Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Coupe, are they womens Cars?

Options
  • 15-01-2008 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I always liked the Hyundai Coupe (Later model) and was thinking of getting one. I believe they look good and are great value. But everyone I see on the road is driven by a women. So if I was to get one, am I setting myself up to be ridiculed by my mates for driving "a birds car"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

I also see a lot of women driving them - but to hell with that, it's a nice looking great value car. Also love the MX-5 which I would regard as more girly TBH.

Not quite the same type of car but any french coupé for example I think looks more girly than the Hyundai.

If you like it, go for it!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Caveat wrote: »
    If you like it, go for it!
    Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Personally I don't like them - I think they do look good but always imagine they'd crumple like a tin can if ever involved in a crash ie they seem to me like bad build quality, cheap materials etc. But that's just my taste - I'm personally biased towards german cars like VW, Audi and BMW. But perhaps they represent good value for money in terms of spec? The german cars i mention normally have a bad standard spec so the extras add up considerably.

I myself couldn't care less what others thought as long as I liked the car myself - so what if some consider it a girls car? Get one if it suits your needs and you like it, best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

The 2.7 twin exhaust models are a great car.
    And you will not look like a BURD in one - infact you'll look like a bit of a dude in one (but only in the 2.7v6) imho.

The new model to come looks SENSATIONAL! anyone got any links of pics to the new model to be launched later this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

If your budget stretches to it, I'd go for the MX-5. I think it's a better car, but I'm biased. I'd love to own an MX-5 in a couple of years... Not sure how the residuals compare. I agree with Caveat though - great looks, great price. Go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I personally always liked them the older models not so much but after '02. However having driven one of the 1.6 models i was ver disappointed with the build quallity and the handling. I had really liked them but it changed my mind. If you did want to go for one i wouldnt go below the 2lt model with the leather seats much better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Yes, you will look like a girl. If you go for the V6 model you will look like a girl that will see terrible residuals when you go to sell it.

Much better out there for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I had a 2002 one, 1.6 engine. It could do with more power alright but it'll get you from A to B. Build quality was fine. It had zero rattles or anything like that. There was 72000 miles on it when I traded it and it hadn't cost me a penny besides fuel and a scheduled service during the time I had it. I also have to say it never felt like it would crumple like a tin can either!

If you like the car, go for it and fcuk the tossers that think its a reason to slag you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

f22 wrote: »
    Yes, you will look like a girl. If you go for the V6 model you will look like a girl that will see terrible residuals when you go to sell it.

Much better out there for the money.

F22 - your entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion you are sooooooooooooooooo wrong. The 2.7v6 is a great car..........i used to own one and did'nt look like a girl in it!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The 2 litre ones have the twin pipes also. The 2.7 V6 is terribly underpowered, so not worth the tax and insurance and fuel costs. They're a little girly, but don't let that worry you anyway if you like them. Just get a set of 18" rims under a nice black one and away you go!
    They're not the best handling coupe out there, but they're OK. Beware of the Korean tyres on them though, they are far far worse than shyte, dowright dangerous.
    MX5 is a peach of a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

F22 - your entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion you are sooooooooooooooooo wrong. The 2.7v6 is a great car..........i used to own one and did'nt look like a girl in it!:D

Well thats a matter of opinion.

The fact is that at resale time, a car like that with a large engine is very undesirable. Resale values prove it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ex girlfriend got one the other day, the 08 model in red. Looks lovely.

The 2.7 twin exhaust models are a great car.
    And you will not look like a BURD in one - infact you'll look like a bit of a dude in one (but only in the 2.7v6) imho.

The new model to come looks SENSATIONAL! anyone got any links of pics to the new model to be launched later this year.
    I strongly disagree. Although it’s a 2.7 litre V6 it only gives you a measly 170bhp. That means it is only marginally quicker and more powerful than the 2ltr version and its mpg figures are much worse. What are those two extra pots doing?

It you put a gun to my head and told me to buy a Coupe, it would be the 2ltr version. The 2.7ltr doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To hell with what other people think of you or the car you drive. If you like it, can afford it and want it, then go for it!

