Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop SSD degrading?

• 06-10-2012 10:01pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Currently looking into the purchase of a new laptop with 256 SSD as soon as Windows 8 releases later this month. How fast does the SSD degrade? Is there a schedule or timeline for the average degrade correlated with use, or some other factors? Are there any laptops that you would not buy, because of the SSD part manufacturing source? Any tips on how to slow down this process?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Black Swan wrote: »
    Currently looking into the purchase of a new laptop with 256 SSD as soon as Windows 8 releases later this month. How fast does the SSD degrade? Is there a schedule or timeline for the average degrade correlated with use, or some other factors? Are there any laptops that you would not buy, because of the SSD part manufacturing source? Any tips on how to slow down this process?

It's purely usage that causes SSD degradation. In theory each cell has a limited number of writes.

That said I have a 40 gb corsair force that I have been using for almost 2 years and even with a few of the supposed no nos such as leaving a page file on it, it is still at 100% health.

Tbh with modern wear levelling technologies even if you designed an experiment to kill a 256gb SSD it would probably take you weeks if not months of 24/7 usage to do it.

EDIT: Just to be completely clear by 24/7 usage I mean literally overwriting the entire drive continuously.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Took me a while to find this blog I read months ago but a guy on the corsair forums actually did such an experiment and it took him over 240 TB of writes to kill a 40 gb drive.

http://www.corsair.com/blog/force-series-ssd-life-testing/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lots of online guides with settings for SSD's

key point about an SSD is that access time is constant across the whole disk - so turn off defrag turn off pre-cache , they wont make your drive faster - turn off indexing unless you use it , that sorta thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

make a 100mb ramdisk and set that as your cache for your web browser, that way you save writes and when you shutdown your cache is completely wiped. and you won't miss the 100mb of ram

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Advertisement
Advertisement