Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RSA Insurance and 123.ie

Options
  • 14-07-2014 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Stay well away from Royal Sun Alliance Insurance RSA which wholly owns and sells insurance directly through 123.ie. This is a company that appears to puts itself and its profits before the needs of motorists requiring insurance. This company which is internationally headquartered in London subject Irish people to a much severer and nastier standard than it does in Britain. There, because of the law on the Rehabilitation of Offenders, after a certain period, say five years, someone who has a conviction, cannot because of that fact be refused motor insurance, so Royal Sun Alliance Insurance RSA would not dare decline such a Britishmotorist. Here in Ireland which is the only country in the EU not to have ‘second chance’ legislation, Royal Sun Alliance Insurance RSA take full advantage of the absence of a ‘spent convictions’ law to immediately refuse anyone with the most minor conviction for anything, from obtaining a quote through its direct trading arm 123.ie. When a person telephones the Royal Sun Alliance Insurance RSA direct trading arm 123.ie looking for a quote, that person will be immediately subject to detailed questioning which includes a question asking if the person has any conviction whatsoever. If the person mentions that they have a conviction, they will be immediately declined by Royal Sun Alliance RSA 123.ie who will quickly terminate the telephone call. This corporation is not interested in listening or accepting any explanation as to why, or when the conviction came about. It might be the result of forgetting to purchase a television licence or for some minor road traffic offence that happened many years ago.
    Royal Sun Alliance Insurance RSA through its direct trading arm 123.ie punish all Irish people with any conviction, not for a five years, or ten years but for a lifetime. This lifetime punishment by Royal Sun Alliance Insurance RSA 123.ie particularly affects and marginalises older Irish motorists who, before the introduction of the penalty points system a few years ago, had no other option but to turn up in court if charged with any motoring misdemenor. This terribly unfair, stigmatising behaviour by Royal Sun Alliance Insurance RSA through 123.ie shows no compassion, no flexibility, no forgiveness, no understanding that anyone can make a small mistake and should deserve a second chance. Next time you see their ‘friendly’ advertisements where they sing about their bargain type insurance, think about how friendly and fair they really are and how they actually operate with greater harshness here in Ireland. Think before you involve yourself with this impersonal company who will not hesitate to get rid of you, if in their eyes you pose the slightest risk. There are plenty of other insurance providers out there who treat people decently and try their best in a spirit of fairness to provide cover when somebody seeks a telephone quote. The irony is Royal Sun Alliance Insurance RSA itself was criminally convicted here in Ireland a few years ago for discriminating on age grounds, when an older motorist made a complaint that they refused to insure him. The wonderful Nelson Mandela if he had, while alive, applied to Royal Sun Alliance RSA 123.ie for insurance would have been immediately declined by them because he had a conviction. Thank you for reading my review.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Does seem a bit unfair but Plenty of other options out there in fairness....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

It's not a monopoly.
    If you've a problem with 123, go elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

OP it sounds like you are short of something to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Most Irish Insurers (not that there are many left) take the same approach

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

oldyouth wrote: »
    Most Irish Insurers (not that there are many left) take the same approach

Not true, once a conviction is more than 5 years old most companies don't care, it's only RSA/123.ie that blindly refuse anyone who's *ever* had a conviction, regardless of what it was and when it was.

OP, there is a spent convictions bill coming (slowly) through the Oireachtas that will mean (once it's signed into law) you won't have to disclose any motoring convictions to the likes of 123.ie once they're 5 years old or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Does seem pretty harsh in fairness alright. Do all motor Insurance providers operating in Ireland take this general approach of not particularly wanting to deal with you or loading your premium if you had a conviction in the past. If so the whole system is badly flawed.

Despite being with them I'm far from the biggest fan of 123.ie. They're cheap to begin with yeah but if you need to change your car or any other particular on your policy they know how to charge you then. Only reason I'm with them is that I'm driving a convertible Toyota MR2 at the moment. Its only the 1.8 VVTI 140bhp so hardly a performance car but difficult to insure all the same being a convertible. My previous provider FBD had quoted me under €500 for TPF&T on it when I bought it but oddly that had jumped to €2,200 about 3 months later when I had it bought and was actually putting it on the road. 123.ie were the only provider besides who would actually quote me on it and it was affordable at under €500.

