Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nipple piercings

Options
  • 24-08-2014 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea to get my nipples pierced. I've been doing some research online regarding healing time and how much it hurts and it's all over the place. I've read that the healing time is about nine months, is it really that long? I enjoy swimming, does that mean I cannot swim for nine months because of the chemicals in the water?

I'm also a bit worried about the extra sensitivity that seems to come with it. A friend of mine did have her nipple pierced and had to take it out as she found it very painful to wear bra's and was in agony if her boyfriend touched it or if somebody bumped into her by accident. I also read stories of people completely loosing any feelings in their nipples. What can I expect in regards to this?

And the most common question of all: how bad is the pain actually. I'd say I'd have a low pain threshold and I fear I will either faint or beg them to stop after the first piercing. What can I do beforehand to lessen it(e.g painkillers or is there some kind of cream to reduce the pain?)

Thanks for all your answers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I had both nipples pierced, but got them done separately. I personally would recommend this, as you really don't realise how much your boobs rub off stuff throughout the day until you get it done! I remember the first one was sore for a couple of weeks, but the second one was much longer. It didn't hurt any more getting pierced, but the healing time and pain was longer/ worse. Noone can tell you what your experience will be, but you should make it as easy for yourself by doing one at a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dark.Horse

I have one nipple pierced. Healing does take time as ElleEm has said it's constantly rubbing off things. Personally pain wise out of ten it was probably a two I would say. My tragus is still my sorest piercing to this day and I have a few. I'd say go for it! They look awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Jenneke87 wrote: »
    I've read that the healing time is about nine months, is it really that long? I enjoy swimming, does that mean I cannot swim for nine months because of the chemicals in the water?

Generally 6 months to 1 year for healing, it can vary. You can swim, I just personally wouldn't for the first few weeks after having them pierced and when you do go swimming you should put vaseline on the sides to make sure the water/chlorine doesn't get in. Afterwards you would dissolve the vaseline off carefully with mild soap.
    I'm also a bit worried about the extra sensitivity that seems to come with it. A friend of mine did have her nipple pierced and had to take it out as she found it very painful to wear bra's and was in agony if her boyfriend touched it or if somebody bumped into her by accident. I also read stories of people completely loosing any feelings in their nipples. What can I expect in regards to this?
    I only had mine pierced a few days ago and they're not painful or uncomfortable at all now. I've been very careful with them, but wearing a bra is totally fine for me. I won't be touching them at all for a couple of weeks at least though, let alone letting my boyfriend touch them.

The only real risk of losing sensation in your nipples or anything like that is if the piercing is done incorrectly or if it gets infected or rejects. If your friend was in that much pain, I'd imagine one of those scenarios was the case as well.

And the most common question of all: how bad is the pain actually. I'd say I'd have a low pain threshold and I fear I will either faint or beg them to stop after the first piercing. What can I do beforehand to lessen it(e.g painkillers or is there some kind of cream to reduce the pain?)
    It was very painful for me. My septum is pierced incorrectly, through the cartilage, and that was probably roughly as painful as my nipples. I had to ask him to wait a few minutes before piercing the 2nd one, and for a minute I did consider chickening out and getting the 2nd one done another time, but I'm glad I sucked it up and went through with it in the end. :P It's really not that bad though, it's over within a few seconds.
    Getting 2 done in one sitting is probably the worst part of it since you psych yourself out for the second one, but there's nothing wrong with getting one done at a time either if you really don't feel you can go through with them one after the other.

Afterwards mine were stingy for a few hours but that was fine, and from the day after onwards they've just felt nice, like they were always supposed to be there. :P

Most important thing is that you go to a piercer that will make you feel comfortable, who'll talk you through every aspect of the risks involved and aftercare and who will let you wait a few minutes in between, etc. if that's what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Well I have an appointment for the 25th. I'm kind of dreading it. It's not the pain I'm worried about; I've had 2 broken ankles so I'm used to something, but I'm worried it will look awful on me now. I don't know why. I've seen gorgeous shields. chains and bars with little charms on them and I can't wait to get my hands on them but now I'm worried it will look weird on me. I cannot image what my nipples will look like pierced and fear I will regret it. I don't have big boobs, I'm worried it will look out of proportion somehow? Does anyone else recognize this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

You can get some really dainty stuff. I have really big areola (areoli?) so I could get away with thick rings and bars, but I have seen cuter, delicate looking jewelry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Well I have an appointment for the 25th. I'm kind of dreading it. It's not the pain I'm worried about; I've had 2 broken ankles so I'm used to something, but I'm worried it will look awful on me now. I don't know why. I've seen gorgeous shields. chains and bars with little charms on them and I can't wait to get my hands on them but now I'm worried it will look weird on me. I cannot image what my nipples will look like pierced and fear I will regret it. I don't have big boobs, I'm worried it will look out of proportion somehow? Does anyone else recognize this?

I actually prefer them on smaller boobs to be honest! I worried a bit that I wouldn't like mine as well, but I think you should just roll with it and do what you want to do. If you end up not liking them you can always just take them out.

Thanks everyone. Any good tips for reducing pain, is there anything you can do yourself to reduce it, as my piercer doesn't use coldspray(she says it hurts even more than the actual piercing itself) Can you take painkillers beforehand? If yes, which ones are the best? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Thanks everyone. Any good tips for reducing pain, is there anything you can do yourself to reduce it, as my piercer doesn't use coldspray(she says it hurts even more than the actual piercing itself) Can you take painkillers beforehand? If yes, which ones are the best? Thanks!

painkillers thin the blood.

Cold spray is a placebo why do you think hospitals don't just use it before stitching you up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I had small boobs when I got mine done. Healing wasn't that bad as I was able to go without a bra so cut down on the irritation side.

One thing you have to consider if you ever decide to take them out is you will get whitish discharge from the site that May or may not be smelly. I took mine out about 5 years ago and still get the discharge from time to time. It's normal as it comes from all piercings when healing but can make you feel a big self conscious because of location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Honestly I thought my nipple piercing was one of the easiest ones I ever had done, and I've had practically every option on the menu.

A word of warning, stay AWAY from net loofas. Can easily tear or even rip out a nipple piercing. You have been warned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭osaurus

painkillers thin the blood.

Cold spray is a placebo why do you think hospitals don't just use it before stitching you up

aspirin thins the blood, paracetamol doesn't. Honestly it's only a pinch, you will be fine, it's very manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 chamaid

The type of bra and clothes you wear after is really important. Cotton is best. Sore for a while. Try to get local anaesthetic gel. Like bongella mouth ulcer stuff.

Well, it's done and dusted :) They're in but it hurted like a motherf*ker, but it looks awesome. Thanks everyone for your reply.

Advertisement