Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student Credits what are they ???

• 28-05-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

another poster said this about student credits but i still dont know what it is exactly and what they do :

"Once you have a letter from your college on headed paper, signed and dated, you will not have a problem. In order to get "student credits" you will need to work for one week after your course finishes. Then send in your paperwork to your local Social Protection [Welfare] office who will fax it to the relevant section to get your credits updated. A P45 will suffice for proof of work, or an employer statement. The credits could be very important should you sign on or make a claim after your course. You do not need to work before the course starts [even though it says that you do in the literature], and the Leaving Cert is considered a course, so potentially every student can avail of these credits. You can only avail of these credits once and you must be under 23 yrs when you start the course."

Any comments would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Google it and see OP. Let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭neiler987

snubbleste wrote: »
    Google it and see OP. Let us know.

I was hoping somebody here would be able to tell me ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

neiler987 wrote: »
    I was hoping somebody here would be able to tell me ?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_insurance_prsi/credited_social_insurance_contributions.html

There are two types of credits that can help people who are claiming welfare for the first time.. pre-entry credits and student credits.

I signed on the dole immediately after leaving college and was told by the lazy, uneducated idiot dealing with my claim that I did not qualify (apparently I was 2 contributions short). I worked prior to starting college and throughout college so I was pretty surprised that I didn't qualify for unemployment benefit.

Luckily, a relative of mine used to work in the dole office and actually knew his job so he armed me with the information I needed to make a successful claim. I think it was the pre-entry credits that helped me in the end, although there was no reason I wouldn't have benefited from student credits either.

Anyway, my point is don't expect the person dealing with your claim to be able to advise you whether you are eligible for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭neiler987

okay.. still doesnt clear it up for me tho :S

is it possible to have neither type of credits ?? say if u never got payed work in your life ?
    if u have neither type of credits your not entitled to JSA at all is it ????

neiler987 wrote: »
    okay.. still doesnt clear it up for me tho :S

is it possible to have neither type of credits ?? say if u never got payed work in your life ?
    if u have neither type of credits your not entitled to JSA at all is it ????

The credits you referred to in your opening post are credits for contributions which are necessary to claim jobseekers benefit, or other employment benefits.

If you have not paid any contributions (by working) then you will not be entitled to these credits and therefore not entitled to employment benefits either.

You may be entitled to jobseekers allowance, which is means-tested. It is an allowance which is paid to people who do not qualify for benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

techni-fan this is not a forum for criticising staff of government departments. Please tone down the insults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Anyway, my point is don't expect the person dealing with your claim to be able to advise you whether you are eligible for either.

There is no substitute for doing your own research!! The social welfare system is complex and no "junior clerk"/CO/staff officer could be expected to instantaneously scan your application and determine your entitlement!! Amazes me that they would be expected to!

Submit your application, provide additional information where required, use the appeals process and keep records, if you are entitled you will prevail!

The more in question your entitlement...the longer the process....as it should be!!

Pandora, you need a reality check. It's their job to assess claims. They have the person's full contributions history in front of them, and also the P45 (and any other information they requested). If they are unable to make an informed decision then they shouldn't be working as a welfare officer. They should be working as a cleaner, or in data entry, or something else that requires less knowledge and intelligence.

If I was their manager and they made these stupid mistakes I'd fire them for negligence and incompetence.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

As we seemed to have move on to insulting gov dept staff its time to close this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement