Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop won't start up

• 04-10-2012 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 7.

From yesterday, whenever I've tried to turn it on, the Dell screen shows, the progress bar gets about 2/3 of the way across, and stays at that indefinitely.

When I press F2 to get to setup, it highlights as if it's been recognised, but never actually goes to setup, so I can't even get the computer to boot from a CD to run diagnostics tests.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem? It's been completely sudden. Yesterday morning it was perfectly fine, no indication of any problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Disconnect the power and remove the battery. Press the power button a few time to discharge completely. Then try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Torqay wrote: »
    Disconnect the power and remove the battery. Press the power button a few time to discharge completely. Then try again.
    Thanks. Tried that but no luck sadly.
    My original post was mistaken. Its actually a dell studio 1749.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

If its out of warranty open her up and reconnect hard drive, sounds similar to a problem I had with the Dell XPS 1710

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I have an Inspiron 1501, when booting you can press F12 to get to a boot-from-device menu. I use this to boot from a USB stick prepared with YUMI and a live Linux ISO. Maybe that would let you choose to boot from CD too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

try one memory stick at a time and take hard drive and cd drive out

• Advertisement

duckysauce wrote: »
    try one memory stick at a time and take hard drive and cd drive out
    Problem is i can't even access the f12 menu to get it to boot off a cd or memory stick. Nor can i eject the cd that's in there as there's no paperclip hole and the eject button doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Blisterman wrote: »
    Problem is i can't even access the f12 menu to get it to boot off a cd or memory stick. Nor can i eject the cd that's in there as there's no paperclip hole and the eject button doesn't work.

I meant to remove the whole unit

Removed both hard drives, and managed to get the CD out.

It now boots up, and I can boot up from CD, but obviously can't do much without a hard drive.

Bought a hard drive cradle, and put the main hard drive into it, but it's not being recognised by other computers. Haven't tried the other hard drive yet.

Could it be an issue with the hard drive? It's a 512gb SSD, which I only installed about a month ago, and was working fine until now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

If the SSD is not being recognised by any PCs its gonna be a problem with that alright. Try several sata cables obviously.

Must have set you back a few quid for a 512gb SSD!

Media999 wrote: »
    If the SSD is not being recognised by any PCs its gonna be a problem with that alright. Try several sata cables obviously.

Must have set you back a few quid for a 512gb SSD!
    Ok. Strangely after leaving the hard disk connected in the cradle about 15 minutes, the computer eventually recognised it. i ran scandisk and it found and fixed some problems.

Reinserted the hard drive and a
    same problem. Won't start up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Am i right in saying this laptop is a few year old. I had a Dell studio that i bought in 2008 i think.

Maybe its some other incompatibilty.

Have you tried the drive elsewhere?

Is it an SSD or a HDD you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I have had this problem before. (Actually a few, that sound the same, with different solutions).

I left it for an hour, was out etc.. When i came back, the problem was sorted, So i looked it up, (This is going back about a year, possibly longer) and many people had reported the same thing ~ That leaving it alone for a decent length of time, worked, I'd say 30 - 40 minutes.
    I cannot for the life of me remember what caused it. (Most likely a driver finishing updating/installing.)

But i had tried many different things before hand.

Other things to try, are rebuild the MBR, Using Partition Wizard when the Hard Drive is in the cradle.

Scan Disk etc..

Reinstall Chipset and Video/Graphic Drivers.

Startup Repair

Ended up giving up and dropping it in for repair.

Turns out the problem was with the SSD's firmware. Once that was upgraded, everything worked fine. So thanks for your help everyone.

Advertisement