Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

taking 3 months out to travel and the dole

• 28-05-2011 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

hi, i am on dole now since march and was thinking with a long while to take about 3 months out and go travelling. my question is when i come back will i have any problem signing back on again. seem as i will be signed off and not being actively looking for a job in this time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭movingtotheuk

Might be an idea to apply for jobs while abroad via the internet and then when you are back you can say you went looking for jobs while you were abroad. Just an idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

How can you afford to fund travelling for 3 months if you're on the dole?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

professore wrote: »
    The OP's finances are not being discussed here!! HELPFUL AND CIVIL replies please.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

hi, i am on dole now since march and was thinking with a long while to take about 3 months out and go travelling. my question is when i come back will i have any problem signing back on again. seem as i will be signed off and not being actively looking for a job in this time.

To the best of my knowledge if you are not receiving benefits from the state you are not obliged to be actively seeking work ect.

professore wrote: »

Allow me to rephrase the above. IF it is a means tested benefit I think this would be the first question you will be asked on your return. Since the OP states that s/he has been "on the dole" since march then I am assuming it is unemployment benefit, which is not means tested (not yet anyway) or whatever they call it nowadays as opposed to unemployment assistance which is.

By the way no insult was meant, I was simply curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

professore it is no business of anyones how the OP is funding his trip and doesn't haven't to justify it to you or to anyone else on this forum.
    Please do not drag this thread further off topic by continuing on this vein.
    Oh and by the way, if someone is on the dole, they can have savings. Perhaps if you want to know more on how the means test works, you should visit www.welfare.ie.

cee_jay wrote: »
    professore it is no business of anyones how the OP is funding his trip and doesn't haven't to justify it to you or to anyone else on this forum.

Last comment on the subject from me - if the OP is receiving means tested state benefits then it would be the business of revenue to ask this question. I was also asking the question in the sense that is it really a good idea for the OP to travel now. Travel to look for a job abroad maybe, but use up money that they may well need in the future?

I have received state benefits myself in the past and the way things are going at the moment may well do in the future, assuming I can get any, being self employed it is virtually impossible to get any welfare - so I am not passing judgement or talking down to the OP or whatever.

Also with the state of the economy the restrictions on who can receive welfare and how much they can receive only get tighter - so what is true now will quite likely no longer be true in three months time.

If you feel these comments are irrelevant then by all means delete them - but I don't think they are.

Advertisement