Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

start up business scheme

Options
  • 22-05-2011 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

1st time poster but long time lurker.

I've been on JSB for the past 5 months - no jobs out there so at this point I'm looking to set up my own business.

I know there was a thread a while back about a "back to work" scheme where you can keep your JSB while you set up your business.

I cannot remember what this was called - and I want to go into the office forearmed with info next week - from previous experiences with the staff in my local office - half of them know nothing, the other half are on their break and the one person that seems to know anything about your topic - is out sick:D.

Anybody able to help me?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

back to work enterprise allowance scheme, google it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

This scheme is the back to work enterprise allowance scheme. Its allows you to keep a particular payment 100% for year 1 & 75% for year 2, irrelevant of how much you earn.

I started the process in February trying to find out information about it as well as doing market research for my company. Eventually end of April ( after 2 months of going round in circles) I went to my welfare office & asked for an appointment with the Jobs facilitator as i was getting no where fast. It was set for May 17th. This guy was so wishy washy with the information I nearly was answering my own questions. He advised I was in a Partnership area so they would do it . Literly went outside, rang my partnership got an appointment for last Friday . Went in organised & armed with my business plan & cash flows. Was approved there & then , had my business registered by lunchtime. Im back in tomorrow & they will register me with revenue & they will liase with my welfare office on my behalf & then its a case of wait for local welfare office to stop one payment & start another.
    So 1. Organise yourself - do all your groundwork & research.
    2. Check are you in a partnership area ( citizens advice will help)
    3. Book an appointment but be organised & have the answers ready.
    4. Believe in yourself !

Once I got going with the partnership they really couldnt have been more helpful, they were the first body who were highly encouraging, hugely supportive & calmed any fears or reservations I had. I felt they couldnt have done more to help a smooth process & I am finally ready to launch my business. For the 1st time in 2 years I dont feel like a statistic anymore & felt so proud walking into the bank to open my business account.
    No matter what it is do it ! you are the secret to your own success & what you put into it you will get back. The very best of luck to you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

OP, as you are currently on Jobseeker's Benefit, you will need to apply for Short Term Enterprise allowance. You will get this until your Jobseeker's Benefit runs out. You still need the business plan etc. so call into your local partnership asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Effigy

My area partnership were/are useless. Lots of misinformation and laziness.
    I would recommend trying to run your own business and get some cash on the side, don't forget, the allowance reduces to 75% after a year. Or nothing if you decide to close the business. Get your biz up and running first,make a few grand a week THEN make it official.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cocopeg

lucy2010 wrote: »
    This scheme is the back to work enterprise allowance scheme. Its allows you to keep a particular payment 100% for year 1 & 75% for year 2, irrelevant of how much you earn.

I started the process in February trying to find out information about it as well as doing market research for my company. Eventually end of April ( after 2 months of going round in circles) I went to my welfare office & asked for an appointment with the Jobs facilitator as i was getting no where fast. It was set for May 17th. This guy was so wishy washy with the information I nearly was answering my own questions. He advised I was in a Partnership area so they would do it . Literly went outside, rang my partnership got an appointment for last Friday . Went in organised & armed with my business plan & cash flows. Was approved there & then , had my business registered by lunchtime. Im back in tomorrow & they will register me with revenue & they will liase with my welfare office on my behalf & then its a case of wait for local welfare office to stop one payment & start another.
    So 1. Organise yourself - do all your groundwork & research.
    2. Check are you in a partnership area ( citizens advice will help)
    3. Book an appointment but be organised & have the answers ready.
    4. Believe in yourself !

Once I got going with the partnership they really couldnt have been more helpful, they were the first body who were highly encouraging, hugely supportive & calmed any fears or reservations I had. I felt they couldnt have done more to help a smooth process & I am finally ready to launch my business. For the 1st time in 2 years I dont feel like a statistic anymore & felt so proud walking into the bank to open my business account.
    No matter what it is do it ! you are the secret to your own success & what you put into it you will get back. The very best of luck to you.

Thanks a million that's a great help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cocopeg

Effigy wrote: »
    I would recommend trying to run your own business and get some cash on the side, don't forget, the allowance reduces to 75% after a year. Or nothing if you decide to close the business. Get your biz up and running first,make a few grand a week THEN make it official.;)

Not really the type of "advice" I was looking for.

And not really possible - seeing as would be looking at working 60hrs a week to get it up and running and it'll be a retail outlet that I'll be opening. Just put a "back in half an hour" sign on the door while I go up to sign on...
    And I'm in a small/medium town - I would well imagine some of my customers might be beside me in the dole queue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If you are awarded back to work enterprise allowance you will not have to keep signing on this payment will be paid into your bank account. You cannot start self employment until your btwea is approved. You need to have a business plan apply for btwea and make an appointment with a jobs facilatator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Effigy wrote: »

when I enquired about BTWEA having 4 months left on my JSB I was told that it may be better for me to use this 4 months and get some courses and apply after 1 full year to avail of the Long Term BTWEA. Found it a little strange they encourage people not to start straight away, but ended up waiting and upskilling

Advertisement