Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Winter Matchplay Event

Options
  • 27-11-2014 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭

Not a lot of planning has gone into this but we'll run with this for the time being. If there's more/less interest we can change it around.
    (I'll get onto Corballis to see if they'll offer us a rate for our rounds. It'd be a bit of craic to play games in groups but if not, you'll have a week to play/organise each game)

So, on the basis that we get 8 people interested I'm thinking that we either hold
    1. A mini Matchplay league of 2 groups of four. Each players plays 3 games and the group winner plays the other group winner in a final.
    2. A round robin event, 8 -> 4 -> Final

Option 1 means at least 3 games per person.
    Option 2 is at least 1 game and max 3 games.

There's also the option of playing the final in a venue like The European.
    I think it'd be an nice touch if all 8 people threw in €10-15 for a comp fee and the finalists get a free/very cheap round as a form of prize.

We could tie the final into a get together that is being talked about on the links thread.

So, if you're interested, please reply with your interest and state

1. Mini league or Round Robin?
    2. A comp fee or not? (With the view to final in the European)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Matches will more than likely be played on a Friday (there's a large pool of players that have been playing there fairly regularly on Fridays).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm in -

Will talk about options when we have 8.

Would need 8 fairly committed lads for option 1.
    I guess lads could meet on the saturday or sunday to finish match they could not get done on the friday. Corballis is good that way and quick and in play in winter.

Also handy - as I can head in after 13 - 6 up . :p
    Fighting talk - no, the last time I played matchplay there - your man played the golf of his life to win a dirty 2 euro of me - unreal stuff.

Will also go to Euro in March. Yes final there a good idea.
    we could also have 3-4-5-6-7-8. Playoff :D

ryaner777 - has just told me he will play - he is away.

ryaner777 - has just told me he will play - he is away.

Right, I get a bye into the final.
    Yourself & Ryaner play in the semi :)

All fun and games till money involved.

Does this have impact on Amateur status.

Do ye want to give me money before Christmas ?

No should be a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I am in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

If I was that side of the country I would play but I am not :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Defo in, depending on availability with work

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I'll try make it as well, need to get back playing golf to try sort my head out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

No chance for me as very busy through to new year

• Advertisement

No chance for me as very busy through to new year

Again lads . We will be going to Euro in March too.

Could be a Links social too. No bandits (jaysus joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I'd be interested Par, when are you thinking of having the first outing? Have exams coming up soon but after that I'm off for a month and will be East side for most of it.

Would like to play some more links over the winter; the waterproof sealant has worn off my shoes :pac:

Might also be able to spare €15 even though I'm a broke student :p

I'd be interested Par, when are you thinking of having the first outing? Have exams coming up soon but after that I'm off for a month and will be East side for most of it.

Would like to play some more links over the winter; the waterproof sealant has worn off my shoes :pac:

Might also be able to spare €15 even though I'm a broke student :p

Throw the €15 towards some masking tape for the shoes and a 6 pack. We'll do a student rate :)

Doubt we'll get it going in the next week or so, we'll sort all that out once we've a few interested.

PARlance - realistically will we be starting mid january ?

Unless if we got one round done before Christmas - it would take pressure off next 8 weeks in Jan - Feb.

Looks like we have 5 sure - 2 open at this stage.

Need 8.

I'd say strike while the iron is hot Fix. If we can get one round done before crimbo it'd be good.
    We'll be flexible, a game can be played at any time within reason.

PARlance wrote: »
    I'd say strike while the iron is hot Fix. If we can get one round done before crimbo it'd be good.
    We'll be flexible, a game can be played at any time within reason.

Ok we will target Friday 12th to start ? - then if lads can't make that - they will try meet up and get their match done by new year. We will target new year with all one match done - again we will try play the same day - but not necessary ?

Again - Corballis - is quick - and so easy to get out on - even on a Friday and Saturday.

Ryainer will ask for a good rate. But - in fairness it is cheap as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭pcasso

I am not a Boards society member, or a regular poster for that matter but I do like Corballis and links in general so if you are looking for someone to make up the numbers I am happy to oblige. I don't want to take up a spot from a regular contributor though

pcasso wrote: »
    I am not a Boards society member, or a regular poster for that matter but I do like Corballis and links in general so if you are looking for someone to make up the numbers I am happy to oblige. I don't want to take up a spot from a regular contributor though

More than welcome pcasso! Will be in touch over next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Playing fix in Corballis is like playing Barca in the Nou Camp!!!

