Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloody Hell Get Over Yourselves!!!

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

In fairness Russia and Croatia have shown they didn'y have it easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

copacetic wrote: »
    but not of their fans as a group which is what you said.

If it's from several people then yes you do get a view of their fans as a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

If it's from several people then yes you do get a view of their fans as a group.

I have found the opposite on fans forums in England.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

no you don't, you get a view of the several people who wrote letters to newspapers. not a well known habit of normal people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

copacetic wrote: »
    no you don't, you get a view of the several people who wrote letters to newspapers. not a well known habit of normal people.

Normal people? Who do you think writes them? LOL. I guess we'll have to agree to differ. If you want to go out with your pie chart and start polling people then more power to you. I'll trust those people who write in though because they seem quite normal to me.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Normal people? Who do you think writes them? LOL. I guess we'll have to agree to differ. If you want to go out with your pie chart and start polling people then more power to you. I'll trust those people who write in though because they seem quite normal to me.

well they would, you're the one reading the letters pages of English papers for fun and jollies, what seems normal to you frightens me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Well I guess we're lucky then that there's more to life than football.

I understand how this notion could be forgotten by a country whose greatest achievment in history has been inventing Haggis & Deep Fried Mars bars and for having a national hero who (when you do the maths) was a paedophile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Pigman II wrote: »
    Scotland really is the worst nation on Earth. If it wasn't for the sexy accent some of thier women have then the country would literally have nothing going for it.

Except for the cuisine, which has reduced food to its absolute basics. Sugar fried in fat. It's modernism at its most austere, and tasty too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Call_me_al wrote: »
    From the front page of the Beeb's Football section:

Is Europe pining for absent England?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/euro2008/2008/06/its_a_shame_england_arent_here.html

The justification for that title is:

pretty sure if I was in Switzerland or Austria right now this would not be an uncommon occurrence:

They really do like to kid themselves about how good they are and how much the world actually likes them. Sure a joke in Croatia is "Where do England Play? On the PlayStation".

i didnt realise one article summed up the entire nations, if not the entirety of europes feelings on the matter.

perhaps taken out of proportion as much as some of the responses here, no?

thats not to say i think the tournament would be better with england in it. the tournament would certainly not be better with ireland in it.

mind you pighead, scoland would have been an excellent addition, considering the turned over the french twice in qualifying, and ireland managed to get hammered by cyprus. oh the joy to behold.
    the teams that are there are the teams that are there. but it doesnt stop people from wishing their own were.

still, it wouldnt be boards soccer forum if someone wasnt shouting down the english for talking about the english football team, especially when theres a national compettion on. god forbid someone in england still has some national pride :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

English Journos at it again. this time Ian Hawkey in the Times (print version only). in an article praising Hiddink Hawkey can't refrain from showing his true colours - slips an unnecessary line in about how the Russians only qualified "by default". Patently refuses to acknowledge that they were actually better than England in qualifying... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

English Journos at it again. this time Ian Hawkey in the Times (print version only). in an article praising Hiddink Hawkey can't refrain from showing his true colours - slips an unnecessary line in about how the Russians only qualified "by default". Patently refuses to acknowledge that they were actually better than England in qualifying... :rolleyes:

It's his accent. He means "Russia qualified by de fault of us being rubbish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

i didnt realise one article summed up the entire nations, if not the entirety of europes feelings on the matter.

perhaps taken out of proportion as much as some of the responses here, no?

thats not to say i think the tournament would be better with england in it. the tournament would certainly not be better with ireland in it.

mind you pighead, scoland would have been an excellent addition, considering the turned over the french twice in qualifying, and ireland managed to get hammered by cyprus. oh the joy to behold.
    the teams that are there are the teams that are there. but it doesnt stop people from wishing their own were.

still, it wouldnt be boards soccer forum if someone wasnt shouting down the english for talking about the english football team, especially when theres a national compettion on. god forbid someone in england still has some national pride :rolleyes:

The same Scotland who use negative tactics? Yeah what a miss for Euro 2008.

At least Ireland take the game to teams(at least in the qualifers)

At least Ireland take the game to teams(at least in the qualifers)

if you call 9 headless chickens hitting long balls to the smallest man on the field 'taking the game to them'

you watched a very Different Ireland to me...

You mean the lovely pass by Doyle through to Keane in the match against Wales?

Do you mean the goal Doyle scored against Slovakia?

Do you mean the Ireland goal against Wales from a brilliant pass by Keane?

If my memory serves me right Ireland's goal against Cyprus in the 5-2 loss wasn't too shabby.

• Advertisement

You mean the lovely pass by Doyle through to Keane in the match against Wales?

Do you mean the goal Doyle scored against Slovakia?

Do you mean the Ireland goal against Wales from a brilliant pass by Keane?

you mean the only noteworthy incidents in either of those matches? yeah... they were really pressing.

I was at the Wales one at home. that was frankly a dire affair. horrible game of football tbh, don't know how you can point to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

estie, your patriotism is admirable, but come on. Ireland aren't good. Not as good as you seem to think they are.

You underrate the managers contribution.

Russia finished behind Slovakia in the 2006 qualifiers. We finished above them.

Russia were beaten 7-1 by Portugal. Imagine if Ireland lost 7-1? They drew with Lichtenstein or whatever its called.

I am confident Trapattoni will change us around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

You underrate the managers contribution.

Russia finished behind Slovakia in the 2006 qualifiers. We finished above them.

Russia were beaten 7-1 by Portugal. Imagine if Ireland lost 7-1? They drew with Lichtenstein or whatever its called.

I am confident Trapattoni will change us around.

I not holding my breath but here's hoping.I miss looking forward to us in the summer tournaments.Miss the whole buzz but lets call a spade a spade,at the moment Ireland are Sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I've come to realise from watching this championship just how bad the home nations are technically (and to a lesser extent - mentally). Most of the teams in the euros are able to at least knock the ball around a bit without any problems, they can maintain possession and be patient when needed, but we seem to lose the head all to often and try stupid balls or hail-mary-hoofs up the pitch.

When watching Ireland especially it is a rarity to see us string a couple of passes together anywhere on the pitch. Even the back four, with no pressure will manage to fumble around and **** it up. In my eyes (and I know it's been said before) we in the home nations greatly over-estimate the talents of our own players.

• Advertisement
Advertisement