Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE WC coverage...is it anti English?

Options
  • 26-06-2006 1:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Or are they just telling it as it is. Its like a huge England bashing session....:rolleyes:

P.S should add I think RTEs coverage is far better then the beeb or ITV....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

darkman2 wrote:
    Or are they just telling it as it is. Its like a huge England bashing session....:rolleyes:

I hope it is....

800 of oppression.....etc..etc........

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not at all, it's just honest and England have been terrible. Johnny Giles even mistakenly called them 'we' last night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I think Dunphy is anti-English, yes.... Giles, Herlighy and Souness aren't really, they just tell it like it is.
    It's annoying that they never shut up about it, but when the comments about england are allowed (like when they're playing, or they're discussing a team they will play) then they're usually right (while Dunphy is a bit too quick to write them off). Fact is ITV and the BBC overhype England to the extreme, and I don't agree that RTÉ would do the same if Ireland were playing, if anything people like Dunphy are harder on Ireland than they are on England...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

darkman2 wrote:

P.S should add I think RTEs coverage is far better then the beeb or ITV....

They're telling it like it is tbh.
    England are playing terrible this tournament, but still getting through.
    They rightly deserve getting slated for their standard of play.
    If you listen to the fan phone in shows on BBC5 Live, the majority of the callers and pundits are slating the team too!
    It's just that the likes of the BBC and ITV main match coverage shows try and gloss over the performance as best they can and highlight the fact they're still in with a chance to win the thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

jhegarty wrote:
    I hope it is....

Was it John Giles who said on 106 that he wouldnt 'be able to read the English papers for years' if they did win it....:rolleyes:

Dunphy and Giles a week ago with Souness:

Giles: 'I dont care if England win it, it dosnt bother me'

Dunphy: 'John is lying, it does bother him, he dosn't wanna see them win it and I dont want to see them win it'

Also, now I dont know if I heard this right but did Dunphy mention something about 'gay sex' the other day referring to post match discussion with a team manager!? If so was that an English rep????? Dont think RTE will be happy with that if thats what he did say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

I noticed when Gerrard scored for England v Sweden in the 85th
    minute that George Hamilton got carried away and exclaimed
    "there's the winner!" or words to that effect. I thought to myself
    that it was quite presumptuous (although I know he probably
    meant it as an involuntary cliche or such). I was amused to
    see Larsson equalise for Sweden within minutes and within ordinary
    time.

I'm not a big soccer/sports fan but I am amused at the way the
    commentators emotions and perhaps prejudices seem to come
    out when there is so much excitement following the buildup leading
    to a goal particularly in soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,077 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

darkman2 wrote:
    Was it John Giles who said on 106 that he wouldnt 'be able to read the English papers for years' if they did win it....:rolleyes:

Dunphy and Giles a week ago with Souness:

Giles: 'I dont care if England win it, it dosnt bother me'

Dunphy: 'John is lying, it does bother him, he dosn't wanna see them win it and I dont want to see them win it'

Of the impression that Giles doesn't want them to win it because of this disillusional there-media-is-wrose-than-ours excuse, whereas Dunphy doens't want them to win because he doesn't see the actual team deserving of it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Not at all, it's just honest and England have been terrible. Johnny Giles even mistakenly called them 'we' last night.

I agree i've followed the world cup from the start (no choice with 2 boyeens as housemates who are a biteen obsessed!) England never capitalised on any chances given. I'm not anti-English but they have played desperately and they got this far due to sheer jamminess.
    Having said that i think they'll beat Portugal (sob.. ive a bet on Portugal)

Johnny and Dunphy are just calling a spade a spade in my view. If they played with the class and poise we are used of seeing in the premiership then maby some due praise would be levelled on them by the sports pundits in RTE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I watched a very good broadcast on Setanta there a couple of nights ago and they were having this exact discussion.I dont know the two guys being interviewed one journalist and some other sports personality but in general they said the RTE World Cup coverage was excellent.They were saying how the UTV coverage is on strict guidelines as to what they can and cannot talk about and if someone goes a bit over the top they get pulled quickly back in line.For example Ian Wright says what he likes generally and it leaves Gary Linekar gobsmacked and he has to soften it up a bit.
    Graham Souness was fairly quiet the first couple of days sussing the whole RTE coverage and once he got jist of what they were saying he got stuck right in.When in England they just cant say what they want to for fear of backlash but i think Souness now has giving plenty of stick to England not because of ignorance but beacause they have been playing poorly.
    The first day England played i was watching UTV as everything seemed much more professionaly done.20mins into the game i switched over because i could not understand why the commentators were throwing out positive comments wh the team that was playing right in front of me looked terrible.Turing over to RTE you got good "honest" commentry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

They're calling it as it is, but slightly going overboard. But definitely not anti-English.

ITV and BBC are so sychophantic its nauseating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

jhegarty wrote:
    I hope it is....

