Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Euros or The world Cup....?

• 22-06-2008 4:12pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What do you prefer...?

Its a tough call,this has been a great Euros and the thing I like best about it is there are very few if any dud/one sided games every team has a chance to beat any opponent on there day.Plus big powerful football country's are playing each other right from the off.

On the other hand at the world cup you have the South Americans and to a lesser extent the odd good team from Africa.But there are loads of dud games at the world cup.

What do you prefer 31 votes

The Euros
    0%
    The Wolrd Cup
    100%
    dardozPHBMossy Monkmike65Ruu_OldChongDapperGentgimmickprojectmayheminvincibleirishweemcdjoker77Ponsterdubmick_blank_Dub13YeatsCountyDavei141eZe^Charlie 31 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The Wolrd Cup
    Euros no doubt. World Cup is pretty straightforward, there are rarely any major upsets and the bigger teams often get away with play absolutely cack til the latter stages. in contrast all the group winners of the Euro's pretty much have to play well from day 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

World Cup for me. South Americans bring a lot to the party.
    ...in contrast all the group winners of the Euro's pretty much have to play well from day 1.
    For the good it does them! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Euro's have quality
    WC has quality

So:

Quality
    Quantity

:p

The Wolrd Cup
    Shamrok wrote: »
    World Cup for me. South Americans bring a lot to the party.
    For the good it does them! :p

true but it means we have some great matches from day 1 of the tournament. in contrast it's frequent to see more than one group at a world cup be decided without a single decent performance from any of the teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Wolrd Cup
    Euros, every time.

Too much dross in the WC.

I don't care to watch Trinidand and Tobago. Or the next "story".

I think the WC should be based on the Continental Championships.

Like the four Semi-finalists from Euro, African Nations, Asian Cup, Copa America etc, should be the WC finalists.

• Advertisement

The Wolrd Cup
    DesF wrote: »
    Euros, every time.

Like the four Semi-finalists from Euro, African Nations, Asian Cup, Copa America etc, should be the WC finalists.

lol, if FIFA actually did that they'd lose BILLIONS! ambitious idea DesF :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Thats a ridiculous idea. Potentially one bad refereeing decision or a dodgy offside goal in the euros could keep a whole nation out of the world cup. Do you really want to see Turkey, Russia, Germany and either Italy or Spain as the only entrants ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Wolrd Cup
    Euros is a better competition IMO. I think the WC has too many poor games and poor teams. At least with the Euros you have only one or two bad teams, in this case Austria and Greece. Arguably Sweden as well, but thats just down to awful awful tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Euros, every time.

Is that not the Confederations Cup anyway? Or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

The World Cup, but the latter stages of the Euros are often better and more open. Like in the last world cup the start was amazing, and then it slowly got worse(although not probably the right word)

More matches=better for me. You don't feel the need to watch every game and can watch the highlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The Wolrd Cup
    Tusky wrote: »
    Thats a ridiculous idea. Potentially one bad refereeing decision or a dodgy offside goal in the euros could keep a whole nation out of the world cup.

can that not happen anyway in the qualifiers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

If you could take a few of the South American teams (Brazil, Argentina etc) and put them in the Euros, it'd be great. The vast majority of the matches in the Euros are good contests - unfortunately the same can't be said for the WC.

Ah I agree about the matches like Iran vs Angola, but you need a few one sided games to make a nice tournament. Like the Germany Saudi Arabia match was the funniest thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

World Cup for me ... I like to see more flavour as in the South Americans and Africans on top of the Europeans. There's no denying though that this European Championship has been highly entertaining, let's hope it remains that way for the rest of the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mr Alan wrote: »
    can that not happen anyway in the qualifiers?

You have more of a chance over the qualifiers. You play each team twice and there is plenty of games. What if you were in the quarter finals of the euros and the other team got a dodgy penalty in the last minute. Not only would you be knocked out of the euros, you would fail to qualify for the world cup.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The Euros provide a consistently higher level of football but the World Cup is more memorable and has more 'magic' about it. The WC means more and it has the South Americans and the Africans, both of whom bring a lot to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Is that not the Confederations Cup anyway? Or something similar.
    Yeh, that's pretty much the Confederations Cup. The 6 regional winners + WC winner + host take part.

The next one is in South Africa next year apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

World Cup hands down.

