Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Euros or The world Cup....?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Dont worry, theyre planning on making the euros 24 team, soon itll be just as diluted as the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

bohsman wrote: »
    Dont worry, theyre planning on making the euros 24 team, soon itll be just as diluted as the world cup.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I am in favour of that by the way, I also prefer the world cup to the euros and Im nearly always up for the underdogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

The Wolrd Cup
    The Euros are far better in terms of quality. Every team (even the hosts like Switzerland or Austria) are fairly competitive, which makes it tougher to get out of the group, and hence more difficult to win.

Apart from Brazil/Argentina, the rest of the nations aren't able to compete with the European teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Austia are like 101st in the world. The USA, Mexico, Colombia etc. are at the same as some of the teams in the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The World Cup is a more prestigious event so I would say that.

by far the most important factor imo

Also more games to watch as im a football fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

The Wolrd Cup

I accept you are an Ireland fan like myself which I respect, though I do think we have totally polar opposite viewpoints on this so we might as well agree to differ. All the best.

Fair enough. Cheers!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,991 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Unearthly wrote: »
    by far the most important factor imo

Also more games to watch as im a football fan

exactly. While the euro's are fantastic, the World Cup is just football paradise. It being much longer also means you have more good memories of tournaments gone past as a rule.

And while the amount of poor teams in the WC is higher, theres still always a few of the 'underdogs' who way overperform causing a few upsets, and theres also the addition of different styles of football, like the often skillful but defensively dodgy africans and the often awesome Brazilians and Argies. Great chance to see players we dont see already on a regular basis too.

To the which is the hardest to win argument. World cup winners have generally been seen as very good teams who were tipped to be there or there abouts before the tournament starts. Euros has had Greece and Denmark(might be another shock in less than a weeks time) win it in the last 16 years

Whilst it may be easier to get to the knockout stages in the world cup, the lesser teams are gradually found out(usually semis) when in euros they might just make it all the way

• Advertisement

The Wolrd Cup
    Austia are like 101st in the world. The USA, Mexico, Colombia etc. are at the same as some of the teams in the Euros.

Yeah, the Fifa rankings are very accurate :rolleyes:

How did Colombia do in the last WC?

To the which is the hardest to win argument. World cup winners have generally been seen as very good teams who were tipped to be there or there abouts before the tournament starts. Euros has had Greece and Denmark(might be another shock in less than a weeks time) win it in the last 16 years

Whilst it may be easier to get to the knockout stages in the world cup, the lesser teams are gradually found out(usually semis) when in euros they might just make it all the way

The euros are definitely harder to win. Denmark actually had a very strong team in the mid80s - early 90s. They were only pipped to top spot in qualification by a v v good Yugoslavian side (who could well have won it themselves).

Greece last time played to their strengths. They were pragmatic (though boring to watch). They had a gameplan, and they stuck to it.

The problem with the WC, as I see it, is that firstly the groups are much weaker, making it easier for the likes of Switzerland, Czech Rep, France Romania, etc to qualify from the group, whereas in euro 08 these same teams didn't qualify.

Also, teams like Equador, South Korea, for example, might qualify out of the group, but then the better teams get past them relatively easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The euros are definitely harder to win. Denmark actually had a very strong team in the mid80s - early 90s. They were only pipped to top spot in qualification by a v v good Yugoslavian side (who could well have won it themselves).

They didn't even make the 1994 WC! Pipped to it by Ireland.

How can anyone say the Euros are harder to win when teams like Greece and Denmark never come close to winning the WC?

Again to point out...18 World Cups - only 7 winners. The Euros now in its 13th tournament - 9 different winners already.

As Unearthly said, in the World Cup teams like Greece and Denmark get found out by the likes of Brazil and Argentina.

Even class European teams like Holland in the 70s couldn't win the World Cup.

Yep

say if the big european teams like Italy, Germany etc have a bad tournament in the euros, then it gives the smaller nations a chance

If the big european nations had a poor tournament in the world cup, then usually the likes of Brazil or Argentina(and vice versa) would eventually take them out.

The Wolrd Cup
    They didn't even make the 1994 WC! Pipped to it by Ireland.

How can anyone say the Euros are harder to win when teams like Greece and Denmark never come close to winning the WC?

Again to point out...18 World Cups - only 7 winners. The Euros now in its 13th tournament - 9 different winners already.

As Unearthly said, in the World Cup teams like Greece and Denmark get found out by the likes of Brazil and Argentina.

Even class European teams like Holland in the 70s couldn't win the World Cup.

Well, England won the WC but have never won the Euros- see where this argument is going....

I could also argue that having more winners makes the euros more competitive.

I could also argue that having more winners makes the euros more competitive.

True. Can look at it 2 ways

I usually rank how hard it is by the smaller nations chances.

The Wolrd Cup
    True. Can look at it 2 ways

I usually rank how hard it is by the smaller nations chances.

Exactly, so if Ireland qualified for both competitions, which would be easier for us to get out of the group?

• Advertisement

I believe Ireland would have a better chance of winning the Euros.

Only Group C looked difficult.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The World Cup has better teams in it, therefore it is harder to win. It doesn't matter if there are a few weaker sides in the group stages.

Yeah exactly....its pretty obvious. Even in 2002 when all the big teams got knocked out early, the final was still Brazil vs Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The Wolrd Cup
    The original question was 'which tournament do you prefer?'

No doubt that the World Cup is the more difficult tournament to win, but for entertainment and closer, more exciting games, the Euros are way ahead.

Well the 2006 world cup was pretty class at the start.

• Advertisement

Exactly, so if Ireland qualified for both competitions, which would be easier for us to get out of the group?

Yeah I said before it would easier for someone like Ireland to get out of the groups in the world cup, but no chance to win it(granted no chance to win the euros either but if god was having a laugh and decided we would win something, it would be the euros ;))

The Wolrd Cup
    I believe Ireland would have a better chance of winning the Euros.

Only Group C looked difficult.

Are you serious? Can you honestly say that we would qualify from any of the groups at Euro 2008 if we entered as 3rd seeds?

I think we wouldn't have a prayer tbh. Firstly group A) Czech Rep finished on 3 points, yet they finished well ahead in the qualifying campaign, so how would we perform any better on the big stage?

Group B- let's say we take Poland's place, can you see us taking anything off Germany or Croatia? I certainly can't. Again, Germany we in our qualifying group and finsihed well ahead.

Group C v difficult as you say.

Group D- I don't think we would get anything off either Spain/Russia. We might get a draw/win off either Sweden or Greece, but still that's not enough to qualify out of group D.

So, if we can't qualify out of the group, how can we possibly win the tournament?

I want Ireland to do well, but I think you're overly optimistic of Ireland's ability at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Wolrd Cup
    Overly optimistic, or wildly delusional.

Same thing imo.

Yeah unfortunately if Ireland were in this comp they would get beaten comfortably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Apart from Brazil/Argentina, the rest of the nations aren't able to compete with the European teams.
    Rubbish, plenty of competition from other S.American teams not to mention the likes of Nigeria, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Australia etc.

Advertisement