Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maternity Benefit

• 24-05-2011 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I applied and was approved for maternity benefit starting in a few weeks time.

My partner is thinking of moving in with me and he is claiming job seekers allowance. I was wondering how would this affect our payments?

Without sounding like a complete sponger, I am currently struggling with the amounts we're on at the moment and rent,etc. I was wondering is there any other claims we can make?

Currently I'm working and starting maternity benefit in a few weeks and he is in receipt of job seekers allowance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I don't think your Maternity benefit will be affected as it is based on PRSI contributions as apposed to means.

Your partners means will be re-assessed to included your means, unless you have another income I can't see your partners payment being less than 188 per week but there's no way to know until you are accessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

benefits wrote: »
    Hi,

I applied and was approved for maternity benefit starting in a few weeks time.

My partner is thinking of moving in with me and he is claiming job seekers allowance. I was wondering how would this affect our payments?

Without sounding like a complete sponger, I am currently struggling with the amounts we're on at the moment and rent,etc. I was wondering is there any other claims we can make?

Currently I'm working and starting maternity benefit in a few weeks and he is in receipt of job seekers allowance.

Your partner's Jobseekers will be reduced by you moving in together, you can either claim for him on your Maternity Benefit, or he can continue to get a reduced Jobseekers payment which will equate to the same amount. If you have any children at the minute, you can apply for FIS (Family Income Supplement) while on Maternity Benefit, provided that your job involved working at least 19 hours/week. If you don't have any children, then you can apply for FIS once your baby is born.

The FIS will only last until your Materntity leave runs out, but if your family income remains below the relevant limits after you return to work, you can apply again for FIS at that stage.

See here for the Family Income Supplement rates: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BirthChildrenAndFamilies/ChildRelatedPayments/Pages/fis.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So by my partner moving in with me we'll get much less? That doesn't seem fair. Could we apply for rent allowance? I've only been in the place 3 months but am really struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

From [url]www.welfare.ie:[/url]

Rates of payment from January 2011:

Maternity Benefit Weekly rate
    Maximum payment €262
    Minimum payment €217.80
    Payments for dependants
    If you have dependants your rate of Maternity Benefit (excluding increases for dependants) is compared to the rate of Illness Benefit (including increases for dependants) that would be paid to you if you were absent from work through illness. The higher of the two rates is paid to you.

Example (2011 rates): Mary is entitled to the maximum rate of Maternity Benefit of €262. Her partner is unemployed and signing on for unemployment credits. They have two children. If she got Illness Benefit she would get €372.40 (this is the personal rate of Illness Benefit an Increase for a Qualified Adult an Increase for Qualified Children). She cannot get less Maternity Benefit than she would get if ill and getting Illness Benefit. For this reason, she will get Maternity Benefit of €372.40.

If your adult dependent is getting a social welfare payment you will not get an Increase for a Qualified Adult (IQA) but you may get a half-rate Increase for a Qualified Child (IQC).

You will qualify for a full-rate IQA and a full-rate IQC, if your adult dependent is unemployed and signing on for credits or is earning under €100.01 per week.

If your adult dependent is earning between €100.01 and €310 per week you will get a tapered rate of IQA and a full-rate IQC. If your adult dependent is earning between €310.01 and €400 per week you will not get an IQA but you will get half rate IQC. If your adult dependent earns over €400 per week you will not get an IQA or IQC.

With maternity benefit, your partner will not receive a reduced rate of Jobseeker's allowance. As long as there are no means from your employment, he will get 188 per week and you will receive your full entitlement to maternity benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry if I sound stupid here but the exact details are I'm due to get the minimum maternity benefit payment and my partner is on job seekers allowance and getting €188 a week. Which one of them would we be entitled too? Would we get my maternity benefit and payment for a dependent adult or my maternity benefit, an increase for dependent adult and his job seekers allowance?

I presume we'll have to wait another 3 months before applying for rent allowance too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

benefits wrote: »
    I presume we'll have to wait another 3 months before applying for rent allowance too?

Its not a matter of waiting 3 months. If you can't afford the rent now, then being in the property 6 months will not help you qualify for rent supplement. If you haven't been in rented accommodation for 6 months and can show that you could afford it at the start of the tenancy, then you need to be assessed by your local authority before you can receive rent allowance.

Advertisement