Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society - Feedback thread

• 13-10-2014 8:09pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So we are soon to entering our fourth season. We've come a long way but there is always room for improvement.

So let's be hearing you. What did you like? What did you not like? The committee is meeting at the weekend so we will be discussing the upcoming year and any changes we think should be made. Your feedback will help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

It needs a links outing. Maybe post minutes of meetings

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

We've discussed this scrubber and all of the committee would love it but in general links courses are expensive. If anyone can get a really good deal, we are happy to look into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

We've discussed this scrubber and all of the committee would love it but in general links courses are expensive. If anyone can get a really good deal, we are happy to look into it.

Arklow is a great links and is cheap to play, around 20 quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭paulos53

Fewer games from the forward tees would be good. Off the top of my head I think we only played off the whites in Carlow & Ballykisteen and I am fairly sure that is because neither of them have society tees.

I can understand playing off the forward tees when the ground is soft and winter rules are in play as it was in Esker Hills and Portumna but not the rest of the year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Thanks dar but you have to remember we've got people from all over the place. I just done a quick check and it's over 3hrs from Cork to Arklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I vote for more comps off the forward tees!!

Society days are fun days for me playing with the people I post with. Its more about the fun than the challenging course setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Was thinking about links myself & how to make it work with people travelling from all over the country.

Maybe captains is the only way to do it, as if it's an overnight job a few hours drive would seem like less of a pain.

Maybe try and get some sort of deal for the monty ? I know its faux links but it would probably be the best option location wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Was thinking about links myself & how to make it work with people travelling from all over the country.

Maybe captains is the only way to do it, as if it's an overnight job a few hours drive would seem like less of a pain.

Actually probably that was probably my first contribution amongst the committee the other day. I had a lovely venue and all picked out. :D

Unfortunately as Keano says, links are expensive...... Some ridiculously so! Travel time must also be considered, so even with a stay over, we won't all be staying over, so need to be as considerate as possible to everyone in the society.

Be interested to know if we organized this well ahead of time this year would it encourage more guys to stay over and make a links trip feasible to a large percentage. This year was the first stay over and it really was quite last minute so maybe with more advance planning ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I have never played a boards outing mainly due to location but I don't think I have seen an outing in the north east at all ( I could be wrong as I haven't really followed it much) but if there was an outing up this direction a few more members may play which in turn could encourage to play in other locations.

There is some fantastic courses such as ConcraWood and Headfort New that would be great options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm not ready for another feedback thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I have never played a boards outing mainly due to location but I don't think I have seen an outing in the north east at all ( I could be wrong as I haven't really followed it much) but if there was an outing up this direction a few more members may play which in turn could encourage to play in other locations.

There is some fantastic courses such as ConcraWood and Headfort New that would be great options.

We have a good few lads from cork who come to every event with a 2 hour + drive a regular spin unfortunately. We have to stick to courses close to the motorway if possible.

Regarding tee boxes, when a club takes a society booking they automatically think part time golfers and make them play off forward tees. Every event we've been too we've been told what tees to play of.

Maybe when booking next years we'll mention we're all "competent" golfers and play a round or two off the absolute back tees.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Regarding tee boxes, when a club takes a society booking they automatically think part time golfers and make them play off forward tees. Every event we've been too we've been told what tees to play of.

Maybe when booking next years we'll mention we're all "competent" golfers and play a round or two off the absolute back tees.

:D

We have a fella from monaghan who makes most of the events too :)

Rikand wrote: »

Yeah Kieran is one of our most well travelled members alright

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Missed most events this year due to work taking off ! :eek: What recession :)

After 2 years of making most of them I was fairly disgusted but Il be back for next season

Last year was great having the courses and dates out early , same again this year I would think would see the continuation of the good numbers .

Good spread of courses with a day out down South as A thanks to lads that travel from down that way in Particular the boys who travel from Cork a lot , also I presume there is a good amount of lads from the Dublin region , a course in or around would be good also , other than could not really fault the setup and running of the season gone.