There's more romance in it, you've got the South Americans, Australia can play in it and there's always some ropey African team who undoes one of the cocky big European teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

I like the Euro's but I have to say the world cup without a doubt, the South American and African teams have alot to offer and it's great to watch the likes of Argentina on the world stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The Wolrd Cup
    For me the tournament I still want to see is either,

The top 8 national teams in the world (4 defo from Euro qualifiers, 2 defo from South America, 2 from rest of the world vs. other Euro/SA teams in playoffs)
    go into a league, and play each other once.

It's the same thing I'd love to see for clubs, I'd given anything to see a Champions League that was played in a festival of football like the national game.

I really however would want a league rather than a cup, leagues are so much more interesting to me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Won't someone please think of the Asians? The WC might be better if only the top rated teams were in there, giving the ideal scenario of Euros + Brazil/Argentina, but the logistics of determining the best 36 teams in the world sadly don't allow for that.

The Wolrd Cup
    PHB wrote: »
    I really however would want a league rather than a cup, leagues are so much more interesting to me

Well then the teams would have to play twice.

Nice idea though.

Never happen mind.

The Wolrd Cup
    Well like, the whole home and away thing is nice and all, but leagues can be run without it, especially if you don't actually have a home and away places in a different country.

Still think the CL should be changed entirely to a league format.

United played 7 matches after Christmas this year. Make the groups have only one winner and put them into a league to decide the grand winner. If money's an issue, make a 2nd league from the runners up. That'll still be some league to win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The Wolrd Cup
    would you not be afraid that the CL or World Cup would lose some of its magic by making it a league thing....seriously, i know wat you mean, but you really cant beat a cup for action,suspense, drama etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Euros for actual quality.

WC for atmosphere.

The Wolrd Cup
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    would you not be afraid that the CL or World Cup would lose some of its magic by making it a league thing....seriously, i know wat you mean, but you really cant beat a cup for action,suspense, drama etc

Actually I think a league is all the more amazing. It's constant suspense constant anguish. Every single game matters, every single goals matter, because it all plays a part in the end.

Also leagues are so much more fun, especially in terms of multiple games at the same time, each being extremely important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Wolrd Cup
    Euros, WC is euros + Argentina/Brazil anyway as a rule. You get the odd good moment from say Togo or South Korea but thats rare enough.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 493 ✭✭Kildarered

Euros cause you can actually go to them without it costing that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The World Cup is a more prestigious event so I would say that.

• Advertisement

The Wolrd Cup
    It's harder to win the Euros once you get there.

I disagree, but its my opinion. I know a lot who think that way.

The Wolrd Cup
    I disagree, but its my opinion. I know a lot who think that way.

How?

There's eight groups in the WC, so the talent is more diluted. Spain, Italy and France would all have qualified for the next round after the groups in the WC.

Like, playing Romania is nothing like playing Trinidad or whatever other no marks come from CONCACAF.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

There's an extra round at the WC though, and to win the WC you'll probably have to beat teams like Brazil and Argentina.

The Wolrd Cup
    The percententage of potential winners in the Euros is larger than in the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

The Wolrd Cup
    Euros rock, the WC suffers because lots of dross is included in the 32 team format.

Solution? scale back to 16 teams and make it a bitch to qualify for, the World Cup should have the best teams in it, not cannon fodder like SA or China. after all the WC is meant to be a showcase for the best teams & players.

For shame on those Euro countries like the ROI & Scotland who want the Euros expanded in their narrow self interest, i rather watching good football to seeing **** teams in action like Ireland,if they are not good enough they're not good enough!

• Advertisement

The Wolrd Cup
    I agree with that post so much, I could have written it myself.

The Wolrd Cup
    Thanks DesF,My other idea would to ban ROI/NI/Eng/Wal/Scotland from competing in any international tournament, the best tournaments ive seen were Euro 2000 & 2008, both of which had absolutely minimal involvement from those teams(bar Keegans England in 2000 but they departed quickly).

Lets face it, the home countries and good football dont mix.

Euros rock, the WC suffers because lots of dross is included in the 32 team format.

Solution? scale back to 16 teams and make it a bitch to qualify for, the World Cup should have the best teams in it, not cannon fodder like SA or China. after all the WC is meant to be a showcase for the best teams & players.

For shame on those Euro countries like the ROI & Scotland who want the Euros expanded in their narrow self interest, i rather watching good football to seeing **** teams in action like Ireland,if they are not good enough they're not good enough!

