Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megaupload shut down by Feds.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Americans again trying to police the world, who do they think they are?.

So a company builds and provide a legitimate internet file sharing service, which can't be searched and actively scans for copyrighted content.
    The userbase abuse the service by sharing copyrighted material, so the feds
    go the whole way to NZ to arrest the owners?. You can do exactly the same thing with google, but the feds aren't heading to California to arrest Larry and Serg.

Its like one of us building a road and then getting arrested because someone was speeding on that road. Complete bull****.

The laughable thing is that the chief exec of MU is Alicia keys husband, a major music producer. He wasn't even mentioned in the indictment!.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ha thats mad!

Has anyone seen http://megavideo.bz/
    Untitled_12.gif

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭RogerThis

amacachi wrote: »
    Faster and cheaper technology did that.

Good one, and Apple invented the mp3 so they could sell the ipod.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Feelgood wrote: »
    The laughable thing is that the chief exec of MU is Alicia keys husband, a major music producer. He wasn't even mentioned in the indictment!.

I'm not sure a lot of people knew this although it does make sense now giving how many top musicians they were able to get to feature in that music video Universal Music seemed to have such a big problem with.

I think what might have set off some of the bigger record labels etc was the fact megaupload was apparently planning to start its own record label with much more generous margins for the musicians themselves. I'm sure they saw them as a threat in ways than one. Apparently this has been a case building for a while though but I'm sure megauploads plans were too.

Having any sort of server on US soil was probably a bad move though as it always put them at risk even if they were convinced what they were doing was legal. Innocent until proven guilty means nothing in the US now, just look at how the megavideo was first pulled on youtube for absolutely no reason.

It all really sounds like something that would be in Team America though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Feelgood wrote: »
    So a company builds and provide a legitimate internet file sharing service, which can't be searched and actively scans for copyrighted content.
    The userbase abuse the service by sharing copyrighted material, so the feds
    go the whole way to NZ to arrest the owners?. You can do exactly the same thing with google, but the feds aren't heading to California to arrest Larry and Serg.
    I'm no apologist for the MPAA but it's blatantly obvious that the vast majority of Megaupload's paying subscribers are doing so to download pirated material.

Megaupload can probably claim ignorance of the content of their users files but if it's shown that they haven't been implementing an aggressive policing policy like YouTube do then they will be in major trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

was icefilms any good, never bothered to jailbreak my atv2, was it full HD, dts etc. and i'm guessing it was illegal if its been shutdown, why can't people just buy their content?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

token56 wrote: »

I think what might have set off some of the bigger record labels etc was the fact megaupload was apparently planning to start its own record label with much more generous margins for the musicians themselves. I'm sure they saw them as a threat in ways than one. Apparently this has been a case building for a while though but I'm sure megauploads plans were too.

That is interesting, I had no idea about the record label startup though now it all makes sense. How come he wasn't mentioned in the indictment though?. Not a word about him like.
    Having any sort of server on US soil was probably a bad move though as it always put them at risk even if they were convinced what they were doing was legal. Innocent until proven guilty means nothing in the US now, just look at how the megavideo was first pulled on youtube for absolutely no reason.

This is whats bugging me, as far as I am aware MUs servers and data
    centre are in China. So how do the feds have jurisdiction to arrest people in
    NZ for activities on systems in China?. Surely it would be up to the Chinese
    government to enforce local laws?.

The same happened with Rapidshare.de, the German government came down hard on them and shut them down. RS moved their infrastructure to
    Switzerland and RS.com was born. German government couldn't touch them
    because it wasn't their jurisdiction. So how come the feds can waltz around the world arresting who they like?
    It all really sounds like something that would be in Team America though.

**** YEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHH! :D
    KerranJast wrote: »
    Megaupload can probably claim ignorance of the content of their users files but if it's shown that they haven't been implementing an aggressive policing policy like YouTube do then they will be in major trouble.

I don't think these guys were stupid though, I mean if you are making that much money on a service like MU you would at a minimum have some sort of heavy policing policy in place just to cover your arse at least.

Even from an audit point of view, they wouldn't have been able to keep surviving year to year without something in place to keep the digital rights at bay.

RS policing policy is very tight, but in fairness there is still petabytes of illegal material on it. How would you even go about policing anyways. If I upload a recent movie and call it 123.avi in a rar file called 321.rar. Unless that file is individually opened whos to know what it is?.

There is no way of checking every upload for illegal content, its impossible. Some stuff will always slip through the cracks, though I don't think that should be blamed on the company offering the service. Again I can upload illegal content to Google just as easy, but there would never be a word about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jc84 wrote: »
    was icefilms any good, never bothered to jailbreak my atv2, was it full HD, dts etc. and i'm guessing it was illegal if its been shutdown, why can't people just buy their content?

Icefilms is up and running,they have switched sources for their links until this is sorted,they are missing some episodes of tv shows atm but are working on it.
    A lot of people don't want to wait ages to see the latest tv shows,some are over a year behind over here,using icefilms etc. you can see them within hours of airing in the States.
    A lot of guys in the soccer forum use jailbroken atv with it & xmbc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Doesn't Ice films still work, using 2shared? Haven't checked it on ATV, but from my pc I can see all the MU links are gone but there is still plenty of content using 2shared links..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

megaupload didn't have much anway, filesonic is where it's at.

• Advertisement

KerranJast wrote: »
    I'm no apologist for the MPAA but it's blatantly obvious that the vast majority of Megaupload's paying subscribers are doing so to download pirated material.

