Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you want a gaming phone, DON'T get the HTC Desire!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I think he put his fist through it anyway http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056721447

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Why he didn't just return it and demand his money back i'll never know. €40ish for replacement digitiser would have been the difference to a better phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭skoomi

TBi wrote: »
    Why he didn't just return it and demand his money back i'll never know. €40ish for replacement digitiser would have been the difference to a better phone.

Damo is talking shyte my phone is still perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

skoomi wrote: »

Perfect, yet the screen is smashed ?

Im beginning to worry about your ability to understand both technology and technology advancements.

listermint wrote: »

Perfect, yet the screen is smashed ?

Yes my phone is perfect and the screen is intact except for a small scratch.

• Advertisement

Yes my phone is perfect and the screen is intact except for a small scratch.

Right im beginning to think you are trolling,

Is this your small scratch ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80124929&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

This is old, old news. Back when the Desire/N1 was released it was fairly common knowledge that it had issues accurately tracking two fingers. It was multitouch designed with pinch for zoom in mind only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

I agree... i think i'll unfollow this thread.

Oh that's a second Desire I bought off Adverts for a friend. As I said, my phone is perfect.

This is old, old news. Back when the Desire/N1 was released it was fairly common knowledge that it had issues accurately tracking two fingers. It was multitouch designed with pinch for zoom in mind only.

Should I be burned at the stake for warning people about this problem?

The common argument here is "bah ... get a new phone". I can't afford one!

I was an android noob > I wanted a cheap android phone > I bought the desire at a very good price > I found out about this problem > I make a thread about it to let people know (people like me, not you android elitists) > Everybody tells me to stop crying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Just one thing

This app shows how your phone's hardware handles multitouch, very good diagnostic tool in my opinion.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.batterypoweredgames.mtvistest&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I bought my Desire way back on release day in April 2010. I didn't know about its problems with tracking two fingers when I bought the phone but seeing as most other phones at the time didn't have multitouch of any description and there were only a handful of apps which put multitouch to good use I didn't make too much of a fuss. I was very disappointed as I expected a flagship phone that costed over €500 to have proper multitouch but with use I realised it didn't really negatively impact the phone.

As for gaming, it's out of date. The screen is too small, there's not enough storage space, it's no longer powerful enough and as you've also realised there's a problem with multitouch. It's an old phone and it's unreasonable to expect a lot from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

I was an android noob > I wanted a cheap android phone > I bought the desire at a very good price > I found out about this problem > I make a thread about it to let people know (people like me, not you android elitists) > Everybody tells me to stop crying.
    why didn't you buy the ascend g300, its cheap and pisses all over a desire from what i've read

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm not telling you to stop crying, i'm suggesting you acknowledge that it's no good for what you wanted to do, learn from the experience and move on.

Im not trying to wind you up here, I just genuinely don't see that there are loads of people queueing up to buy a 2+ year old phone with the same expectations of brand-new-shiny performance that you seem to have had. Caveat emptor.

As for gaming, it's out of date. The screen is too small, there's not enough storage space, it's no longer powerful enough and as you've also realised there's a problem with multitouch. It's an old phone and it's unreasonable to expect a lot from it.

Your post is 75% rubbish (the stuff I marked in bold), same as every other Android elitist here. In fact it would have been 100% rubbish if I was a person content with playing non-dual-axis games like the latest Angry Birds Space, Amazing Alex etc. etc.

Dead Space - some of the most amazing graphics I've ever seen on a phone - works perfectly on the HTC Desire despite being officially incompatible. In fact I was blown away that graphics better than PS2 could be rendered on my "mere phone".

The first three points you raised - just edit them out and delete them to save yourself embarrassment. The only problem is multitouch.

Let me repeat this one final time - this thread is to advise potential Android n00bs or poor people who can't afford an S3 but want to enter the Android world while saving money (like me) that the HTC Desire has multitouch issues which may give you a pain in the hole if you plan on playing lots of games.

I know you can't afford an expenisve modern phone despite elitists telling you to buy one, but just be weary of this issue if you have your eyes on a Desire. The phone is fantastic for everything else and I would really recommend it if you don't plan on experimenting with games. Thanks for listening.

That is all.

guil wrote: »
    why didn't you buy the ascend g300, its cheap and pisses all over a desire from what i've read

What have you been reading? Your own imagination?

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Huawei-Ascend-G300,HTC-Desire/phones/6991,4281

http://www.phonegg.com/comparison/Comparez.php?p1=1246&p2=2266

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Those comparisons show a newer, cheaper phone with a larger display and a much greater amount of internal memory with an identically clocked speed on the processor that would likely be more efficient due to newer manufacturing techniques.
    Fancy clarifying your point behind those links?

Those comparisons show a newer, cheaper phone with a larger display and a much greater amount of internal memory with an identically clocked speed on the processor that would likely be more efficient due to newer manufacturing techniques.
    Fancy clarifying your point behind those links?

It's more expensive than the desire.

It doesn't have scratch resistant glass like the Desire.

Sure, the larger display is 0.3 inches larger...or 7.6mm. You're jizzing your pants over that?

Processor may be more efficient, and I agree the internal memory of the Desire is a pain but fixable. Does it "piss all over" the desire? No.

Right, firstly your thread is 2 years out of date. And had you researched this yourself you would have seen the limitations of the tech that you 'just bought thats perfect'

Secondly all your posts are coming across as argumentative and dillusional.

And finally, nearly 10mm all round on a screen of that size is much to get jizzed about because it makes a massive difference due to the scale of the desire.

