Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much should a parent spend on a 21st gift?

Options
  • 19-08-2014 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi, my son turns 21 in a few weeks, he's the eldest of two and all his cousins are much older so i really don't know what's average these days. He fairly much doesn't drink so I'd seriously doubt he'd want a party. I was thinking maybe about €200 for a few clothes but lately I'm hearing of people getting their son or daughter a 5 or 6 grand car on top of a lavish party for their 21st, people in about the same income bracket as ourselves of about €40,000 net pay. I think 5 or 6 grand is a bit much but i don't want to be stingy... any ideas what would be a normal amount?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Clutchkick wrote: »
    Hi, my son turns 21 in a few weeks, he's the eldest of two and all his cousins are much older so i really don't know what's average these days. He fairly much doesn't drink so I'd seriously doubt he'd want a party. I was thinking maybe about €200 for a few clothes but lately I'm hearing of people getting their son or daughter a 5 or 6 grand car on top of a lavish party for their 21st, people in about the same income bracket as ourselves of about €40,000 net pay. I think 5 or 6 grand is a bit much but i don't want to be stingy... any ideas what would be a normal amount?

Never heard of any of my friends getting cars because they turned 21.
    Some of them always had their hands out to parents thou. It is really a personal thing. Do you think he is expecting anything. Have you being supporting him the last few years from college. If he is still living at home, is there a chance he is ready for some more independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Hi, my son turns 21 in a few weeks, he's the eldest of two and all his cousins are much older so i really don't know what's average these days. He fairly much doesn't drink so I'd seriously doubt he'd want a party. I was thinking maybe about €200 for a few clothes but lately I'm hearing of people getting their son or daughter a5 or 6 grand caron top of a lavish party for their 21st, people in about the same income bracket as ourselves of about €40,000 net pay. I think 5 or 6 grand is a bit much but i don't want to be stingy... any ideas what would be a normal amount?

That's actually ludicrous. :confused:

€100 is fine tbh, maybe buy a small present - but that's it. I'm 20 and if my parents bought me a car worth 5-6 grand and paid for a huge party for me, I would be embarrassed and feel very guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

For my 21st I had 3-parties and given numerous gifts, but nothing close to over 2grand was spent.

~ 1st was a surprise party by my friends in college
    ~ 2nd was at home with some relatives
    ~ 3rd was at home again with all my immediate family (some couldn't make the other)

These are personal events. You'd know your son and have you asked him for his thoughts?
    Their is no normal amount, every one would be different.

Just keep it personal, and manageable. Yeah he only turns 21 once, but one would hope that he wouldn't want to put anyone out. Your idea sounds great tbh & practical!

Hope that helps in some way,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I think it's down to what you can afford and what he'd like...whichever is the lesser.

You could be thinking about spending say a thousand euros and he might just want an android tablet that might cost less than 200.

I know for my 21st ( a long time ago granted, I didn't want a party, for my 40th it was the same). Some people just aren't into the centre of attention thing.

Best is to ask him is there anything specific that he'd like to get....

And hope he doesn't say a car!

Advertisement