Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Final: United -v- Chelsea

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

PHB wrote: »

If I could choose right now between the two, I'd pick the league.

Out of interest, I wonder what the players would pick? I reckon the Champions League, considering they won the League last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :o Sad but true

And Rio Ferdinand cost how much? Or Wayne Rooney?

Isn't John Terry just as home grown as Scholes?

Ah yeah I know what you mean. Of course I want United to lose but if they're the better team on the night and deserve to win then I'll be the first one to say as much and won't lose any sleep over it.

Yeah nice one. No point getting a ulcer over it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Het-Field wrote: »
    As far as I am concerned Manchester United are the only true English team left in the competition. Chelsea have bough their success thus far. Look at Manutd. Who scored the goal that got them to the final ? Paul Scholes. I remember when Scholesy was a wee lad scoring two goals against Port Vale in a League Cup tie in 1994, before almost chipping Busquets

Lampard and Drogba cost 34Million between the two

I assume you mean that Utd got to the level they are over the years through hard work and well run club generally, youth system etc (though not recently).

Whereas Chelsea have paid money to get to where Utd and Liverpool are, we've spent money to sustain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Likewise it doesn't really bother me, I'd just like to see Chelsea win it before our biggest rivals. No disgrace in that is there?

Doesnt the term rival mean someone your in competition with??? sorry now, but your actual rivals are Portsmouth, Villa, Everton, West Ham and all the other teams that dont have a hope of playing champions league football this season!! :)

We are on a level above you, therefore not a rivel, a hated adversary maybe, but rivals... nah

Another good performance by the Chelski tonight, starting to get bad feelings about a Chelsea double here lads....The only hope i can take to stop this siberian express is that they have got to be feeling the strain and fatigue at this stage, two really tough games spent running non stop in such a short time, surely they will be tired and slip up hopefully in the league, the way Ballack is playing at the moment is making me feel worse about never getting to see him in a united shirt, what a player. he is on a mission and will be hard to stop by the looks of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kryogen wrote: »
    Doesnt the term rival mean someone your in competition with??? sorry now, but your actual rivals are Portsmouth, Villa, Everton, West Ham and all the other teams that dont have a hope of playing champions league football this season!! :)

We are on a level above you, therefore not a rivel, a hated adversary maybe, but rivals... nah

So your only rivals are Arsenal and Chelsea? We must be in the same category as Liverpool so seeing as they don't challenge you for the league either. I can live with that and taking six points from our 'adversary'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

United fan, not so sure how it'll turn out. As PHB said, we've a league to win first, and I'd prefer to win that than the CL.

Match has the potential to be a cracker, but as happenes sometimes, both teams cancel each other out and the match becomes boring. I think we can win it, though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I really think Chelsea can win, i dont think they will suffer from Fatigue as looking at satats, only 2 Chelsea players have played over 25 games this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Still a lot of time till final,Chelsea deserved to won last night while Liverpool was awfull,i still hope United will win this final although Chelski will play at home so i am a bit suspicious of some set up's there.....

PHB wrote: »
    I'd be wary about reading too much into the game at the Bridge, considering that it was at home, and United rested some key players (Scholes, Evra, Ronaldo, Tevez) and got injuries to Vidic early on and Rooney near half time and Anderson not long after.

I think the game will be finely balanced, but it's ages away, and there's a league to win first.

If I could choose right now between the two, I'd pick the league.

Corrected for ya there!! :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Right people were saying here that it would all depend on who wins the league!

United won it....they'll be on a high now,Chelsea might have been ok if they had won,but that draw might get them a bit!

Anyone notice the way Ferguson was sayin how if they'd lost they'd find it hard,but since they won how there bouncing into it!

Chelsea are going to have to lift themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

chelsea will win the CL now imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I reckon Chelsea will be that little bit hungrier for this one. Might edge it in their favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Galvasean wrote: »
    I reckon Chelsea will be that little bit hungrier for this one. Might edge it in their favour.

Not a hope. We've the taste of success now we'll want more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Chelsea will be really deflated by the league situation actually. I thought Ferguson made a great point about United playing Everton in the FA Cup final the week after Blackburn won it and how they were practically dead.

I feel United now have the psychological edge and that Chelsea could crack. Just how together are Chelsea really?

Terry playing or not could have a big affect on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I thought Ferguson made a great point about United playing Everton in the FA Cup final the week after Blackburn won it and how they were practically dead.

Ferguson will be coming out with alot more of this kind of stuff you can be sure. Just mind games.

