Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pillar drill.

Options
  • 13-12-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

http://www.iedepot.ie/sip_drill_press_13mm/

I burnt out my good hand drill on 4mm angle iron while working on my trailer. It was the wrong tool for the job and I should have known better.
    I will replace it in the new year with something decent but in the meantime to finish this job and a few more bits and bobs (maybe a weeks work over a year ) would the above drill be a good choice or is it that price for a reason ?
    I have no need for pro model and 4mm steel would be toughest material it would be asked to do. Thanks for any help.

Mods maybe this forum is the wrong one for this question I don't know , move it please if you think so

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Buy any chinese pillar drill you can get - 4mm is a doddle to drill so you don't need big power or a high spec. Pick one that has a SIP label or some recognisable branding, just for the warranty and the fact it has been checked over. Even a tiny pillar drill will kill a hand drill for speed and ease of drilling. Or check adverts or donedeal. I'd be amazed if you needed to spend more than €150 to get what you need. If you want a good choice, go to McQuillans and have a browse - they're surprisingly cheap to buy for what they can do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

As NF says, no need to spend too much for occasional use. My only regret was buying one without the table on a rack (ie wind a handle to move table up and down rather than a simple clamp)

Use a drill vice unless you want what you're drilling flying round at high speed on the end of the drill bit!! Bro in law reckons it isn't necessary with a block of wood under what you're drilling but he's a chancer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Thanks lads, mind made up so :)

O.A.P wrote: »
    Thanks lads, mind made up so :)
    Then when you get spoilt by it, you'll want an ironworker! :) I got a 65 ton one a while back and now wonder how the hell I ever managed without it! Have fun.

You can never have too many toys tools :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

O.A.P wrote: »
    http://www.iedepot.ie/sip_drill_press_13mm/

I have no need for pro model and 4mm steel would be toughest material it would be asked to do. Thanks for any help.

Any pillar drill will drill through any thickness of steel if you have the patience :P, the bigger drills only make it easier/faster. If your only drilling occasionally then that drill will be fine.

What will make your life far easier is to buy a very good set of drill bits and start with a small size and work your way up to the size you want. Good drill bits are actually more important than a big drill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=993&d=1386871815

I found this on an other forum. Its a good idea, he has cut the top off an old broken Pillar drill and welded some channel to the bottom half. The mag drill fits into the channel and he has the best of both.
    A pillar drill for the small stuff or any work that can be done in the shed.
    A mag drill that he can bring anywhere.

That's a great idea. I've modified a magdrill into a dedicated pipe drilling rig, they're handy yokes are magdrills. Endless uses.Fantastic torque as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭mikefoxo

I see it says the max size drill bit for the chuck is 13mm. Could you get a bigger chuck and put it onto the drill for bigger bits?

You can get 16 and 20mm chucks but bigger bits usually have a 10 or 13mm shank anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement