Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you support the return of the Gaelic Nobility to Ireland?

Options
  • 28-10-2011 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

If not a parliamentary model akin to the UK, would you be in favor if it if it was solely a ceremonial role that replaced the presidency?

I am obviously referring to the clans that fled during, before and after the "Flight of the Earls" and also the ones who remained.

And Brehon Law, what would be your opinion on amending the constitution to accomodate some of the laws that would benefit society?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Some aspects of Brehon law live on. No I wouldnt be in favour of any form of nobility in Ireland. I'd actually be strongly opposed to the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭RepublicanEagle

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Some aspects of Brehon law live on. No I wouldnt be in favour of any form of nobility in Ireland. I'd actually be strongly opposed to the idea.

Which aspects of Brehon Law live on?

What reasons would you have for opposing it? Would you not agree that there would be a lot of cultural benefits and a feeling of regaining a part of our heritage that has been lost for centuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

All those presidential debates makes you yearn for a monarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Yes and I think i shall be your King, I will be just and only sleep with your first born daughters.

NOW KNEEL OR I WILL MAKE YOU KNEEL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

The concept of copyright comes from Brehon law

I dont think anyone should have a state title due to an accident of birth, you should earn your position in this day and age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Are those guys that would qualify not spread all over spain and the continent now? whats the point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

No! We call the monarchy in England retarded and you want to install one here.

sgb wrote: »
    All those presidential debates makes you yearn for a monarchy

Yup, no more stupid debates, posters, envelopes, alleged murder attempts, and not having to fork out millions for presidential state pensions (we will be paying a lot for Mary Robinson, Mary MacAleese and Michael D. Higgins combined together)

The concept of copyright comes from Brehon law

I dont think anyone should have a state title due to an accident of birth, you should earn your position in this day and age

Well if you are born into a political dynasty in the rural areas (Healy Raes anyone) you more less are sorted for life, which is an unfortunate fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Lets keep it a Republic folks!!! "We serve neither King nor Kaiser" It may be far from perfect but I would still rather be a free citizen of a republic then a subject of a monarchist state! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

Hmmmm...

Well, the fact Gaelic is barely spoken by the majority gets rid of that idea.

Gingko wrote: »
    Lets keep it a Republic folks!!! "We serve neither King nor Kaiser" It may be far from perfect but I would still rather be a free citizen of e republic then a subject of a monarchist state! :)

High King ftw, has more of an epic ring to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    No I wouldnt be in favour of any form of nobility in Ireland.

What if we kept it classy?

lisa-gerald.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Which aspects of Brehon Law live on?

What reasons would you have for opposing it? Would you not agree that there would be a lot of cultural benefits and a feeling of regaining a part of our heritage that has been lost for centuries?
    Things like compensation in place of punishment.

The concept of nobility seems silly and backwards to me. I dont think I'm better than anyone else but I definitely dont think another human that shytes like the rest of us is any better than me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

What if we kept it classy?

lisa-gerald.png

Kill it! Kill it with fire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

why the fk would anyone want this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'll take the position of High King if that's alright. I'm an O'Connor, the last Irish royal family.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I'm descended from a Celtic King from County Galway, does that count me as Gaelic nobility? If so count me in. :cool:

What are you suggesting us Gaelic nobility do? Sit in a House of Lords equivalent like how they do in Britain alongside Lords like Lord Sugar and Lord Voldemort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

I'll take the position of High King if that's alright. I'm an O'Connor, the last Irish royal family.:cool:

not O'byrnes? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Never mind the Meath boyos, the capital was Cashel at one stage
    Up Tipp :cool:

Of course the city folk in Limerick, Dublin and Waterford let themselves get taken over by the Vikings.
    Hmmm, we can't call them West Brits but maybe there is another name for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

As pathetic as our candidates for the presidency may have been at least we get to choose who we feel is the least pathetic.

One thing I like about our republic is that we are citizens not subjects.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Well if you are born into a political dynasty in the rural areas (Healy Raes anyone) you more less are sorted for life, which is an unfortunate fact.

Yes, Ireland is riddled with "mini-monarchies" from one end to the other, and most of them have earned their positions through bribery, corruption and general sliminess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Diarmait Mac Murchada, what a guy!

Not a bad idea OP.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    One thing I like about our republic is that we are citizens not subjects.

I don't know every monarchy but in the UK they are citizens also

Changed from being subjects back in the eighties
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    Diarmait Mac Murchada, what a guy!

Trust you to bring up Diarmait Mac Murchada/Dermot McMurrough you are always looking for a reaction

Greatest traitor in Irish history and invited over Henry II and so began the eight hundred years
    The Brits didn't invade, they were invited by a power hungry chieftan.

Of course you know this Keith, stirring it as always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I quite fancy renovating the Rock of Dunamaise and ascending to the throne of my ancestors. And my mother is an O'Connor so I could work something out with the DEFTLEFTHAND.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

RichieC wrote: »
    not O'byrnes? :confused:

Rory O'Connor was the last High King in 1198.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Which Gaelic nobility are you referring to?

There were quite a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

No, unlike the British I can appreciate my country's heritage without needing to cling onto the outdated aspects of it.

Hey this isn't just a rural thing.

Lemass and Haughey in Dublin North
    The Lenihans in Dublin West.
    Going back a bit, Liam Cosgrave

The Dubs are masters at it too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

mikemac wrote: »
    I don't know every monarchy but in the UK they are citizens also

Changed from being subjects back in the eighties

Trust you to bring up Diarmait Mac Murchada/Dermot McMurrough you are always looking for a reaction

Greatest traitor in Irish history and invited over Henry II and so began the eight hundred years
    The Brits didn't invade, they were invited by a power hungry chieftan.

Of course you know this Keith, stirring it as always
    Do you disagree with the OPs idea?

Advertisement