Imo only insecure people would let others make the decision for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yeah the 1.6 is a bit gutless, if you can afford it go for the 2 litre - this gives you leather seats and climate. I used to own a 2L gen 3 and it was fine, never had a days trouble over 3 years. I just don't get it with people who slag off the car as girly - its miles better looking than most boring 4 door saloons.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

personally i like the car, if your worried about lookin girly i wouldnt go for an mx-5.its a bit girly in fairness like!!!its a tiny little thing, the only guys you woould see in them are the poor sods goin through a mid life crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

If you were my friend, Id slag ya alright

that fact that you have to ask, means that its a possibility, and thats all some people need to try and get a rise outta others :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

People whio slag others about driving birds cars are generally no brained tools.

the Hyundai coupe is supposed to be a good value, high fun sports car and it seems to hit the mark on all counts - f*ck the begrudgers - bet they drive a mans car like a Carina or Avensis :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

I bought an 07 model (1.6 - fine for city driving) last year and took a little bit of stick for it, but from people who were driving ****ty <'02 cars - so they shut up pretty quick.

I like the car but am going to change in a month or two for an A4 simply for the space, there's pretty much no back seat in them.

All in all never regretted buying the car

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tatu100

I'll get one, I think. but with tax and insurance the price it is in this FARCICAL country, I'll unfortunately have to go for the 1.6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes the Back seat is bloody awful, however it is a coupe. but if you bringing your mates.. let them walk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

let me know what you ended up paying, not sure whether to trade mine in for an A4, or sell it privately (15,000km, due its first service, and a teeny dint on the left rear wheel arch...fookin bollards the size of midgets)

RobAMerc wrote: »
    People whio slag others about driving birds cars are generally no brained tools.

the Hyundai coupe is supposed to be a good value, high fun sports car and it seems to hit the mark on all counts - f*ck the begrudgers - bet they drive a mans car like a Carina or Avensis :rolleyes:

Its a bit of a stretch calling it a sports car. Even the V6 still takes over 8 seconds to get to 60...

It does however look like a sports car! Personally thats my problem with it. Its all show and no go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Its 27k for the 08 1.6 model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

I bought what I'd (and probably lots of others) would consider to be a bit of a girls car but I've gotten away with it completely so far with no slags about it, and I love the car! Its a bright red Astra sporthatch.

Although I do get a hard time from those in the know about the fact that it's got a Fiat engine (only found out weeks after I bought it)... That's only because they know that the day I'd knowingly buy a Fiat would be the day that Hell freezes over! But forgive me for digressing.

So I say if you want to drive a bloody Nissan Figaro, nothing should stop you! Don't worry about the abuse you may get from people who don't know enough about cars to realize the Hyundai is a well spec'd, nice looking, affordable, safe and reliable car............. For girls........(only messing!):D:D:D.

Rory123 wrote: »
    Although I do get a hard time from those in the know about the fact that it's got a Fiat engine (only found out weeks after I bought it)... That's only because they know that the day I'd knowingly buy a Fiat would be the day that Hell freezes over!

They make a far better diesel engine than Opel do! Fiat make some of the best diesel engines going. They co-developed common rail technology with Bosch, which almost every manufacturer of diesel engines use now.

Rory123 wrote: »

Although I do get a hard time from those in the know about the fact that it's got a Fiat engine (only found out weeks after I bought it)... That's only because they know that the day I'd knowingly buy a Fiat would be the day that Hell freezes over! But forgive me for digressing.

Fiat supply engines to many GM companies and a host of other manufacturers. There is nothing wrong with Fiat engines.

They have been one of the most innovative engine manufacurers in the course of their history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

Maybe, but sometimes during the process of putting their (Fiat) cars together things can go very wrong somehow...most notably, the electrics

Caveat wrote: »
    Maybe, but sometimes during the process of putting their (Fiat) cars together things can go very wrong somehow...most notably, the electrics

Ya, there's a likelyhood that a switch will fail, a fuse or two might blow, general stuff like that alright, but the engines are good. There has been exceptions, like all manufacturers, but I'd rather have something stop working in the car than the engine seizing like has happened to a few Audi's I know of.

It's probably best not let an Italian wire your house maybe! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

yeah folks that's fine... but the fact is that I personally hate Fix It Again Tommorows. And I wouldn't buy one. Its a bit annoying that they put the exact same 1.3cdti engine from a €13k Punto van into Sporthatch van and charged me €21,750 for it, without telling me!:confused:

If Fiats are so good, why are they so cheap?

The belts in my van whine terribly in wet weather. The car seriously lacks power for the first minute of driving when the engine is cold (pulling off in first is like pulling off in third). It has already been recalled due to dodgy starter motors. The car has under 20,000 km and has had these symptoms since a few thousand kms.

That said I do still love the car.

Advertisement