(of which i have on my desk beside me coupled with a SGN)

Anyway point being, I wouldnt be going out buying a desire in todays market because its rubbish compared to what is available and i also dont have time to be correcting wrongs in the phones OS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

does anyone thing this thread is going anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Can this thread be locked?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Let me repeat this one final time - this thread is to advise potential Android n00bs or poor people who can't afford an S3 but want to enter the Android world while saving money (like me) that the HTC Desire has multitouch issues which may give you a pain in the hole if you plan on playing lots of games.

I know you can't afford an expenisve modern phone despite elitists telling you to buy one, but just be weary of this issue if you have your eyes on a Desire. The phone is fantastic for everything else and I would really recommend it if you don't plan on experimenting with games. Thanks for listening.

That is all.

Oh, pull the other one, it feels better :rolleyes:

You're "poor" but you can spend €200 on a discretionary item like a touchscreen phone for playing games?

This thread reads more like you trying desperately to convince yourself it's someone else's fault that you didn't know what you were buying when you bought a Desire thinking it'd be functionally identical to something a couple of generations newer. After a few minutes looking up specs, if you wanted an android-based phone in the ~3-4" form factor for gaming at around €200, there are plenty of options. I've taken the time to list them below, along with the prices at which they're listed either new or used:

HTC Desire:
    • Price: £210 new (Amazon.co.uk), €110-180 used (adverts.ie)
    • Release date: early 2010 (Feb-May)
    • Processor: 1GHz QSD8250
    • GPU: Adreno 200
    • RAM: 576MB
    • Onboard: 512MB
    • SDHC: Up to 32GB
    • Display: 3.7" dual-touch capacitative touchscreen

HTC Desire S:
    • Price: €340 new (Pixmania.ie), €200 used (adverts.ie)
    • Release date: Early 2011 (Feb-March)
    • Processor: 1GHz MSM8255
    • GPU: Adreno 205
    • RAM: 768MB
    • Onboard: 1.1GB
    • Display: 3.7" multi-touch capacitative touchscreen

HTC Desire HD:
    • Price: £299.99 new (Amazon.co.uk), €160-240 used (adverts.ie)
    • Release date: late 2010 (Sept-Oct)
    • RAM: 768MB
    • Onboard: 1.5GB
    • Display: 4.3" multitouch capacitative touchscreen

Sony-Ericsson Xperia Pro:
    • Price: £191 new (Amazon.co.uk), €265 (Pixmania.ie), unavailable used
    • Release date: Late 2011 (oct)
    • Processor: 1GHZ MSM8255
    • RAM: 512MB
    • Onboard: 1GB
    • SDHC: up to 32GB
    • Display: 3.7" multitouch capacitative touchscreen

Sony-Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro:
    • Price: ~£160 new (amazon.co.uk), ~€200 new (Pixmania.ie)
    • Release Date: Late 2011 (Aug)
    • RAM: 512MB
    • Onboard: 320MB
    • Display: 3.0" multitouch capacitative touchscreen.

As you can see from the specifications, the Desire uses a QSD8250 CPU rather than the MSM8255 - you can see the full differences by consulting this Wikipedia page detailing the Snapdragon chipsets, but suffice to say that the QSD8250 was first released in late 2008 while the MSM8255 was first released in mid-2010. I've not listed other hardware specs like camera quality, but from what I could see none of the above devices are lacking something that the Desire has.

The prices I've listed above are based on searches I did this morning, so they're as current as anything you've deigned to offer us.

I look forward to reading your explanation of how the above is somehow still wrong and I'm an elitist for pointing out that the hypothetical phone-gamer-on-a-budget could get a much better value device for their money if they spent even a little bit of time doing some research.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

MiCr0 wrote: »
    does anyone think this thread is going anywhere?

Since the opening post.

It's a bit like someone buying a DVD player and complaining it won't play Blu-Ray disks. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

You should have researched the phone before buying it. Cheers for the warning though.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

MiCr0 wrote: »
    does anyone thing this thread is going anywhere?

Not really. The OP is pee'd off that they didn't research a phones capabilities before they bought it and now they have it they realise it doesn't handle multi touch too well.

My One X pisses on it though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I loved this phone when i bought it in 2010, it was my first android phone and my first real smartphone. But its two years old at this stage what did you expect.

If my Galaxy Nexus ever fails i'd be happy to switch back to it for a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I'm still using my Nexus One. But I rarely play games on it. Not those fancy 3D ones anyway. Just the odd 2D games. At the minute Probe the humans & Stupid Zombies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

im looking at all the specs being listed, and none of them seem to say -
    "****ty multitouch" :pac:

while OP is a little out of date, its a fair call out. although one that i can't see benefitting anyone that much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

This thread made my day :)

BTW my GeForce 6600GT plays Quake 3 perfectly

• Advertisement

subway wrote: »
    im looking at all the specs being listed, and none of them seem to say -
    "****ty multitouch" :pac:

while OP is a little out of date, its a fair call out. although one that i can't see benefitting anyone that much ;)

You didn't notice that I specifically listed it as "dual-touch" capacitative touchscreen compared to specifically "multi-touch" capacitative touchscreen then, no? I'll assume you're trying to reproduce the OP's approach to reading so :pac:

It'd be a fair call-out if there was a wide perception that the Desire was in any way still a current contender for phone-based gaming. I've not seen any evidence of that anywhere, not least because there are a whole bunch of more recent phones with better specs at similar prices to what the OP claims to have paid that would be far more sensible choices. Especially not with the attitude on display in this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement