Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

psp rpgs

Options
  • 28-12-2012 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

could you guys recommend any underrated ones for psp, i have crisis core and the 3 psx FFs, and breath of fire 3. ive heard nothing but good things about the persona series but im a lil undecided. any others i should look at?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stop being uncertain about the Persona games and just buy them! TBH Persona 1 is a grindy first person dungeon crawler and 2 can be a bit archaic. I love them but they are an acquired taste. You should however pick up Persona 3 portable as soon as possible. It's far and away the best RPG of the last 5 years other than it's direct sequel.

Other games I'd recommend are:

Jeanne D'Arc
    Ys Seven
    Ys Oath in Felghana
    Elminage (if you want to try first person dungeon crawlers)
    Half- Minute Hero
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
    Riviera
    Knights in the Nightmare
    Tales of Eternia
    Valkyria Chronicles 2
    Yggdra Union

So get Persona 3 first and then I'd recommend Ys Seven, Ys Oath in Felghana and Trails in the Sky ahead of anything else.

I've probably missed a few games worth getting as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

so ive taken your advise, ive ordered persona 3. i'll let ya know how i get on with it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Lunar Silver Star Harmony,I enjoyed that

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lovesfatgirls

crimson gem saga - pretty nice 2d krpg
    class of heroes - old school dungeon crawler
    star ocean first departure and second evolution - very nice games

i personally couldnt get into persona 3 but its worth a play
    legend of heroes trails in the sky good game havnt finished it yet
    valkyria chronicles 2 i though was very good

im currently looking for growlanser wayfarer of time have heard very good things about it

cant think of anything else cept for the grind fest that is monster hunter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Maybe Tactics Ogre or Final Fantasy Tactics, more strategy RPG but still good games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

persona 3 arrived anyway, its quite interesting. could se me putting a good few hours into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Interested in how you got on with it?

I just started P3P and I'm enjoying it. There seems to be quite a balancing act to get right, with regards to tiredness/and getting through the tartarus levels. I'm going to try and get as much as I can done in Tartarus in one night.....it seems that despite the characters saying they're getting tired, their actual level of fatigue is not changing. this way, I feel I can focus on the social/academic side of it and not fall behind in my leveling. Is this a bad idea (question to experienced players)?

Also......the persona gameplay I'm loving. There seems to be a HUGE amount of them, and lots of combinations. A bit overwhelming. I also think I'm devoting too much time to one persona and should be sharing the wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

ConFurioso wrote: »
    Is this a bad idea (question to experienced players)?
    You should aim to get to the next teleporter thingy everytime you go into Tartarus, even if it means legging it though a few levels and escaping fights, that way you won't waste your dungeon time repeating levels. If you do that every few days you should be fine. You shouldn't need to go back and grind much - maybe for the odd mid-level boss you hit too early but otherwise you should be fine for the monthly bosses.

Early on getting Personas who have the ability to attack multiple enemies is your first goal. Following that just keep fusing them to get the highest level you can and use the compendium if you need a specific type for a boss etc. Mid to late game you're best off using Personas with Dark (Mudo, Mudoon etc.) or Light (Hama, Hamoan etc.) abilities as it makes a lot of the non-boss fights a lot handier.

Oooo, multiple targets? Didn't know they existed.....I'm just about April 30th now, used Alp for most of the first block without much difficulty. What personas have multiple target attacks?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

First rule of Shin Megami Tensei:

Always be fusing!

It's especially true of Persona 3. The Persona you have equipped directly affects your stats so higher levels means higher stats which is why it's great to create a persona of much higher level than your own through fusion and equip it. SMT is a series were a level or two can make a massive difference. Don't get too attached, the personas cap out after a while anyway and won't learn new abilities and you may need a large variety of personas for some of the special fusions later on.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    First rule of Shin Megami Tensei:

Always be fusing!

It's especially true of Persona 3. The Persona you have equipped directly affects your stats so higher levels means higher stats which is why it's great to create a persona of much higher level than your own through fusion and equip it. SMT is a series were a level or two can make a massive difference. Don't get too attached, the personas cap out after a while anyway and won't learn new abilities and you may need a large variety of personas for some of the special fusions later on.

Ah! Good to hear! I started to think this when I was being inundated with persona cards in block one. Still kept with Alp though. Perhaps time to say goodbye to her and fuse on up.

Love this game, and have already planned to play though again as a female, then get P4. I'm assuming its near impossible to do eeeevrything social links, all personas etc) unless you plan out ahead of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

ConFurioso wrote: »
    What personas have multiple target attacks?
    Most of them bar the early ones. Look out for abilities like Maragi, Mabufu etc (Ma prefix with the normal ability) They are the attack-all abilities. Pyro Jack might be the first Persona you can get with one.

Advertisement