I thought Tesco also provided RSA insurance?...they did at one stage but these things change quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Just so everyone knows the OP came in and posted this as his first post.

Something seems a bit odd here.
    Step 1 Open account.
    Step 2 Slate RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Forgetting to purchase a television licence???? What's that got to do with car insurance? :confused:

mb1725 wrote: »
    Forgetting to purchase a television licence???? What's that got to do with car insurance? :confused:
    You get a conviction for no tv license, the insurance company asks "do you have any convictions"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Does this apply to home, business, life insurances as well? I would have assumed that the conviction question would mean for a motoring offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mb1725 wrote: »

I don't know anyone who ever forgot to buy a TV licence getting a conviction, people who ignore several calls and letters and choose not to buy get convicted.

Back OT. It's a private company selling a product, once it's not doing anything illegal they can pick and choose who they want to cover. Plenty of other options if you don't like one company.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

I thought Tesco also provided RSA insurance?...they did at one stage but these things change quickly

The missus is insured with them and received a letter to say Tesco are not continuing insurance with RSA and all policies are automatically being transferred to RSA themselves come the 1st of August.

Yakuza wrote: »
    Not true, once a conviction is more than 5 years old most companies don't care, it's only RSA/123.ie that blindly refuse anyone who's *ever* had a conviction, regardless of what it was and when it was.

Nearly every insurer ask have you EVER had a conviction. They do no put a time limitation on it nor do they say what type of conviction you need to disclose. What they do with that information varies from company to company. Some ignore non-motor related convictions going back a few years, while others will give you a straight refusal.

As for the example of forgetting to pay your licence, well that was never a conviction. Not paying the licence leads to a fine and ultimately a conviction. A person who chooses to ignore their legal responsibilities will always draw attention to an insurer, either as a moral risk or as a credible witness if it ever came to a disputed claim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I didn't say they didn't ask, just that they didn't take them into account if they were sufficiently back in the past. I would also assert that the only convictions they do ask about are motoring ones (based on the many proposals I've filled out in 25+ years of driving), I've no idea why someone brought up a tv licence-related conviction.

Here's Zurich's propsal form. http://www.zurichinsurance.ie/internet/irelandgi/sitecollectiondocuments/car/document%20download/45898privatecarin4bb187.pdf

Well just take the Aviva declaration as an example

You (and your named drivers)
    Have never been disqualified from driving
    Have never had any endorsement on your licence
    Have had no claims made against you in the last three years, nor been involved in any accident or loss
    Have not been convicted of any offences of any nature, or have any now pending
    Have no more than four penalty points on your current licence

Now a couple of examples that would interest them.
    Arson
    Receiving Stolen Goods
    Drug offences
    Theft
    Perjury
    Assault, Murder, etc
    Malicious Damage
    Embezzlement

These all indicate what you are capable of and the type of people you associate with but one of the biggest factors would be your credibility as a witness if your insurer is trying to defend liability following an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 18 brick1

I asked 123.ie to clarify the clause in their household cover
    ( During the period 1st november to 31st march annually.Immediately upon the house becoming unoccupied,we will not be liable for any loss or damage in respect of all claims caused by or as a result of )
    cause 4 "freezing,escape of water from within any plumbing or heating system,fixed water apparatus or fixed domestic appliance"
    basically I said ' immediately ' is is ridiculously onerous asked if I so much as go out to the shop , must I drain the water system etc.

Answer: No as I will be coming back , BUT IF I STAY OUT OVERNIGHT THEN YES I WOULD HAVE TO DRAIN THE SYSTEM AND TURN OFF THE WATER.

At what point does a policy stop becoming insurance and feel like a fraudulent ruse?? you comment's please.
    In a time when we have insulated houses, automatic gas boilers with frost thermostats and internet enabled automatic alarms with controls , been present should be history in favor of high standards of equipment / housing manufacture and adequate (frost etc) controls.

If you don't like it move insurer.

And this is not a home insurance forum anyway.

Advertisement