Poor lad had some serious round trips last year alright.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Lets no forget KAL over in Clare , although he did not make many this year he was one of the vital parts in setting up the show

I mentioned Cork / Dublin in my post above as I would say we have 4/5 maybe more regulars coming from that neck of the woods and the maybe a few more from the Dublin region

Unfortunately when we had an outing in mitchelstown we only had 14 play!

BTW thanks a mill for dropping the Jug up saturday pistol

• Advertisement

Unfortunately when we had an outing in mitchelstown we only had 14 play!

BTW thanks a mill for dropping the Jug up saturday pistol

I don't think it was given a fair whack , it was a backup at short notice after something else fell through ,

If I knew in November/December that I would be playing a round in the Cork region in June / July I would be there.

That Mitchelstown outing was the season before last was it not ?

No bother about the jug

It wouldn't be like me to say nothing. :D

But I think there is no harm if the society was somewhat less democratic - look for a few ideas - put that to an end - announce venues early - do not change dates. At times was a little too many cooks last year - but that is the unusual nature of this society.

Basically these are some of the things that came into my head over last 2 years - some are rubbish - but some may be worth considering

Overall fair-play forming a society that basically has no practicality to it from a logistical point of view - it is basically 7 to 12 hour days for some lads. So congratulations to the lads - named and unnamed that have done it. I think the members will be transient by nature - so well done the core lads who keep it going.

On that basis - it would be well worth getting somebody on committee - younger with no young family or other half (every year or 2). There are a few. In other words, the lads that have been the core - need to think of their own succession, as it is understandably a hard thing to stay involved in. It is outstanding what ye have done. I know I couldn't have. There may also be older lads with family raised - older lads are a bit more sensible too and stay the course ;)

Definitely could have done with a more solid time sheet at times - at times we were a bit too casual in bar - tee box empty and nobody knowing who is with who or when - I'd no issue with this - but it did mean - lads were finishing over a much longer time - and tee box was empty and people chasing partners. Obviously - hard work for captain - or committee to be waiting around for late comers - not sure this can be solved. But it makes lads turning up for the first time a bit - confused and hard to get started.

After outings - there are lads who should be helping out with cards - particularly if some of the committee are not around - lads like Space - Or Regan or Myself. It is just a reminder to get it done. Too much fell on a few lads.

The geographical debate is probably impossible to resolve. It is more a reality of the society - there are basically 2 options -

Stick to the courses in Midlands - giving everybody travel and the biggest attendances.

Or become more geographically spread - but have more different people involved - but less of a core group. This is going to make life difficult for a committee and a captain to stay the course.

It is a very difficult choice - but I can't see how anybody could argue with an outing being in Dublin or Cork ?
    A links - Like Portmarnock Links should be looked at.

On the course issue.

Lads are making a big effort and putting in big time into it. If possible keep the course quality at the high end - "worth travelling for" - ye have done well here . I don't think there is any harm going back to some of the courses that were outstanding. (Above 80 marks in Kevin's hooked is always a good marker)

The social night was class. Do it again. With drinking games :P

It would be great if there was a social at the start of the year - it would get people to know each other from the off and this would help people stick with it more.

On the Jug - if it is decided to spread courses over a larger geographical area - consider reducing qualifying outings to 4 versus 5. Would keep more involved and more that would have a chance to make team towards year end.

Courses to consider
    Arklow
    Portmarnock Links
    Athlone
    Concra Wood
    Fota Island
    Bunclody
    Headfort - overnight (2nd social)
    Greenore
    Tullamore
    Royal Curragh
    Cork
    Carlow
    Carton
    Palmerstown again
    Naas

Maybe Too expensive - but I wouldn't miss any of above.

So it is way too easy to be a hurler on the ditch - well done lads , ye have organised something that from the off looks a bit mental - but most lads just love their golf too much here.