:rolleyes:
    change the record for christ sake,

The coverage is anti english and its a very sad reflection on a national broadcaster that it must sink to english bashing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sure Ireland is'nt there so what else can they do? Dunphy has'nt thrown his pencil across the studio in disgust yet.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

BrookieD wrote:
    The coverage is anti english and its a very sad reflection on a national broadcaster that it must sink to english bashing

saying that England are **** is English bashing. maybe if they actually played well they could say positive things about them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Mossy Monk wrote:
    saying that England are **** is English bashing. maybe if they actually played well they could say positive things about them
    here here mossy, the OTT PC brigade are out in force again trying to shame us for not liking a poor england team just because they are next door, the impression i get from most irish people is that they are disgusted with england because, we want to cheer for them , but you can't cheer what they're doing it's dreadful football. get the manager out and i dare say the commentary would drastically change, i want to cheer italy but i couldn't yesterday, doesn't make me an italian hater.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

their coverage is not anti-english, they are calling it as it is.

tbh i wouldn't mind england winning the world cup (whoah hear me out first).

i wouldn't mind them winning if they actually played well and deserved to win it and entertained me while winning it, i think i could bear the brunt of the english media if they did win it in this way.

but the way they are playing now it's only a matter of time before they get either knocked out by portugal or if they fluke a win against portugal whoever they face in the semis.

must disagree with some of the post here.
    England are playing crap i accpet that, But RTE's coverage goes beyond that. it IS very much anti english. This is also eveident in the recruting of a scots man who is also anti english. Why not hire a english pundit? the whole panel is just very happy at english bashing.

@ J.R.HARTLEY I am not and will never be PC!

i dont much care who calls a game as long as it is an unbiased view.

For the record i am an england fan, i think there playing crap, they will get knock out in the next match

BrookieD wrote:
    @ J.R.HARTLEY I am not and will never be PC!
    really, why is that such an important point, strike a nerve?

because you accused me of being something i am not!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cugYQ35vtvQ

here is the gay sex comment made by dunphy they are just saying how the interviewer is basically praising ericksson even though they were ****

get over it, the coverage is not anti english, the main point made by the panel after all of englands games has been the manager is a disaster and can't get the performance out of this team, how thats anti english is beyond me (anti swedish maybe). you claim souness is anti english because he's a scot, but he's been working at 2 english prem clubs in the last few years. and he has been very fair on the players. it seems that this anti english tinge is simply your opinion rather than fact.

Souness may have work in the UK but his true colours are coming in i think. As you say it is my opinion and your free to diasagree no harm in that.

Just dont call me PC i am anything but. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The sporting public of Ireland are equiped with those little gret dishes at the side of their houses, that transport to their living rooms tv channels such as Sky sports news, sky sports 1,2,3 and bbc1 and 2. understandably the staff of these channels concentrate on their own nation quite alot, and tend to take every inch of positivity out of an English performance.....if not they make some up. We to a lesser extent do it also. But the thing that gets up the RTE staffs noses, and half of Ireland is that the English media completely OVERDO it, so RTE say it as it is...

I will say one thing however, is when England aren't playin, RTE still tend to spend some of their pre match analysis on them, which shouldnt always be the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

BrookieD wrote:
    Why not hire a english pundit? the whole panel is just very happy at english bashing.

Trevor Steven is English.

The panel are not Engish bashing, they giving their view point. It just happens to be more balanced that the nauseating fawning that ITV and BBC insist in indulging in.

Anyway, this thread is going nowhere fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

flogen wrote:
    I think Dunphy is anti-English, yes.... Giles, Herlighy and Souness aren't really, they just tell it like it is.
    It's annoying that they never shut up about it, but when the comments about england are allowed (like when they're playing, or they're discussing a team they will play) then they're usually right (while Dunphy is a bit too quick to write them off). Fact is ITV and the BBC overhype England to the extreme, and I don't agree that RTÉ would do the same if Ireland were playing, if anything people like Dunphy are harder on Ireland than they are on England...

I agree with you there

Dunphy is quick to say things like Paraguay/Ecuador will play England off the park. I see the same type of attitude with him for Liverpool. Almost like he is dying for them to go out.

The rest of the panel are top notch and provide constructive criticism about England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I think the commentary is so anti-English, it's pathetic.
    I'm an England fan and I can admit they're playing badly but the commentators, particularly Dunphy, make me sick! They might not be playing well but even when they clearly have their moments, apparently it's only because the other team are crap. They even attributed David Beckham's goal to a mistake by the goalie!
    The worst thing (and most pathetic) is the way they bring England into every match. Whatever about just bashing them when they're playing, they make a snide comment about England at every chance they get. That's not honest commentating!
    And Dunphy's comment about gay sex on the BBC was just embarassing for RTE. It was even met by silence in the studio. It was incredibly unprofessional.

Trevor Steven is just about English ( Berwick-upon-Tweed)!

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Faerie wrote:
    I think the commentary is so anti-English, it's pathetic.
    I'm an England fan and I can admit they're playing badly but the commentators, particularly Dunphy, make me sick! They might not be playing well but even when they clearly have their moments, apparently it's only because the other team are crap. They even attributed David Beckham's goal to a mistake by the goalie!
    The worst thing (and most pathetic) is the way they bring England into every match. Whatever about just bashing them when they're playing, they make a snide comment about England at every chance they get. That's not honest commentating!
    And Dunphy's comment about gay sex on the BBC was just embarassing for RTE. It was even met by silence in the studio. It was incredibly unprofessional.
    Im sure some will have sympthathy with your view however the English bring all this bad will on themselves, either intentionally or unintentionally. They harp on about 1966 like it was some cosmic event. Just yesterday on the beeb on MOTD they were saying how England are as good as Brazil! and on ITV the previous day they had a 1966 'special' (which we have all been subjected to for the last 40 years). I think the biggest fear for not just us but Europe aswell is that they will never shutup about it if they did win it and we would have to listen to 4 more decades of anti-German rubbish and them telling us how great they are. Whether your biased or not thats how alot of non english ppl feel.

• Advertisement

Just yesterday on the beeb on MOTD they were saying how England are as good as Brazil

That was irony as Brazil have been largely poor so far.

Mike.

Advertisement