Completely disagree with that post. I think what you call dross can sometimes add greatly to the World Cup. For instance South Korea in 2002, Croatia in '98, Ireland in 90 and the '94 opener etc.

Also having smaller nations can lead to a major interest in the sport in the country. Soccer boomed in this country following the participation in major tournaments. Look at the interest cricket receieved in this island following the Irish team's surprising results.

Some of my most treasured sporting moments growing up come from seeing Ireland in the World Cup and I would oppose any effort to make the event another elitist competition as we effectively have with the modern format for the Champions League. High quality football yes but at the expense of smaller, less well off teams.

As for sh*t teams in action, what the French served up against the Romanians, what the Italians served up against the Spanish and what the Greeks served up against...well everybody was an insomniac's dream and offered little to those who appreciate the beautiful game.

The Wolrd Cup
    Completely disagree with that post. I think what you call dross can sometimes add greatly to the World Cup. For instance South Korea in 2002, Croatia in '98, Ireland in 90 and the '94 opener etc.

Also having smaller nations can lead to a major interest in the sport in the country. Soccer boomed in this country following the participation in major tournaments. Look at the interest cricket receieved in this island following the Irish team's surprising results.

Some of my most treasured sporting moments growing up come from seeing Ireland in the World Cup and I would oppose any effort to make the event another elitist competition as we effectively have with the modern format for the Champions League. High quality football yes but at the expense of smaller, less well off teams.

As for sh*t teams in action, what the French served up against the Romanians, what the Italians served up against the Spanish and what the Greeks served up against...well everybody was an insomniac's dream and offered little to those who appreciate the beautiful game.

If you're team is good enough to qualify for a tournament of 16 teams then it doesnt matter if you're country has 4m or 40m people.

Ireland in 88/90, Croatia in 98, Turkey 02 & Greece 04 all did exceptionally well, they deserved to be there.

My first WC i watched through was WC 94, small countries like Sweden & Bulgaria did very well, countries like SK, Greece & SA were ****e, this was the first WC with more then 16 teams, they added NOTHING to the WC and were only there due to the tournament expanding to 24 teams.

And who says the current CL is host to 'High quality football'? the CL has stagnated over the past decade due to there being too many teams in it and having a cumbersome long winded qualifying process for the knock out stages, sound familiar?

Bring back the old skool European & World Cups!

My first WC i watched through was WC 94, small countries like Sweden & Bulgaria did very well, countries like SK, Greece & SA were ****e, this was the first WC with more then 16 teams, they added NOTHING to the WC and were only there due to the tournament expanding to 24 teams.

And SK went on to do well in 2002, Greece went on to do very well in 2004 and SA will be hosting the 2010 WC so clearly their experience in '94 made a major positive contribution which was precisely my point.
    And who says the current CL is host to 'High quality football'? the CL has stagnated over the past decade due to there being too many teams in it and having a cumbersome long winded qualifying process for the knock out stages, sound familiar?

The CL has stagnated? So you didn't enjoy Arsenal vs Liverpool or Man United vs Chelsea or Milan vs Arsenal? I would say they were high quality football matches.

I don't really understand your logic and to me it smacks of self-loathing begrudgery. For example...
    My other idea would to ban ROI/NI/Eng/Wal/Scotland from competing in any international tournament, the best tournaments ive seen were Euro 2000 & 2008, both of which had absolutely minimal involvement from those teams

I really don't get your mentality at all.

• Advertisement

The Wolrd Cup
    And SK went on to do well in 2002, Greece went on to do very well in 2004 and SA will be hosting the 2010 WC so clearly their experience in '94 made a major positive contribution which was precisely my point.

The CL has stagnated? So you didn't enjoy Arsenal vs Liverpool or Man United vs Chelsea or Milan vs Arsenal? I would say they were high quality football matches.

1. SA = Saudi Arabia, perennial WC qualifiers since the WC was expanded from above 16 teams, in 1994 they did ok but have been perennial whipping boys since.

South Africa werent allowed take part in football tournaments inc. 1994 WC.

2. Greece were **** in 1994, were practically unbeatable in 2004, there is no connection or a 'major positive contribution', how many players from the 1994 WC squad were in the 04 squad?, if anything being whipping boys does not do much good for a nations esteem does it?.

remember SK were hosts in 2002, in their other WC campaigns they have yet to make it out of the group stage and recorded 1 win (over that powerhouse Togo).

3.The CL has reams of unimportant games, it essentially doesnt kick into gear until the QFs in March, although technically the tournament begins 8 months earlier!
    I don't really understand your logic and to me it smacks of self-loathing begrudgery. For example...