I probably near the end of my own cycle with it - may pick a few handy ones if they come up. I think wives will put up with 1 to 2 years of that :)

fair play http://www.golfgraffix.com/ - outstanding achievement to get a sponsor on board for the last few years.

It should be considered if additional sponsorship is possible due to the unusual nature of this society (online) - are there not clubs out there that want their course talked about on line ?

But perhaps at that stage you start believing your own bull****.

Thanks a millions lads - loved the last 2 years.

And - I've met genuine friends from it - lads are way sounder in real life :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

CharlieIRL and all the committee, thanks for organising all the great outings last year. As some comments previously it would be nice to get a least one outing North of the M4. I've gone though this list of 40 odd players who played last year their locations can be broken down into the geographically spread. (based on home clubs and people i've met)

Dublin 14
    Cork 6
    Tipperary 4
    Kildare 3
    Kilkenny 3
    Westmeath 3
    Offaly 1
    Galway 1
    Limerick 1
    Monaghan 1
    Wicklow 1

While there is a quite large body of players from the Cork area. Having an outing in a slightly more northerly location such as North Dublin or even as suggested somewhere like Headford, Kells may widen the net to allow more people to sample the pleasure of boards outing and help grow the group as a whole. Even if we are not successful in attracting new members as a one off event we should have enough people within a a reasonable drive and a few nuts that will go anyway to make it a successful one off event.

lol -

Can I just add - did scrubber win the longest drive of the year -

That would be good to work out who won that and how many miles was it. Well I guess it was Charlie - Kieran and scrubber good contest. Or Paulo and Recycled could be in mix (lol)

Our other sponsor should be Continental Tyres,

Also - is there nobody out there - contributor or spy - who could get us out on a great links - a couple of Irish Golf nuts instead of yanks all year ;):D

Pat Ruddy is a gent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I wonder would a team event be out of the question? Like a 2 or 3 ball scramble?? Maybe the first event or something when the conditions aren't as good. Obviously then it wouldn't be a qualifying event for the jug or GOTY. Sometimes they are a bit of craic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

I reckon Paulos, recycled and kiers came from farther away to the outings but due to the fact I got lost 3 times coming back from outings I must of added 300 km to my overall journey. Thank God I Play Golf in the c ompany of others or I probably would be seen 3 fields over the OOB hacking into the distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

scrubber72 wrote: »
    I reckon Paulos, recycled and kiers came from farther away to the outings but due to the fact I got lost 3 times coming back from outings I must of added 300 km to my overall journey. Thank God I Play Golf in the c ompany of others or I probably would be seen 3 fields over the OOB hacking into the distance.

As much as id like to complain about distance travelled I definitely have it easier than most being just 1 hour from cork and an hour and a half from Dublin. Being close to the motorway has its benefits :-)

Christ, I'd hate to imagine the mileage i've clocked up for golf over the last few years!! I'd say its Recycled who has the most up at this stage, he's been to nearly every event.

We used to do a time sheet but 90% of the time lads just went out as we arrived - as we're coming from all directions and time being on our minds we just sent lads out as they came. We can look at doing them again next year.

I'm all on for playing anywhere, north / south / east / west as i'm in the middle of the country so 2.5 hours will nearly bring me everywhere but that's just me - we have to think of everyone. We were chatting Paulos53 & recycled after Tullamore to ask them how far Dublin was for them with the motorway and it was still 2.5 hours, 5 hours driving, 4 hour round & food = too long a day IMHO. All the courses last year were picked with travel times in mind.

I'll love a crack at Concra Wood all the same!!

P.S. Fix - 3 out of the 5 of us that organised the events last year don't have kids and 2 weren't married at the start of the year!!! And we'll never let you go, your here for life!!!

kiers47 wrote: »
    I wonder would a team event be out of the question? Like a 2 or 3 ball scramble?? Maybe the first event or something when the conditions aren't as good. Obviously then it wouldn't be a qualifying event for the jug or GOTY. Sometimes they are a bit of craic though.

