Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joining two CAT6 cables?

Options
  • 23-03-2015 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

What is the best method for the above.

I've had to move my AV equipment to the other side of the room and running a fresh lenght is not and option, so I've had to run cable from it's existing position to the new position hence creating a joint.

So what's the best method of joining two CAT6 cables?

Crimp both ends with a RJ45 head and use one of those couplers?

Or is there a specific punch down part?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Best option would be a 4port switch.

Real world if the lengths are short a coupler will do grand. I have two 30m runs of 5e coupled and doing gigabit no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

I'd have to agree, a switch would be the best option. A coupler might not get the throughput - have you measured the actual link utilisation to determine what speeds you are hitting with the current setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Use a properly shielded coupler to the same grade of the cable, and you could couple many cables together up to 100m and not have issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0022AKR2C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I've found these to be good quality ...bit pricey though at 3pounds50 a pop

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mockba

This is what you need a a punch down joiner.

Mini5 Cat5e Transition (Joining) Points

minitran.co.uk and search for MT50-C5EB

• Advertisement
Advertisement