Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice re golf lessons for xmas present

• 28-11-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

My dad is an avid golfer and its that time of year again when my sisters and I are trying to come up with an xmas present for him.

I'm just wondering is a lesson(s) with some kind of professional coach a runner and if so could anyone recommend who i could arrange this with and where?

My dad lives in Limerick so a ideally a munster based course would be more practical for something like this - I've seen the likes of the K-Club offer such things but can't see anything similar in Adare Manor or Dromoland.

We have a budge of around the 400 mark - I'm not sure if that would even cover such a thing??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

You are well within budget. What standard is your Dad at (what is his handicap)

A playing lesson (9 or 18 holes) would be perfect. Under 100 for a 9 hole lesson for sure

Try http://www.cartonhousegolf.com/golf/academy/golfing-union-ireland/ for something possibly more substantial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

I'd try and suss him out discreetly first though, some fellas, particularly those who have been playing for years and are self taught would never go for lessons.

I played with someone recently who had been down to a 2 handicap and said he's never even taken a practice swing not to mind a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Heffc

You could be right cairny.... do you think a lesson with someone really well recognised would make a difference to that attitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

There isn't realy a list of coaches that are at a level above the others, for instance there's a famous enough coach within 10 miles of where I am but we all go to one of the two local fellas even though he charges the same.

Padraig Harington is doing a night in Dublin in the New Year, something like a clinic with a load of stories about his Open wins etc, might be something he'd like if he's a fan.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/An-Evening-with-Padraig-Harrington-tickets/artist/5152373

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

cairny wrote: »
    I'd try and suss him out discreetly first though, some fellas, particularly those who have been playing for years and are self taught would never go for lessons.

I played with someone recently who had been down to a 2 handicap and said he's never even taken a practice swing not to mind a lesson.

cairny probably is right. I don't know what age your dad is but generally a pro with any knowledge will not go changing a whole pile if someone has been swinging the same for 20+ years especially if they are in there senior years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

OP, you can never go too far wrong with vouchers for a golf shop for a golfer.
    It may not seem the most thoughtful of gifts but it's my preference.
    We're generally a fussy bunch when it comes to golf so I certainly think vouchers would be appreciated.
    You could set aside a small bit of the budget and get him some piece of golf clothing that you would know is his style (or lack of style) when it comes to golf ;) so there's something tangible to go under the tree along with the voucher.

Advertisement