This is a football forum ,not PI, get over yourself;)

I really don't get your mentality at all.

It was a joke funny funny haha:rolleyes:

1. SA = Saudi Arabia, perennial WC qualifiers since the WC was expanded from above 16 teams. South Africa werent allowed take part in football tournaments inc. 1994 WC.

Correct. Mea Culpa.
    2. Greece were **** in 1994, were practically unbeatable in 2004, there is no connection or a 'major positive contribution', how many players from the 1994 WC squad were in the 04 squad?, if anything being whipping boys does not do much good for a nations esteem does it?.

I see. So qualifying for major tournaments which captures the imagination of an entire nation has NO BEARING on the future development of the game of soccer, eh? Interesting theory but one I disagree with.
    remember SK were hosts in 2002, in their other WC campaigns they have yet to make it out of the group stage and recorded 1 win (over that powerhouse Togo).

The fact they were hosts does not detract from their great victories. Their journey to the semis was very memorable and only good could have benefitted the image of the sport in the country, wouldn't you agree? Or are you genuinely of the view that getting to major tournaments does nothing for the development of sport in general? A view I would find baffling from an Irish person considering our own history.
    3.The CL has reams of unimportant games, it essentially doesnt kick into gear until the QFs in March, although technically the tournament begins 8 months earlier!

We know that but the standard of football is top notch. I can't see how anyone would think otherwise.
    This is a football forum ,not PI, get over yourself;)

LOL. This is a football forum and if you want to engage in Irish-bashing may I suggest After Hours. ;)
    It was a joke

This is not the humour forum, get over yourself. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

16 teams would be good like the old days. Places for the 2010 WC:

UEFA: 13
    CAF: 6
    CONMEBOL: 4.5(Oceania)
    OFC: .5(Conmebol)
    CONCACAF: 3.5(AFC)
    AFC: 4.5(Concacaf)

For 16 teams, it would be like:
    UEFA: 7
    CAF: 2
    CONMEBOL: 3
    CONCACAF: 2
    AFC: 2

That would be a depressing competition.

The Wolrd Cup
    I see. So qualifying for major tournaments which captures the imagination of an entire nation has NO BEARING on the future development of the game of soccer, eh? Interesting theory but one I disagree with.:

What? you are putting words into my mouth so to speak, my argument is that a fine line should be drawn between levels of participation and quality being involved. the EC going to 24 teams or the WC having 32 teams dilutes the quality of football involved and leads to countries with no business being in a tournament being there.

The fact they were hosts does not detract from their great victories. Their journey to the semis was very memorable and only good could have benefitted the image of the sport in the country, wouldn't you agree? Or are you genuinely of the view that getting to major tournaments does nothing for the development of sport in general? A view I would find baffling from an Irish person considering our own history.:

Again you are putting words into my mouth, SK did well in 2002 but it already had a pro league so again banal statements like 'have benefitted the image of the sport in the country' mean nothing, what exactly happened in the years since? whats changed in SK football? in 2006 they reverted to type, qualified out of Asia and then avoiding finishing bottom of their group by beating Togo.

'our' history involved beating teams and being good enough to qualify & compete in 1988/90, you seemingly want the WC & EC to be opened up to allow every country have a chance to play in the tournaments even if they are crap (like Ireland have been in recent times).

We know that but the standard of football is top notch. I can't see how anyone would think otherwise.:

I think otherwise. there are too many teams in the CL, thats my opinion and its unlikely to change, even the mid 90s format of the CL was preferable to what we have now, more quality less quantity. But dont get me wrong i know money dictates on everything, im dealing with hypotheticals here.

LOL. This is a football forum and if you want to engage in Irish-bashing may I suggest After Hours. ;) :

Irish bashing is it? what are you on about you space cadet?

This is not the humour forum, get over yourself. :pac:

Wow i see what you did there, very clever;).

What? you are putting words into my mouth so to speak, my argument is that a fine line should be drawn between levels of participation and quality being involved. the EC going to 24 teams or the WC having 32 teams dilutes the quality of football involved and leads to countries with no business being in a tournament being there.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. My argument is that the countries who qualify have earned their right to be there and by placing tighter restrictions on qualification as you want, you go down the road of football elitism and make it harder to strengthen the game out of the traditional strongholds.
    Again you are putting words into my mouth, SK did well in 2002 but it already had a pro league so again banal statements like 'have benefitted the image of the sport in the country' mean nothing, what exactly happened in the years since? whats changed in SK football? in 2006 they reverted to type, qualified out of Asia and then avoiding finishing bottom of their group by beating Togo.

