Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.5" USB powered External Hard-drive

Options
  • 11-07-2014 2:36pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, anyone see any bargains for external hard drives anywhere? Want a small portable one that's powered off the USB port.

Ideally 1TB but will go smaller for the sake of price. Amazon seems to be the cheapest I've seen.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Davy wrote: »

Anything along those lines really, not picky over the brand or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Hiddden

Have you checked Argos? They're on sale till 27h. We got one of these yesterday, and it's good; the second Toshiba that we got, after several Western Digitals that failed too soon to be good!

argos[dot]ie/static/Product/partNumber/1918665.htm

There's even a 2TB for 90 euros.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

MemoryC have a 500Gb Samsung for 55 Euro.
    I've been using one for ages- no issues to report.
    They also have a hardened A-Data in a rubber case (500Gb) for 60

At 70'ish they have Toshiba, Hitachi Tuouro, A-Data, HGST, Samsung etc 1Tb drives.......

They're just down the road in Celbridge- nice to support an Irish business- and no, I don't work for them......

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sketchpad

At 70'ish they have Toshiba, Hitachi Tuouro, A-Data, HGST, Samsung etc 1Tb drives...

€70 is robbery for a 1tb. It's no wonder the country is in state it is with delusional retailers like that.

• Advertisement

sketchpad wrote: »
    €70 is robbery for a 1tb. It's no wonder the country is in state it is with delusional retailers like that.

Delusional? How so? This is for an external USB port powered one- such as the OP suggested he was looking for.

MemoryC- aren't delusional at all- they're actually the largest online retailer in the sector in Europe. They may occasionally be beat by 'special offers' and sale items elsewhere- but as a rule- you'll be hardpressed to beat them. Also- as a local company- if anything should go wrong- which is rare, but does happen- they have excellent customer services. Try returning a 9 month old hard-drive to PC World, Argos or Eurieka- and see the sort of reception you get...........

Instead of blabbing off, about something you obviously are unfamiliar with- how about coming up with some other suggestions for the OP?

Ps- 3.5" form factor external drives- will be considerably cheaper- but

1. They're not host powered
    2. They're end-of-life- this form factor now start at 2Tb- so they're probably old stock.

€70 for a 1tb is on average about €15 above what you should be paying for an external USB powered hdd. The problem with Irish retailers, especially when it comes to tech, is that they consistently price themselves out of the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its more likely that they need a higher margin to survive. They wouldn't have the economy of scale to offer the same price as amazon.

I found memory c pretty good service. Though so are amazon.

beauf wrote: »
    Its more likely that they need a higher margin to survive. They wouldn't have the economy of scale to offer the same price as amazon.

I found memory c pretty good service. Though so are amazon.

Totally agree. They have to make ends meet.
    If OP is looking for a deal, however, he has to buy online.

€70 for a 1tb is on average about €15 above what you should be paying for an external USB powered hdd. The problem with Irish retailers, especially when it comes to tech, is that they consistently price themselves out of the market.

Have a look at Amazon- they are in the £45-£50 range- which equates with 57 to 63 Euro (plus charges). If you factor charges into the equation (I know I get them when I pay with my Irish credit card on Amazon)- the difference vanishes.

I've just checked out a 1Tb Transcend on Amazon versus the same drive on MemoryC

£51.54 on Amazon
    Euro 71.80 on MemoryC

The Amazon price works out at 65.42 Euro using XE (which I assure you is not the rate I get on my credit card). Aka- comparing like with like- you're looking at a difference of 5 or 6 Euro max- not the 15 you're suggesting.

Also- if you are looking at Amazon- bring it to checkout to get the price- Irish VAT only gets tagged on at the very last screen.........

Your ascertain that its 15 Euro average more expensive- does not stack up.

• Advertisement

Your ascertain that its 15 Euro average more expensive- does not stack up.

My bad, €10 more expensive then. Every penny counts :)
    I think we're missing the point that OP is looking for a deal, not full whack Irish pricing.

My bad, €10 more expensive then. Every penny counts :)
    I think we're missing the point that OP is looking for a deal, not full whack Irish pricing.

The OP is looking for a deal.
    MemoryC- are the biggest online retailer of hard-drives in Europe.
    The fact that they are Irish- and based in Celbridge- is almost incidental.
    They are also the alternate seller in a lot of cases on Amazon......

The point I was making- is that they are not a 'full-whack' Irish pricing retailer- and indeed- they'd be in trouble if they were. They are an online retailer- offering good value- who happen to be Irish.

Totally agree. They have to make ends meet.
    If OP is looking for a deal, however, he has to buy online.

Once again- they are the biggest online retailer in Europe........
    They don't have a physical store- they are located in Celbridge- but they sell online through their website- and via affiliate programmes on Amazon and elsewhere.

ok, we get it, you like Memory C. Their prices look good.

I dont think we're helping the OP. I'll keep an eye out for great deals.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Cheapest I can find myself is on komplett for €65 but it's a trick as you have to pay a tenner for delivery!

Think I will go with memoryc as their prices seem pretty much on a par with amazon when delivery costs/exchange rate are applied and any time I've used them before I've always had the items delivered within a couple of days.

€70 seems to be the cheapest for 1Tb as far as I can see anyway, cheers :)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    €70 seems to be the cheapest for 1Tb as far as I can see anyway, cheers :)
    Been keeping an eye out for ya mate!
    http://m.ebuyer.com/412327
    €50 + 3.95 parcel motel

Been keeping an eye out for ya mate!
    http://m.ebuyer.com/412327
    €50 + 3.95 parcel motel

Its a good price for an Intenso (you can actually buy them locally- DID and PC World Stock them- but both charge between 75-80 for them).

Read the reviews though- and go back to the reviews for previous models (esp. the 320Gb one).

Amazon also stock these- a couple of quid more expensive- but if anything goes wrong they might be easier to deal with than mebuyer.com (who I've never come across before).

Advertisement