But seriously, sounds like good crack. I can't commit right now but I'll see if it's a runner for me over the next couple of days when I get to chat with the Fuhrer

It'd be more like Stoke on a rainy Tuesday Foreright ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

Would be interested but would generally struggle to play on Fridays so no worry if that rules me out.

Lads PARlance is busy enough this week and next - but asked me to push this on a bit. We are also seeing if matches can be started before the end of year -meaning we only have 2 matches to get done in 2 months next year.

As we stand we need 8 - The following have given strong indications that they can play 3 matches. I'll assume bellow are a yes unless I hear different by Friday evening.

PARlance
    FixdePitchmark
    Ryaner777
    Golfgraffix
    dar Cool
    The Big Easy
    Pcasso

The following a maybe

ForeRight
    CharlieIRL
    Carpo

So round 1 (Round Robin) of two groups of 4 - all matches to be played in Corballis - preference is the Friday Open - enabling Qualifying Open Entry also.
    Matches will be played in 4 ball if possible - 2 ball if required - 3 ball if non competing player - or member with no match.
    If match can not be played on the Friday - the option is available to play on the Saturday or Sunday - or by arrangement between two parties.

Corballis rounds are quick - but all are reminded that you are committing to 3 rounds of golf there. It is a reasonable level of commitment - but you will have to get them completed by 1st march 2015 -1 match this year then 2 matches by march. So not too bad. But please consider.

15 euro entry per man ( 13 euro for The Big Easy - sponsored 1 euro each by Fix and PAR)
    Details of prizes to be sorted out - but in general finalists will have a free and near free round (:p) in European Club for final in March.

Semi - is being considered for another course. Getting to a semi may be rewarded with a good deal in a good links.

(Draft Rules)
    All matches n Round-Robin resulting in win is 1 point
    All matches in Round-Robin ending in tie - will result in 1/2 a point each.
    A loss is 0 points.
    Incomplete match rule required prior to start.

Tie Break Rules at end of Round Robin to be formulated. The match result between the two individuals in question could be first consideration.
    A 2nd option is match win loss hole difference over all matches.

Semi final and final ending in tie - requires extra holes.

I will generate groups using random function in Excel - when I get all 8 names - I will post the two groups up. A good starting point.

We could try target next Friday - but if not, matches will start Friday 19th.
    If some people can play next Friday - may be no harm to start ?

To all outside of this - don't forget that all are welcome to outing in European Club in March. There may be a night out after this - but one step at a time :D

So lads, have the random group generator set up - when I have final names will get my son to recalculate it a few times, and then post up groups. You will have to trust him - he is only 8. I'll get him to hit (F4) 8 times so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Deadly, fair play lads!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭pcasso

Just in case it is a problem I cannot play Friday 19th.
    I can however play Friday 12th and the rest of that weekend for that matter.
    If this isn't a problem I am in.
    Thanks for organizing this

pcasso wrote: »
    Just in case it is a problem I cannot play Friday 19th.
    I can however play Friday 12th and the rest of that weekend for that matter.
    If this isn't a problem I am in.
    Thanks for organizing this

Perfect.
    Everybody will miss a Friday at some stage.

I've a feeling it will be 19th.

I'll be going 12 th. For a practice or match.

Things coming together.
    Any other ideas forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Haha, cheers Par and Fix for the sponsorship but you're not getting a cut of my winnings ;)

The 19th suits me for the first match and if possible I'd like to get all three matches done before the end of January, as I have to head back down to Limerick for my final stretch in UL.

I see adverts has a 4 ball voucher for Royal County Dublin , might suit for the semi-finals?

I've been spending way more time on my golf game than my studies but fortunately :o my back is giving out so may take a rest now for the exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

I should be good for the 12th don't know about the 19th with work commitments

We may have a very good rate secured for Portmarnock for the semis lads.

Thanks Fix for kick starting this, I'll be able for 12th or 19th

• Advertisement

Haha, cheers Par and Fix for the sponsorship but you're not getting a cut of my winnings ;)

The 19th suits me for the first match and if possible I'd like to get all three matches done before the end of January, as I have to head back down to Limerick for my final stretch in UL.

I see adverts has a 4 ball voucher for Royal County Dublin , might suit for the semi-finals?

I've been spending way more time on my golf game than my studies but fortunately :o my back is giving out so may take a rest now for the exams!

That is fine.
    You will play 2 matches in normal way. But have to finish your 3rd match in your own time.

So lads 1 name to go.

up to ye who wants space.
    Please pm each other who can play most on the Friday.

I'll post groups Friday

Advertisement