It's not a banal statement to say that participating in a major tournament with an audience of hundreds of millions and which captures the public imagination benefits the image of the sport. That is simple logic. Not being involved doesn't do much good. Take a look at Ireland in recent years. Your point, which you won't put into your own mouth, is that being involved in a major tournament contributes little and your own earlier examples, such as Greece, disprove your own theory! They clearly have been improving the development of their game over the years.
    'our' history involved beating teams and being good enough to qualify & compete in 1988/90, you seemingly want the WC & EC to be opened up to allow every country have a chance to play in the tournaments even if they are crap (like Ireland have been in recent times).

I seemingly want blah, blah, blah. I love how you moan about putting words into people's mouths before proceeding to do the same yourself. Hello irony. (Seriously try the humour forum ;)) I want the Euros to be opened to 24 teams and the WC left alone. I feel that's a fair way to promote the game. I don't see how that would lead to 'crap' teams. How are you crap if you qualify? :confused:
    I think otherwise. there are too many teams in the CL, thats my opinion and its unlikely to change, even the mid 90s format of the CL was preferable to what we have now, more quality less quantity. But dont get me wrong i know money dictates on everything, im dealing with hypotheticals here.

You just proved my point and negated your own one in one paragraph. I said earlier:
    I would oppose any effort to make the event another elitist competition as we effectively have with the modern format for the Champions League. High quality football yes but at the expense of smaller, less well off teams.

Yet you then disputed that there was high quality football saying the football had 'stagnated'.
    Irish bashing is it? what are you on about you space cadet?

I'm on about this...
    My other idea would to ban ROI/NI/Eng/Wal/Scotland from competing in any international tournament, the best tournaments ive seen were Euro 2000 & 2008, both of which had absolutely minimal involvement from those teams.
    you seemingly want the WC & EC to be opened up to allow every country have a chance to play in the tournaments even if they are crap (like Ireland have been in recent times).

Oh wait were these all jokes? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Of course the Euros is better.

If anything this shows that the world cup places should break down as follows

Europe 14
    South America 2
    The rest 0

The Wolrd Cup
    I'm not putting words in your mouth. My argument is that the countries who qualify have earned their right to be there and by placing tighter restrictions on qualification as you want, you go down the road of football elitism and make it harder to strengthen the game out of the traditional strongholds.

ah the Stepp Blatter method, very good. look im old fashioned i think a World Cup should be about having teams in and around the same level competing for footballs greatest prize, not softening up the tournament by bringing in teams who act as cannon fodder for the bigger teams in the name of football politics. I wonder if you're the type who would have supported Sepps other great idea of having the WC every 2 years?.

Lets look at all the teams who qualified for the 1st time since the WC has expanded to 32 teams shall we?*

1998: Jamaica, Japan & South Africa
    2002: China, Ecuador & Senegal
    2006: Angola, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo and Trinidad & Tobago

Out of these 11 only Ghana & Senegal made it past the group stages.

*(ive not included several countries on the basis they were had already played in a World Cup as part of another country like the Ukraine as part of the USSR etc.)

It's not a banal statement to say that participating in a major tournament with an audience of hundreds of millions and which captures the public imagination benefits the image of the sport. That is simple logic. Not being involved doesn't do much good. Take a look at Ireland in recent years. Your point, which you won't put into your own mouth, is that being involved in a major tournament contributes little and your own earlier examples, such as Greece, disprove your own theory! They clearly have been improving the development of their game over the years.

My point is having too many filler teams in a tournament negates the tournaments quality, its a lot easier to win a WC when there are so many average teams in it. Look at Brazil & Germany in 2002 when they met in the final,neither team were exactly at the top of their games in the tournament, Brazil scraped through qualification & the hardest opponent along the way either faced was England FFS!.

A tournament is prestigous because you have to reach a minimum standard in order to qualify. Dilute the standard then the achievement in qualifying, taking part and ultimately winning the tournament is diminished. In other words, and this is relevant to the FAI & SFA, if you're not good enough to qualify then stop complaining and improve your team rather then seeking rule changes to hide the fact neither team are good enough.