Team event could be a lot of fun. But I dont know how well it would go over with the uber competitive boardsies who are all our for personal gain! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

I've travelled to all the events - 2 1/2 hrs and plus in some cases. Carlow is a great course, but was a very long drive. Makes a very long day , getting home late( & we all know NEVER SAY YOUR TIRED WHEN YOU GET HOME - golden rule)
    An overnight, for a course like Wicklow if agreeable to everyone would be manageable - to long to travel up and down the same day. My preference is to play courses that I have not played, but the distance to travel would my overriding priority. Courses that are close to the M8 are more accessible.
    Food for thought!

Based on the Ryder Jug thread...

Book Old Head for captain's day, get numbers early & everyone start saving for it now

Based on the Ryder Jug thread...

Book Old Head for captain's day, get numbers early & everyone start saving for it now

It is daft money. Think the lads put money every outing - 5er extra.

Are you guys reading my mind or something? :)
    Update post coming shortly

Gentlemen

So you have spoken and we have listened. The committee met yesterday and had discussions based on all of your feedback. Someone asked for minutes :D
    Whilst we would dearly love to accommodate all of your requests, it is not easy, however we will do our best. So firstly I'll start with the simple stuff.

Dates
    So we have looked at the calendar and have the dates mapped out to schedule our 2015 outings in and around the 3rd or 4th Saturday each month. The question was raised of having a Sunday outing, so perhaps you can let us know your thoughts on that?

We will let you know as early as possible when confirmations have been made and bookings in place.

Handicaps
    We will make some changes as to how the handicaps are worked, with complete transparency. There will be clearly defined rules outlined so you will know what, how and if any changes are being made to your handicap.

Captains Drive in - Open event
    So lets have a bit of fun. This will be a new, non qualifying team event. A sociable opener to the season aimed at encouraging new members, a bit of craic and of course the all important team building in preparation to reclaim the Ryder Jug.

This is proposed as an additional event, provisionally for the 31st January. We know how uber competitive you all are, so we don't want to have to sacrifice any chance of GOTY points.

Sponsorship
    Thanks to Fix for the suggestion and it was something I already had in mind. Many thanks go out to Golfgraffix for sponsoring the fantastic GOTY prize for the last few years, here's hoping he might be so kind again next year ;). I plan to make approaches to try and secure some sponsorship for the 2015 season.

It would be fantastic if any of you can help in any way at all, be it a single small prize or a large cheque :D So if yourself or maybe your colleagues, employers or perhaps your own clubs can make any kind of donation please drop me or any of the committee a PM to discuss. Even something as simple as a contact name and number would be greatly appreciated. If we can manage to arrange some sponsorship this year it will really open doors for us, so please do what you can.

Venues
    We have discussed venues, and I think we have come up with some crackers. Obviously, can't give to much away here yet until we get bookings and rates confirmed, but suffice it to say we will hopefully return to one or 2 past venues of note and add a number of new courses. We will endeavour to book as early as possible and let you know with as much advance notice as we can.

Links, Captains Day & Social night
    So guys, Links seems to be a big request but unfortunately due to the natural constraints of the society, it might not be so easy, but we will try.

1. In general Links are expensive, and the decent ones are very, very expensive.
    2. Links are awkward to get to, being coastal, it is a case where it is guaranteed to give some people very long drives.

As the night away last year proved so popular last season we would hope to do it again next year. The committee would love to arrange a class links course with a stay over so this would certainly help with the long driving.

To cut down on the cost (well the impact on your wallet all at once anyway), if we can get some kind of stay and play deal sorted, how would the members feel about paying off €5 or €10 as we attend the outings during the year? Of course, you don't have to stay and you don't have to prepay, it just might help.

i nominate seve for Captain - 2016!

• Advertisement

Coincidentally you should say that, (I thought I had this posted before) unfortunately kiers47 in unable to take the captains position full time next year but thankfully seve has said he will do it with kiers doing vice captain. All hail captain Seve & kiers!!

