justifies the means.

It only takes away from the frame work if the lie fails to convince enough people. The end justifies the means.

Yes indeed, in fact I think the fact some people feel it is ok to lie egregiously if you do so to lead people to what you feel is an even more important truth goes a long way, if not the whole way, to explaining the content of Jakkass/Philos posts.

Yes indeed, in fact I think the fact some people feel it is ok to lie egregiously if you do so to lead people to what you feel is an even more important truth goes a long way, if not the whole way, to explaining the content of Jakkass/Philos posts.
    Perhaps. On the other hand you presume that such people share the same cognative abilities as yourself or that they are not subject to neurosis or psychotic influences and they may genuinely not see the lie. Not everyone is wired the same.

Additionally, whether you call them white lies or cite Machiavelli to describe them, we all tend to do this on one level or another. Why do we tell our children than Santa exists, for example?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Additionally, whether you call them white lies or cite Machiavelli to describe them, we all tend to do this on one level or another. Why do we tell our children than Santa exists, for example?

It's important to tell them Santa exists so they learn later on that they shouldn't believe all the crap grown ups tell them is true :pac:

Perhaps. On the other hand you presume that such people share the same cognative abilities as yourself or that they are not subject to neurosis or psychotic influences and they may genuinely not see the lie. Not everyone is wired the same.

It is an open question so far I guess.
    we all tend to do this on one level or another. Why do we tell our children than Santa exists, for example?

I never have :)

• Advertisement

Why do we tell our children than Santa exists, for example?

I suppose because it's charming and it's more exciting to a child the idea of Santa then just their parents buying them gifts.

Thats nice.
    Go ahead and ignore every possibility except the ones that suit you.
    I don't think you see the irony.
    But when you're ready, God will be there for you.
    When you presuppose god, you believe in it? Woah, take it easy on the compelling arguments.

I suppose because it's charming and it's more exciting to a child the idea of Santa then just their parents buying them gifts.
    QED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Actually this whole Santa Claus analogy is interesting because in my case it illustrates how people cling to the idea of God when deep down they know it to be untrue.

My parents sat me down one day, the day had come to tell me Santa didn't exist and they tried to gently break it by asking the following;

"Why do you think rich kids get better presents from Santa than poor kids?"

An interesting and thought stimulating question for a 10-11yr old (I think). Highlight non-existence of Santa while pointing out the reality of inequality in the world. How did young Jimoslimos choose to answer? Rich kids are better behaved? No....using all of my logic I came up with the following....

"Probably because rich kids have bigger chimneys than poor ones..."

Now I knew well there was no Santa but part of me still wanted that big cheery man with presents to come every year. I tried everything to justify it to myself, reckoned if the big man started around NZ/AUS and travelled westwards that would give more hours of darkness to work with. I knew that this still made the feat impossible but chose to ignore this and other evidence that didn't fit the theory. This is what I see the deeply religious doing, not so much trying to convert anyone but rather convince themselves

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Actually this whole Santa Claus analogy is interesting because in my case it illustrates how people cling to the idea of God when deep down they know it to be untrue.

My parents sat me down one day, the day had come to tell me Santa didn't exist and they tried to gently break it by asking the following;

"Why do you think rich kids get better presents from Santa than poor kids?"

An interesting and thought stimulating question for a 10-11yr old (I think). Highlight non-existence of Santa while pointing out the reality of inequality in the world. How did young Jimoslimos choose to answer? Rich kids are better behaved? No....using all of my logic I came up with the following....

"Probably because rich kids have bigger chimneys than poor ones..."

Now I knew well there was no Santa but part of me still wanted that big cheery man with presents to come every year. I tried everything to justify it to myself, reckoned if the big man started around NZ/AUS and travelled westwards that would give more hours of darkness to work with. I knew that this still made the feat impossible but chose to ignore this and other evidence that didn't fit the theory. This is what I see the deeply religious doing, not so much trying to convert anyone but rather convince themselves

Where the analogy is even better with religion, is the latent control the parent has over the child because of the lie. "If you don't be good, Santa won't come."

• Advertisement
Advertisement