Lets use the example you cite to make my point:

Greece made up the numbers in a 24 team World Cup in 1994 and went home without a point,conceded 10 and didnt score, clearly they were out of their depth.

they didnt qualify for Euros in 1996 or 2000 or the 1998/2002 World Cups.

In 2004 they qualified for the EC topping a group including Spain & the Ukraine and then of course they went on to win it.

Now you argue that the experience of 1994 means that set them up for 2004, my belief is that they werent good enough to qualify for tournaments in1996/98/00/02 but were in 2004 thanks to the ingenious Otto Rehagel and not because they had faint distant memories of 1994s maulings.

I seemingly want blah, blah, blah. I love how you moan about putting words into people's mouths before proceeding to do the same yourself. Hello irony. (Seriously try the humour forum ;)) I want the Euros to be opened to 24 teams and the WC left alone. I feel that's a fair way to promote the game. I don't see how that would lead to 'crap' teams. How are you crap if you qualify? :confused:.

OK then lets expand the Euros to 24 teams, i guess the next 8 teams would the teams who finished 3rd in their groups:

Serbia, Scotland, Norway, ROI, England, NI, Bulgaria + Finland & Bosnia-Herz.

Now here you might 'feel' by bringing these boyos into it then that'll be a 'fair way to promote the game'.

I see 8 teams who werent good enough to qualify for Euro 2008 and shouldnt have went there with their awful football, i dont think the best way to promote the game is inflicting Stauntons Ireland or McClarens England on anyone tbh.

You just proved my point and negated your own one in one paragraph. I said earlier:..

Sorry you've confused me what exactly is your point on the CL?

Yet you then disputed that there was high quality football saying the football had 'stagnated'..

look theres been some great football in the CL as we know it i dont dispute that, but the CL has many meaningless games as to be made redundant until March when invariably the same teams qualify anyway. since the inception of the CL the competition has become easier to win not harder in my opinion, all the big teams know that invariably they have at least 2 easy games in the group stages and dont have to push the boat out, thus the competition isnt as competitive as once was as its now about money and TV.

I'm on about this...

Oh wait were these all jokes? ;)

Look im an Ireland fan just like you im sure, but i dont let tribal loyalty blinker my outlook, Ireland have been utter ****e the past 2 years, we dont deserve to have been at Euro 2008, Ireland werent good enough. (The only teams from Euro 2008 ranked below Ireland in FIFA rankings were the hosts Austria & Switzerland, and im pretty certain at least the latter would be confident of a result against us).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The Wolrd Cup
    A no brainer, the Euro's by a country mile. Lots of equal sides, not anyway near as many bad teams as in the WC. Nearly always guaranteed a good game, save for when the Azzurri are playing!

ah the Stepp Blatter method, very good. look im old fashioned i think a World Cup should be about having teams in and around the same level competing for footballs greatest prize, not softening up the tournament by bringing in teams who act as cannon fodder for the bigger teams in the name of football politics.

Would an increase from 18 to 24 lead to 'cannon fodder'? I don't think it would lead to a drop in quality as there are plenty of good enough teams out there who didn't qualify.
    I wonder if you're the type who would have supported Sepps other great idea of having the WC every 2 years?

Wonder no more cos I'm not!
    My point is having too many filler teams in a tournament negates the tournaments quality, its a lot easier to win a WC when there are so many average teams in it.

Well I think your definition of 'filler teams' is quite flawed, especially since Denmark weren't supposed to be in the '92 Championships yet were allowed following Yugoslavia's disqualification and went on to win it! Kind of proves my point about the amount of quality in Europe. ;)
    Look at Brazil & Germany in 2002 when they met in the final, the hardest opponent along the way either faced was England FFS!

Yes because so many big teams crashed out in the first round. France and Portugal for example. Senegal actually beat France and you used them in your earlier stats. Again proving my point about how being in a major tournament can benefit the sport. :)

It's harder to win the WC I would argue than Euro 2008. The stats show there have been 18 World Cups with only 7 winners compared to the Euros which is now in its 13th tournament and which has seen 9 different winners.
    A tournament is prestigous because you have to reach a minimum standard in order to qualify. Dilute the standard then the achievement in qualifying, taking part and ultimately winning the tournament is diminished.

