Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new volvo s40 opinions

• 17-01-2008 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just looking at the new volvo s40. Took a quick look and the build quality is lovely, very german premium type quality but without the premium price. Anybody have one and have an opinion on this car.
    The 1.8 flexifuel is avail starting at 26k but i reckon if i wait till july i could get the diesel a lot cheaper than its list 30k price... but how would the vrt changes affect the existing flexifuel 1.8f which already benefits from 50% reduction?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think it's looks a bit on the wee size but the estate is fantastic looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I have the old one and it is a nice if rather unexciting car, and I'm sure the new one is better still. It is based on the Ford Focus, and all the 2.0 and below engines are straight out of a Focus. I've heard a lot of positive comments about the S40, so it should be good.

The 50% VRT rebate is going for the 1.8F. It will be taxed the same as a normal 1.8, but there will be an additional rebate of up to €2,500 available, the only thing is the Government hasn't told us what cars are going to get this rebate yet and how much it will be!

The diesels will doubtless be cheaper in July. By how much remains to be seen, but what I can tell you is that the 1.8 petrols will be in the 28% VRT, as will the 1.6, as opposed to 12.5% for the 1.8F now and 25% for the 1.6 and standard 1.8, although as I say, there is this €2,500 rebate possibility for the 1.8F. I presume the Government will give it but I don't have a Crystal Ball:D!

The 1.6D pollutes 129 g/km of CO2, so that is enough for the car to qualify for 16% VRT(compared to 25% now), and the 2.0D does 153 g/km, so that is good for 20% VRT as opposed to 30% now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

50% VRT rebate is continuing E92, as it was announced in the budget. Road tax is about the same as a normal 1.8 petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I had one for almost a year (2005 MkII pre-facelift) and thought it was a brilliant car. It's not the most exciting car to drive, but I think it looks great and the spec you get on the SE model is very high.

Don't listen to the odd 'sure it's only a fancy ford focus' opinions - it's a lot more than that. Go for the upgraded sound system if you get the SE.
    I think you'd be best off waiting for July and getting the 1.6D, as stated below, it will fall into the 16% VRT bracket so the prices should decrease by a couple of thou. The 1.6 is a fine engine too - used in Peugeot 407, 308, Citroen C4, C5 etc etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have the 1.8 petrol SE Lux model. Love it dearly, but would be reluctant to buy new as they drop like a lead balloon in price after a couple of years. The S40 has a few "known" issues with electrics giving you near heart attacks when it just needs a moment to compose itself. Boot is very deep and good size but access it poor. I would be reluctant to go for the 1.6D as I'd expect it to be sluggish.

The only car I've had where people will openly comment on how nice it looks inside and out. Go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

50% VRT rebate is continuing E92, as it was announced in the budget. Road tax is about the same as a normal 1.8 petrol.
    8. Existing environmental initiative in the VRT system
    The existing VRT relief scheme for series production hybrid electric and flexible fuel cars,
    which expires on 31 December 2007, is being extended to 30 June 2008. From 1 July 2008
    the relief for such cars will be adjusted to give a relief of up to €2,500 on the VRT payable;
    this is in addition to the benefit of the new VRT CO2 emission related banding.
    With effect from 1 January 2008, electric cars and cycles will be exempted from VRT.
    I will continue to give recognition to the efforts of vehicle manufacturers to promote new technologies. Existing incentives for certain hybrid electric and flexible fuel cars are being extended to 1 July 2008. Thereafter and in addition to the benefit of the new CO2 based VRT system, I will be providing for a further top-up relief up to €2,500on the VRT payable on such cars.

Therefore it's going in July;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭mountain

I drove a V50, for 3 years and it was nice and comfortable, safe as well, well finished. However, the 1.8 petrol was gutless, rear seat space poor, and the boot space wasnt great either. However it was well specced with plenty of kit.

Go for the 1.6D, over the 1.8 petrol if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

so if you had the choice between the s40 and c30 (i know they are different types of cars.. ) i would be interested to hear your opinions...
    I drove it earlier today and found the engine fantastic in the c30. Nimble on the go. plenty of go in the 1.8f petrol. Same would be of the s40. Its a new model for 2008 i was told.

Advertisement