Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 months in Private Rented Accommodation Requirement for Rent Supplement

• 26-05-2011 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Simple question, after my means testing and all that passes, can I include the past six months living in student accommodation for that?

Say that my parents were paying for the accommodation and I had to move back home for the summer as I couldn't afford to move out on my own accord?

Will having somewhere in the region of €2-3k in my bank account scupper any chances of receiving rent supplement too? I kinda need that money for a masters course the year after.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Part of the living in private rented accommodation for 6 months requirement is that you were able to afford the rent yourself at the start of the tenancy. So with your parents paying for your rent this will rule you out of qualifying through this route. You will need to be assessed by your local authority as in need of housing before being eligible for rent supplement.

The first 5k of savings is disregarded for SWA and rent supplement (the first 20k is disregarded for most other social welfare payments), so having 2-3k in the bank will not affect the means test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

To get rent allowance you need to show you did contribute to the rent hence the 6 months. This shows you had no alternative but to rent and your not just doing it for extra money or that

Advertisement