You have it in your head though that more teams would 'dilute' the quality, but I would argue that more teams would increase the quality and make it harder to win. In 1994's World Cup, only two teams beat Italy - Ireland and Brazil. Now you dismiss teams like Ireland as 'dross' but they can get big results. Senegal vs France is another example.
    Lets use the example you cite to make my point:

Greece made up the numbers in a 24 team World Cup in 1994 and went home without a point,conceded 10 and didnt score, clearly they were out of their depth.

they didnt qualify for Euros in 1996 or 2000 or the 1998/2002 World Cups.

In 2004 they qualified for the EC topping a group including Spain & the Ukraine and then of course they went on to win it.

Now you argue that the experience of 1994 means that set them up for 2004, my belief is that they werent good enough to qualify for tournaments in1996/98/00/02 but were in 2004 thanks to the ingenious Otto Rehagel and not because they had faint distant memories of 1994s maulings.

That is not my argument at all. I don't know if you watched the RTE discussion on the significance of Ray Houghton's Euro '88 goal, but they made the point that Ireland's involvement sparked an interest in the game that had an effect on the younger generation in Ireland. I am making the point that this is true in ALL countries which see their nations involved. It increases national interest. Russia for example will benefit hugely in future years in my view due to the great journey they have had in the Euros. I would say Greece have benefitted big time from their past experiences also, most notably in 2004. I can't believe you dismiss these things so readily.
    In other words, and this is relevant to the FAI & SFA, if you're not good enough to qualify then stop complaining and improve your team rather then seeking rule changes to hide the fact their national teams werent good enough to qualify in the first place.

How have they been complaining? It seems to me UEFA are delighted by the high standard of football and want to increase that by adding a few more top quality European sides. I don't see the harm. I see plenty of benefits actually. We shouldn't let traditionalist views hamper progress.
    OK then lets expand the Euros to 24 teams, i guess the next 8 teams would the teams who finished 3rd in their groups:

Serbia, Scotland, Norway, ROI, England, NI, Bulgaria + Finland & Bosnia-Herz.

Now here you might 'feel' by bringing these boyos into it then that'll be a 'fair way to promote the game'.

I see 8 teams who werent good enough to qualify for Euro 2008 and shouldnt have went there with their awful football, i dont think the best way to promote the game is inflicting Stauntons Ireland or McClarens England on anyone tbh.

We know those 8 teams weren't good enough to qualify. Who is suggesting otherwise? What is being suggested is a blank slate next time and everyone be made aware that the 24 best teams in Europe will qualify.

I don't know why you have a problem with more of these 'boyos'. Perhaps you're a soap fan and don't want to see more football on TV at the expense of Ken and Deirdre's fantastic exploits? Personally I welcome more football and feel many teams could hold their own if given a chance. There is not a massive gulf in class in international football these days.
    Sorry you've confused me what exactly is your point on the CL?

I am simply making the point that quality hasn't stagnated.
    look theres been some great football in the CL as we know it i dont dispute that, but the CL has many meaningless games as to be made redundant until March when invariably the same teams qualify anyway. since the inception of the CL the competition has become easier to win not harder in my opinion, all the big teams know that invariably they have at least 2 easy games in the group stages and dont have to push the boat out, thus the competition isnt as competitive as once was as its now about money and TV.

Meaningless games how though? Surely they're pretty meaningful since you need to make it through them! Was Roger Federer's game when he opened Wimbledon meaningless just because he got through comfortably? He still had to approach it right as good football teams must do. And this year saw three English teams in the semi-finals for the first time ever so it's hardly 'the same teams' that qualify.
    Look im an Ireland fan just like you im sure, but i dont let tribal loyalty blinker my outlook, Ireland have been utter ****e the past 2 years, we dont deserve to have been at Euro 2008, Ireland werent good enough.

Tribal loyalty? LOL. Stop reading the Kevin Myers columns mate. We know Ireland don't deserve to be there under the current rules, that's not in doubt, but if the competition is expanded to 24 teams and we qualified via that system, then we WOULD deserve to be there and could I believe contribute positively, as we did in 1994 in a 24-team tournament in which we beat the eventual runners up. That's my point and I feel it could bring many plusses.

For example, England were so close to keeping Russia from the tournament and look at them now. A game away from the final. Your talk of 'diluting talent' in my opinion is nonsense because if England HAD made it then we wouldn't see the likes of Arshavin in action. Would that have been a good situation for football? Would the current tournament be devalued by the likes of Rooney, Robbie Keane and Berbatov on show? I would say definitely not.

I accept you are an Ireland fan like myself which I respect, though I do think we have totally polar opposite viewpoints on this so we might as well agree to differ. All the best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement