Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Known problems with ICS on galaxy s2?

• 06-06-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

I updated last night using the over the air update. Everything went fine but one thing I've noticed so far is when i close an app or return to the home screen it takes a second for the icons to appear - almost like its refreshing the home screen.
    Has anyone else noticed? And what other problems are people finding, if any?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Its not quite as smooth as Gingerbread obviously, in my opinion anyway

There are a few issues, it seems to be a bit hit and miss, I've only had a few minor issues, wifi refusing to turn itself off for one, and mine is also a bit sluggish for the screen to come on when I;m about to unlock ti, can;t think of anything else tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

I haven't have them happen yet so hopefully it stays that way. I'll update if anything else happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Have had the icons refreshing problem a small bit and also the problem with the wifi not turning on/off

Haven't really had any noticable problems since upgrading. I did read on drippler that Samsung are about to release an updated version with a lot of bug fixes. Dunno when it will hit Eire though. Keep checking Kies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Definitely not as smooth as GB. Also some apps tend to freeze or take ages to go back to home screen, then the "desktop" refreshes like above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I find apps don't load as quickly, where's my water is noticeably slower. Also, as others have said, my wifi sometimes doesn't want to turn back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

dooferoaks wrote: »
    I find apps don't load as quickly, where's my water is noticeably slower. Also, as others have said, my wifi sometimes doesn't want to turn back on.
    Haven't noticed any issues yet. But I've updated to stock XWLPF. That is a May release by Samsung.

G1032 wrote: »
    Haven't noticed any issues yet. But I've updated to stock XWLPF. That is a May release by Samsung.
    I might do this too, It can't but be better

I've found the issue leading to to what I was saying earlier about my phone taking about a second or so to 'wake up' if I'm about to unlock it. the issue is that the processor obviously underclocks itself if it is in sleep mode, when you wake it up, it first has to come back up to full power and this means than second or so lag, its to improve the battery life. I've done a bit of searching online and this was a complaint people had with the S2 from day 1 when it was running Gingerbread, some people don't seem to notice it though, so its impossible to say if its worse on some phones than others. I might flash that newer firmware anyway see if it helps..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Is this using Touchwiz? I've only ever had this using touchwiz - every other launcher (apex, nova) refreshes just fine.

I updated last night using the over the air update. Everything went fine but one thing I've noticed so far is when i close an app or return to the home screen it takes a second for the icons to appear - almost like its refreshing the home screen.
    Has anyone else noticed? And what other problems are people finding, if any?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I might do this too, It can't but be better

I've found the issue leading to to what I was saying earlier about my phone taking about a second or so to 'wake up' if I'm about to unlock it. the issue is that the processor obviously underclocks itself if it is in sleep mode, when you wake it up, it first has to come back up to full power and this means than second or so lag, its to improve the battery life. I've done a bit of searching online and this was a complaint people had with the S2 from day 1 when it was running Gingerbread, some people don't seem to notice it though, so its impossible to say if its worse on some phones than others. I might flash that newer firmware anyway see if it helps..

That 'issue' is there with the new firmware. Doesn't bother me in the slightest so never thought it an issue.
    New firmware has no WiFi bugs that I can see or has no screen refresh problems either..............
    Mine is also rooted with Chainfires kernel and I have JKays theme applied.
    JKays theme gives a huge amount of options to customise your phone

• Advertisement

Yeah, I guess its not an issue as such but my sisters S2 definitely seems a bit quicker.. Its just I like to check to time and even having to wait that second to do so is fairly annoying, there was no such lag on my old S1, although its fair enough needing to slow down such a fast processor to protect battery life..

After noticing that when i minimize apps it closes them altogether. The running app widget doesn't show anything either. And streaming video on dolphin hd takes a lot longer to start than before and the general browsing speed has slowed, all of this using wi-fi too. Is it possible to rollback?

It appears i now permanently have one new text message. I hope that bug fix update comes soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

I updated via Kies a few weeks ago and I find my phone sluggish and less responsive.Some of my apps also disappear randomly from time to time.Also after I updated and received texts from friends,their names never showed,only their numbers.I had to go in and manually put 00353 in front of their numbers which is damn annoying and time consuming.Its a pretty disappointing "update" in my opinion.

Ya I had the same problem with the numbers too and I haven't even updated mine yet coz I can't get stupid kies installed.
    If I have my handsfree in and am playing music, if somebody calls me the music stops but won't resume after the call, annoying when your out training!
    What's the build number of the update you got?
    There really is far too many flaws for there flagship phone, they better get on it and sort it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Build number IML74K.XWLP7..............whatever that means??!!!

Ya I was on that one too, have the s3 now and there's still some familiar problems.
    Such a pain in the arse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Updated my Meteor SGS2 to ICS via Kies a couple of months back and immediately noticed slow down and some apps not starting (I miss Leo's Filght Sim! :( ) but the phone was usable. I did not factory reset at the time and I suspect that could be the cause of some of my problems.

Today, things changed for the worse, big-time. Turning on the phone, it is now unusable. On start-up I get a torrent of "Unfortunately XXX has stopped working" messages (actually I have ga_IE language set so it's "Tá XXX stoptha" but I think that's the en equivalent), one on top of the other. The processes being reported range from preinstalled ones (Maps, Voice commands, Google+, Social Hub, Internet, Calendar Storage, Google Partner Setup, com.google.process.gapps, LogsProvider, SendMessages), those that I've installed (Journal.ie, OpenSignalMaps, Talk, YouTube, Hotels.com, Whatsapp) to android.process.acore, which sounds fairly system-critical. Most of these appear repeatedly.
    It's impossible to start Gallery, GMail and most other apps. Actually Gallery starts some of the time but no images/videos are shown.
    The "stopped" messages keep coming, anytime I try to start anything and sometimes spontaneously as well, especially Maps, YouTube and com.google.process.gapps.

Attempting to open phone, contacts or message results in android.process.acore stopped messages.

The clock is reset to 01.01.2000 00:00:00 on restart, but gets network time shortly afterward.

If I ring the phone it rings and either a new set of stopped messages appears and I can accept the call if I can nip in quick enough between the pop=ups, or sometimes there are no "stopped" pop-ups but the accept screen is unresponsive, with neither the green answer, red reject or the bottom reject with message options responding to sliding.

I can get into settings and seem to be able to get some response via adb on PC. What I really want is to be able to get my contacts, messages and pictures and images off the phone and do a factory reset. Is this possible to do through adb or the like?

Depending how old your phone is, I'd just bring it straight back to the retailer and get a new one. The updates on kies don't affect your warranty and shouldn't cause that kinda problems

Advertisement