Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap sat nav for US holiday.

Options
  • 25-02-2013 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    The whole family are heading to the states on hols this year and I have been charged with sussing out car hire. Most people are happy enough to drive so long as there is sat nav in the cars. When we were there a few years ago I borrowed a Garmin from a mate and put the US maps on and it worked fine for us. This year unfortunately he's away at the same time we are.

Rather than paying a few quid a day to the car hire company I was reckoning on buying one or two cheap 2nd hand sat navs here and loading the necessary maps again. Feature-wise I need nothing beyond entering a destination and being told how to get there. I'm thinking that sticking with Garmin or Tomtom will make it easier to get quality maps.

Is there any reason that a 40-50 euro used sat nav (Tomtom One or Garmin Nuvi) won't meet my needs? There's no "region lock" that means I can't load US maps onto an Irish unit, is there? Lastly, do the same maps cover all/most of a manufacturer's range? As in, if I end up with two different models of Tomtom for instance, will I get away with just buying the one map?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You are right in sticking with Tom Tom or Garmin. They are the most reliable for both devices & maps. However by the time you buy a second hand device & then a US map to load on to it it will probably cost more than buying a new device over there. There is no region restrictions on devices as long as they are not live devices with a data connection. Maps however are locked to the device they are bought for . My advice would be buy a TomTom or Garmin over there , it will come with a USA map . You could then look at buying an Irl/UK or Europe map when you get home. Also with TomTom you will get a free update if there is a newer map available when you register it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Buy one here. Cheap as chips, you can get a decent one for $49, or a high-end one with a data link that will do tripadvisor, gas prices, local google search etc for about $149. Take it home with you and put the European maps on it.

This is a good deal
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/TomTom+-+XL+350+4.3%22+GPS/1767095.p?id=1218289421393&skuId=1767095

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Are the maps that expensive?
    Donedeal is full of ads for cheap Garmin and Tomtom map updates. Fair to assume that these are as legit as buying a card for a Nintendo DS with 100 games loaded on it?
    That looks a good deal Madsl but doesn't solve the airport > accomodation routing for us. Might have to go old school and use a map for that stretch of the journey.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,424 ✭✭✭✭Alun

milltown wrote: »
    Are the maps that expensive?
    Yes.
    Donedeal is full of ads for cheap Garmin and Tomtom map updates. Fair to assume that these are as legit as buying a card for a Nintendo DS with 100 games loaded on it?
    Yes, just as illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Alun wrote: »
    Yes.

Yes, just as illegal.

So is sitting in a Pub 1 min past Closing Time, Garmin updates should be free , I see no harm in updating without paying for same ,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Just because you think it should be free does not make it right. Garmin own the copyright its their right to charge what they want. Buying or downloading unlicensed maps is illegal. Full stop.
    Discussion of illegal activity is not allowed here. Please do not bring it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

KoolKid wrote: »
    Just because you think it should be free does not make it right. Garmin own the copyright its their right to charge what they want. Buying or downloading unlicensed maps is illegal. Full stop.
    Discussion of illegal activity is not allowed here. Please do not bring it up again.
    When I was in Florida last year, I saw a garmin 5" screen for 99$ in RadioShack, that's the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PC - Dublin

If you have a smart phone try the NavFree app (free) or the Copilot Live app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

If you have a smart phone try the NavFree app (free) or the Copilot Live app.

Will this not incur roaming costs on an Irish phone?

Will this not incur roaming costs on an Irish phone?

Indeed. Google maps would probably be fine for what we need but data roaming is the killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 PC - Dublin

milltown wrote: »
    Indeed. Google maps would probably be fine for what we need but data roaming is the killer.

Do not use google maps as they incur data roaming costs. Use the Apps, which use GPS only, not data. For peace of mind data roaming can be turned off on the phone and the SatNav will still work.

D'oh.
    I bought a dirt cheap TomTom Start 20 2nd hand after checking that the USA maps would only cost €30 from Tomtom. After I bought it (of course) I was doing a bit more reading up on it and there seems to be loads of people saying that Tomtom will gladly sell you the new maps, then tell you that they don't work with your device when you complain that they don't work with your device.
    I'm waiting to hear back from Tomtom directly on the matter before I stick this back up on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Hi guys,
    In a similar situation to OP. Will be driving on the west coast of the usa in september and can get a loan of a go 730 tom tom from my brother, i will need to purchase US maps which will cost €40 to purchase & install which i intend doing.
    I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience of Tom Tom's Lane Assist, i have not used one and am wondering how user friendly they are?
    Have never driven on the right before and would prefer a good lane assisting device as i have no faith in the one i married :D
    Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards

Lane assist is good , but sometimes its a bit late changing back.
    For first time driving on the right , you have more to concentrate on. It will probably be an automatic so you wont have the difficultly of the gears.
    Its more just a matter of taking your time & concentrating. Motorways & main roads are easy, its really on the minor roads or when turning off or onto one way streets. After that its just habit after a while & once you master driving on the right it stays with you forever.
    The Sat Nav in general will help you in particular the instruction go right on the roundabout ....(or is it rotary?);)
    Anyway enjoy the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

KoolKid wrote: »
    Lane assist is good , but sometimes its a bit late changing back.
    For first time driving on the right , you have more to concentrate on. It will probably be an automatic so you wont have the difficultly of the gears.
    Its more just a matter of taking your time & concentrating. Motorways & main roads are easy, its really on the minor roads or when turning off or onto one way streets. After that its just habit after a while & once you master driving on the right it stays with you forever.
    The Sat Nav in general will help you in particular the instruction go right on the roundabout ....(or is it rotary?);)
    Anyway enjoy the trip.

Thanks for that, very usefull. Is "a bit late changing back" from regular view to lane assist view?
    Regards

No. the other way around.
    Say for example your leaving a motorway and its saying keep left. There may be 2 lanes to the left and you may eventually have to be in the right of those 2. That may not show up untill the lane assist disappears.
    If in doubt tapping the screen does return you to map view though.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Tom toms and garmin sat navs are way behind the MIO units because you can purchase new maps for Europe or the USA from Mio and load them up before you go even put your routes in and watch the simulation of your trip , you will find lots on Donedeal and Ebay costing 40 60euro just make sure the mapping is up to date. Buying on ebay is safer as any problems with units are covered by their purchase protection.

John Dough wrote: »
    Tom toms and garmin sat navs are way behind the MIO units because you can purchase new maps for Europe or the USA from Mio and load them up before you go even put your routes in and watch the simulation of your trip , you will find lots on Donedeal and Ebay costing 40 60euro just make sure the mapping is up to date. Buying on ebay is safer as any problems with units are covered by their purchase protection.

Pretty much exactly what I've done with the three TomTom One sat navs I bought for €30 each. Maps loaded. Addresses for our rented houses, favourite restaurants and theme parks etc. all saved as favourites.

Advertisement