Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100mb router "losing" 1gb switch

Options
  • 05-03-2015 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hello

I've bought a simple 1,000b switch [SG108] to connect two PCs together, each has a 1,000b network card

A third port on the switch is connected to my router [HG556A] which has 100b ports

After a couple of hours, the PCs lose sight of the internet and each other, the only fix is to power off and on the switch

Am I doing anything wrong? Is there anything I might do to improve matters?

- B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

First off its a Gigabit switch, so FYI thats 1000Mbps, 1000b would be 1Mbps or sh1t slow. Just FYI.

You need to determine whats causing the loss of service. Run Ipconfig a/all when you lose service, and attempt to ping the Huawei, see if theres any traffic.

Do the status lights on the TP change? you should have two green and one amber.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bishopofn

Hi Ed, thank you for replying

I'll try that ipconfig when I get home

As for the LEDs I remember 2 green and 1 orange, all on but blinking briefly off about once a second

If there is a fault with the switch itself, would you be able to recommend a make/model replacement? I'm reluctant to go with the same one again :-(
    ED E wrote: »
    Run Ipconfig a/all when you lose service, and attempt to ping the Huawei, see if theres any traffic.

Do the status lights on the TP change? you should have two green and one amber.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ive two of the exact same unit, they're rock solid. While it could be the culprit, its not super likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ED E wrote: »
    Ive two of the exact same unit, they're rock solid. While it could be the culprit, its not super likely.

Not impossible though.

When everything thing goes down, ping the second pc's IP address and the routers IP. No pings, switch died. Ping to PC, but not to Router, Router died.

If the switch is dying, you might want to look at environmentals. Is it sitting on top of something hot or in a very enclosed hot area?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bishopofn

Development.

Using the wifi, I tried to log into the Vodafone HG556A this evening using 192.168.1.1

It was timing out even though the rest of the internet was working.

So I swapped it out with our older modem, a BT Voyager 2110.

It's been a couple of hours now with the older modem, and everything is working perfectly.

It looks like the newer modem and the switch simply didn't get on for whatever reason, their neutrons must be of opposite polarity or somesuch.

Ed, Cuddlesworth, thank you for the suggestions!

- B

• Advertisement
Advertisement