As far as I'm aware neither megaupload or youtube have to implement aggressive policing policies. They just have to comply with valid taken down notices. I'm not sure they have to actively check if material upload is copyrighted, maybe I'm wrong here. Youtube implements such an aggressive policy though because everything they have is fully indexed and searchable and it wants to be able to host copyright material such as songs etc on its site. So it needs to play ball with big record labels etc. Megaupload doesn't need to do this.

But looking at the indictment there does seem to be some causes of concern.
    When a file is being uploaded to Megaupload.com, the Conspiracy’s automatedsystem calculates a unique identifier for the file (called a “MD5 hash”) that is generated using amathematical algorithm. If, after the MD5 hash calculation, the system determines that theuploading file already exists on a server controlled by the Mega Conspiracy, Megaupload.comdoes not reproduce a second copy of the file on that server. Instead, the system provides a newand unique URL link to the new user that is pointed to the original file already present on theserver. If there is more than one URL link to a file, then any attempt by the copyright holder toterminate access to the file using the Abuse Tool or other DMCA takedown request will failbecause the additional access links will continue to be available
    On or about June 24, 2010, members of the Mega Conspiracy were informed,pursuant to a criminal search warrant from the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, that thirty-nine infringing copies of copyrighted motion pictures were present on theirleased servers at Carpathia Hosting, a hosting company headquartered in the Eastern District of Virginia. A member of the Mega Conspiracy informed several of his co-conspirators at that time that he located the named files using internal searches of their systems. As of November 18,2011, more than a year later, thirty-six of the thirty-nine infringing motion pictures were stillbeing stored on the servers controlled by the Mega Conspiracy

It seems as thought some taken down notices may not have been complied with and even if a taken down notice is complied is questionable whether megaupload simply deletes the link for the file or actually deletes the file itself. It seems like because of the system they have implemented, deleting one file would effect several links so it might not be a policy they implemented. It's all very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

zerks wrote: »
    Icefilms is up and running,they have switched sources for their links until this is sorted,they are missing some episodes of tv shows atm but are working on it.
    A lot of people don't want to wait ages to see the latest tv shows,some are over a year behind over here,using icefilms etc. you can see them within hours of airing in the States.
    A lot of guys in the soccer forum use jailbroken atv with it & xmbc.

so is it free to watch them?, you can buy the latest episodes on us/uk itunes a couple of hours after they air

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The great internet war of 2012 has well and truly begun!

so is it free to watch them?, you can buy the latest episodes on us/uk itunes a couple of hours after they air
    Have you been living in a cellar underground for the last while? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Right folks. I'm getting cranky here so I'm going to be clear:

There is to be no further discussion of technologies / plugins / whatever that allow you to watch pirated TV shows and movies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I never used Megaupload for storage due to the crappy Upload speeds of our ISPs but it was the fastest free download service out there.
    It would always max out my 7MB connection, the others would run about half that.:(

Quite a good article on summarising the evidence they seem to have against Megaupload

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/why-the-feds-smashed-megaupload.ars

Looks like at least some people within megaupload will certainly be in trouble. Not sure it the site itself could recover though. Hard to see how it would do it if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Im not sure why anybody would store there personal stuff on megaupload long term, seems a bit like using bank of Iran to store your valuables.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Buy them..........:pac::pac::pac:

Sure isn't everything on the internet free? Have you heard of this great service called google?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

zerks wrote: »
    Sure isn't everything on the internet free? Have you heard of this great service called google?
    Does Google allow you to search for free?

I've been paying for searches through Koogle all this time... I'm an idiot!

tumblr_lfazwi13lN1qzocfz.gif

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

That's why it was shut down. It was actually half decent and everybody was using it. Then Icefilms came along and put practically every movie and tv show on Earth on it.

I remember when Mininova was taken down, that was the end of torrenting.
    I remember when MyP2P was taken down, that was the end of live streaming.
    So now Megaupload has been taken down, so that's the end of direct downloading then.
    Good work Mr. Policeman.;)

I think things are slowly changing towards the type of service you are talking where someone can pay a fixed subscription and get whatever product it is that they want on demand and on multiple devices. Netflix does provide a good service for tv and movies for a reasonable price in the US. I know the choice is not quite there yet in the Irish/UK service but that will change soon hopefully.

There are two big issues here really, profit and control. There are so many big players involved in providing wide ranging services like people want and they all want a big piece of the profits but people dont want to have to pay big prices for individual products anymore.

Companies also like being in control. They had control when they were able to decide distribution right of movies etc, or control the demand of a product by realising x amount of copies. But all this control was because it was physical media. But now with the world wide web and much greater bandwidths being provide people can get whatever it is they want when they want with illegal or sometimes legal copies. Companies therefore dont have the same control anymore. But the harder they fight to keep the type of control they have at the moment the more people will resist. If they just fully embraced the possibilities that are on offer they can probably find models that allow them both the profit and control they want and maybe even keep the consumer happy too. But their mindset is too draconian.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I have deleted some posts and issued warnings. After this post it will be infractions.

YOU ARE NOT TO DISCUSS CONVENIENT WAYS TO PIRATE OR WAYS THAT YOU CONVENIENTLY PIRATE.

If there is any more of this I will close the thread. I'm very close to doing that anyway, but the megaupload case itself is worth a bit of a chinwag. It's possible to do that without saying how you go about watching your favourite TV shows illegally. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It would appear that they dug themselves a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

It matters not.

100's of other sites with better quality free movies etc.

Heck! Ive got free streaming on live premier league football and movies from the cinema on my i-phone through a free app!!

And when the feds are trying to fully take down megavideo another will just take its place.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'm locking this thread. Ample warning was given not to be promoting or encouraging piracy in the thread. Discussion of the Megaupload situation is fine but there is too many people discussing "free Movies/TV Shows" which is not acceptable

Nick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement