Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Golf Coach South Dublin

Options
  • 26-11-2014 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Am low single handicapper and looking into getting lessons over winter preferably south dublin area but would travel if worth it.

Any suggestions for somebody really good to go to? Also interested in hearing about up and coming good coaches as would be interested. All opinions appreciated! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Russman

Am low single handicapper and looking into getting lessons over winter preferably south dublin area but would travel if worth it.

Any suggestions for somebody really good to go to? Also interested in hearing about up and coming good coaches as would be interested. All opinions appreciated! Thanks :)

I go to Dave Kearney in Grange Golf Club and find him very good. Don't forget one man's really good can be another man's clueless. I like that he's, to me at least, less mechanical than some I've been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

Would recommend the new pro in elm park, Peter Morgan.

Had a lesson off him during the summer and was just planning a return to sharpen up over the winter. Has a trackmann but doesn't over do it with it.

Think he works with a good few top amateurs and is involved with ulster branch team coaching too.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

(This is North Dublin - not South) I've had some lessons from Karl Herbert out of Kinsealy DR and would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Not used him but according to some of the elite amateurs he's coached he is supposed to be excellent. Raymie Burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Only one Keano

Thanks lads. If anyone has any other recommendations please don't be shy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Thanks lads. If anyone has any other recommendations please don't be shy!

Not south Dublin but I got two lessons earlier in the spring from Shane O'Grady in Black Bush and went back for a third a couple of weeks ago for the start of the winter season. I've had lessons before from various different pros but find Shane very good with a great set up including flight scope. He's the Leinster youth coach and has instructed some high profile amateurs over the years.
    He's not cheap though at €90 for an hour lesson hence the infrequency of the lessons but my game was in a real bad way last year and getting very frustrating despite having spent more time than ever practicing and getting lessons in an effort to improve. Drastic action was required and I've made good although not great progress this year lowering the handicap from 9.0 to 6.7. More rebuilding required over the winter to try and push on to a cat 1 golfer near year hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Not used him but according to some of the elite amateurs he's coached he is supposed to be excellent. Raymie Burns.

Which elite amateurs?

That's Raymie Burns, Shane O'Grady, Dave Kearney, Karl Herbert and Peter Morgan. Thanks for all the suggestions. The only one was not aware of was Karl Herbert. Was aware of the others and had seen one or two before and was thinking of going elsewhere. Anyone else any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

noel fox !! he will be Ireland top coach soon enough .. walker cup players sometimes win us opens !

Thanks guys! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

I'm a bit late to this but would you consider trying an online lesson? I'm using Eoin from myproswing and find the process so far really rewarding and I'm seeing results. He's very hands-on in relation to calling me and making sure the drills are working out and advising if I have issues. I'm starting lesson 2 this week.

I was reluctant at first to use online lessons but I have to say its been first rate. Going back and re-watching the lesson or drill over and over helps. I'd recommend it highly. I play off 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

the lawman wrote: »
    I'm a bit late to this but would you consider trying an online lesson? I'm using Eoin from myproswing and find the process so far really rewarding and I'm seeing results. He's very hands-on in relation to calling me and making sure the drills are working out and advising if I have issues. I'm starting lesson 2 this week.

I was reluctant at first to use online lessons but I have to say its been first rate. Going back and re-watching the lesson or drill over and over helps. I'd recommend it highly. I play off 9.

Out of interest did you just record your swings on the phone - is it down the line and face on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Out of interest did you just record your swings on the phone - is it down the line and face on?

Yeah one of each BigChap. Then you just send it to them and they complete a very technical analysis of the videos which they send back. So you get a 10 minute video back with the pro talking over your swings and pausing and drawing plane lines etc. A drill is then sent to you to work on.

The best thing is the availability throughout the whole time to speak with the pro. I speak with him every second day and he is as concerned with my swing as I am!

Advertisement