Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming back from injury.

Options
  • 25-11-2014 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I recently had very minor hip surgery only 5 weeks or so downtime and finally back on the course, hip is a bit stiff and the cold weather doesn't help but hitting some horrendous shots.

How long did it take you to get back to a respectable level after an extended break?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have had 5 knee jobs, about 5/6 weeks out and straight back as soon as I was on the course to my typical (variable!) level, the key is not to go back too early

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

I had reconstructive surgery on my shoulder a few years back. I was in a sling for three months and didn't even pick a club up for six months. Will never forget that time. When I go through a bad spell now I think back to then and it cheers me up to be out on the course. Bad or inconsistent golf is a lot better than no golf at all IMO. Best of luck with the recovery hope your hip is ok again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I dislocated my shoulder 5 months ago. Thankfully I didn't damage any nerves or ligaments but I went 4 months without swinging a club. It was a complete pain as I missed the majority of our glorious summer this year.

With my physio's blessing, I started back four weeks ago. The first two rounds were atrocious, but as the above poster said, poor golf is better than no golf at all! It's getting better but it will take time.

Good luck with the recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

I had hip surgery a year ago and although I was back playing by the summer, and everything had healed, I still wasn't fully right, it takes a long time for the body to trust itself to commit to the swing again. And even longer for the game to come fully round IMO. Stick with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

Golfnut77 wrote: »
    I recently had very minor hip surgery only 5 weeks or so downtime and finally back on the course, hip is a bit stiff and the cold weather doesn't help but hitting some horrendous shots.

How long did it take you to get back to a respectable level after an extended break?

Was out for a month. Took me nearly a week to get back right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

In a similar boat to yourself, although nothing requiring surgery.

Have developed bursitis in my left elbow which had it looking like a golf ball sticking out the side of my arm.

Have played 9 holes of golf in the last month, a will be another week or so before I can swing properly I'd say.

Have been told that it's also an issue that once you've had once tends to recur. Hopefully not too regularly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

In a similar boat to yourself, although nothing requiring surgery.

Have developed bursitis in my left elbow which had it looking like a golf ball sticking out the side of my arm.

Have played 9 holes of golf in the last month, a will be another week or so before I can swing properly I'd say.

Have been told that it's also an issue that once you've had once tends to recur. Hopefully not too regularly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Broke my tibia, femur and kneecap playing GAA about 2 years ago. Twas a bad injury and took about 6 months of serious rehab to get back walking & eventually running properly. Took a while for the golf game to come back but it certainly makes you value your game when you've missed out for an extended period due to injury...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 garysull

Hi, I'm due to have hip surgery in new year, did you have to pay anything towards surgery?

Golfnut77 wrote: »

Advertisement