Coincidentally you should say that, (I thought I had this posted before) unfortunately kiers47 in unable to take the captains position full time next year but thankfully seve has said he will do it with kiers doing vice captain. All hail captain Seve & kiers!!

He said 2016.... 2015 will be enough for me thanks all the same :)

That free food has gone to his head!

Seve OB wrote: »
    He said 2016.... 2015 will be enough for me thanks all the same :)

hehe - are you sure ?

What if I promise you more of these at overnight trip ? ;)
    hens_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Lads who is on the committee? Has it been the same lads since the society started? You guys really need to think about sharing the work load.

• Advertisement

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Lads who is on the committee? Has it been the same lads since the society started? You guys really need to think about sharing the work load.

cheers for the offer Ben, appreciate it.

Keano, ssbob, kiers & myself have been here from the start, pistolpete and scubapro help out as well. Once the courses are organised that's the hard part out of the way. Sometimes the morning of the events get a bit hectic but its only for a few minutes.

Am looking forward to next year big time!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

First off thanks to Charlie and the other organisers, only made 2 outings due to new baby and dates clashing with medals.

Agree with fix about tee times - one of the outings had members going out between our groups which split things up a bit. Personally I prefer to know time and group before I get there if possible.

Not sure if we could get it in budget but another vote for Concra here, definitely one of the best courses I've played in the last few years. Some stunning views and immaculate greens

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

If carlsberg did golf societys:

Feb = Doonbeg
    March = Concrawood
    April = Fota island
    may = Adare manor
    june = Headford new
    july = Bunclody
    august= Druids glen(captains)
    sept = Lough erne
    Oct = Lahinch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

tigerwood1 wrote: »

Feb = Doonbeg
    March = Concrawood
    April = Fota island
    may = Adare manor
    june = Headford new
    july = Bunclody
    sept = Lough erne
    Oct = Lahinch

Tiger for captain :D

tigerwood1 wrote: »

Feb = Doonbeg
    March = Concrawood
    April = Fota island
    may = Adare manor
    june = Headford new
    july = Bunclody
    sept = Lough erne
    Oct = Lahinch

And every event for 30 quid

And permission slips from the wife to let me stay over for each one! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

dar_cool wrote: »
    Tiger for captain :D
    Just checking my lotto ticket from last night, you never know i might be able to sponsor them myself:pac::pac:. i got a feeling that at least one of these courses will be on our new captains list for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭a post punk

Just to throw in my thoughts lads !"/ thanks to all the comittee for organising a great year and was gutted to miss the captains day( got married same day).I am travelling from mitchelstown and have no problem going to any course as what the lads have picked have always been very enjoyable even as a very average golfer so i say the earlier the tee time the better! I would say yes to a sunday outing and definately a social event either side of the season, also i would pay the extra 5 or 10 euro at each outing towards the end of year bash.
    Kiers im disappointed you couldn't take up captain are you whipped already??!

Welcome back dude, congrats.

See ya in 10 years when your allowed out to play again!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭a post punk

thanks charlie i have permission for golf got for next year at least......

Lads, figured I'd give you all a bit of an update.

I suppose firstly, I would like to say a big, big thanks to the guys who have been behind the scenes over the last few years. While we all know how hard they have worked for us, when you get involved it gives you a different perspective on things, and you realise just how much effort has gone in, so fair play to all of you for your hard graft over the years.

So discussions are going on all the time in the background. Courses for next year are lining up well, bookings are being made and deposits getting paid. Just a few left to confirm, so I would like to hold off on letting you know exactly what's in store until the list is complete. It shouldn't be to much longer ;)

A bit of sponsorship has been secured which will help towards the running of things with prizes and course selection. If any of you can come up with anything, please drop me a PM.

The first outing as mentioned, will be the Captains Drive in, a new event and hopefully a bit of fun. It will be on the 31st January in a central location, so make sure mark your diary for that one.

Roll on 2015

• Advertisement
Advertisement