Chelsea have shown themselves to be a team of strong characters so they're as likely to use the league defeat as motivation as they are to be deflated. The champions league is the one they really wanted anyway, the one they haven't yet won. I'd see the game as 50-50, I don't think you could call it any other way. No surprise at all if this goes right down to penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I have a feeling Roman Abramovic will want to have a word with the Chelsea team before this match, with it being in Moscow and all, and you can bet your house that he will be the one picking the team.

Archimedes wrote: »
    I have a feeling Roman Abramovic will want to have a word with the Chelsea team before this match, with it being in Moscow and all, and you can bet your house that he will be the one picking the team.
    Did you see him after the match yesterday,looked like a very forced applause and smile for the cameras!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Chelsea 3-1 Man Utd

Essien 21 min Vidic 33min
    Ballack 61 min
    Risse 90 min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

chdpoker wrote: »
    Chelsea 3-1 Man Utd

Essien 21 min Bennett 33min
    Ballack 61 min
    Lampard 90 min

FYP, controversial in the current climate lol:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Archimedes wrote: »
    and you can bet your house that he will be the one picking the team.

so its gonna be man uts vs shevchenko....i think we could win that!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

kmart6 wrote: »
    Did you see him after the match yesterday,looked like a very forced applause and smile for the cameras!

Yeah because he would have been in great form wouldn't he seeing his team miss out on the league. I'm sure if you saw my face yesterday any smile would have been seriously forced as well...

Well no sh1t there,but why was he even bothering to do that?! Coulda just showed his real emotions by looking disappointed,ya know?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

When Shev scored i had nightmares of wigan equalising, and then Him scoring a hat trick or sometin in Moscow, becoming the greatest signing ever and an all time great wit Chelsea fans

Drogba confirmed fit for it now,so both teams with fully fit squads afaik!

Terry playing or not could have a big affect on it!

if anyone can make it back from an injury its john terry, the man is a beast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

if anyone can make it back from an injury its john terry, the man is a beast!!

hate to say it but totally agree, that time when he got kicked in the face in the carling cup final and was in the dressing room celebrating proved he is either crazy or indestrucible

BazBox wrote: »
    hate to say it but totally agree, that time when he got kicked in the face in the carling cup final and was in the dressing room celebrating proved he is either crazy or indestrucible

....a little from column A and a little from column B!! :D

Him and Vidic have to be two of the hardest cnuts in the league when it comes to just getting up and getting on with it!

Chelsea wants revenge,United wants more after league,i think they have again same wish,same motivation,i am still afraid of that playing in Moscow....Roman can make everything to celebrate CL title in his own country....

• Advertisement

Looks like the pitch is in sh1t order according to reports on SSN! Exactly what you don't want for a final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Him and Vidic have to be two of the hardest cnuts in the league when it comes to just getting up and getting on with it!

I don't think either of them are particularly hard, but I suppose compared to a lot of modern day professional footballers they probably do seem like hard nuts.
    I'm not a huge Rugby fan but when you see some of the knocks those mad lunatics take without batting an eyelid it's just unreal when compared to football.

Anyway, back on topic. Very hard match to call. Obviously I'd love to see Utd. win but it really could go either way.

Utd. to win by 1 due to a howler by Cech.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I don't think either of them are particularly hard, but I suppose compared to a lot of modern day professional footballers they probably do seem like hard nuts.
    I'm not a huge Rugby fan but when you see some of the knocks those mad lunatics take without batting an eyelid it's just unreal when compared to football.

Your crossing sports to find tougher people,of course Rugby players take more knocks it's a full on contact sport,a shoulder to shoulder tckle gets a free in football! Vidic put's is head in where a lot of others wouldn't put their feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Over the last couple of seasons United have tried to 'Out-Chelsea' Chelsea by trying to stop Chelsea playing instead of making Chelsea worry about them. I think Ferguson purposely put out a weakened team against Chelsea a few weeks back and tried to hold Chelsea to a draw. Ferguson has to go about it differently on Wednesday and If they play to their strengths they will beat Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Chelsea have a lot more in the midfield and defence than United. United are better up front.
    Unless Manu sort out something in the middle, I would expect them to lose.
    Carrick is a serious weak link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Your ref for Wednesday night is.............................

http://www.worldreferee.com/site/copy.php?linkID=41&linkType=referee&contextType=bio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Jeeze.
    Thats the Idiot that did the Celtic Porto UEFA Final.
    Totally useless. Has no control of matches.
    Ronaldo can dive all night long with this guy in charge !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Your crossing sports to find tougher people,
    Yes I know I was, but my comments still stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Pal wrote: »
    Jeeze.

Only picking on Ronaldo? Has Drogba given up diving then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Jeeze.
    I started a thread a couple of weeks ago about referees

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055286370

This came up

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/iffhs-ref.html

IFFHS' World's Best Referee of the Year 2006

Top 10

1. Horacio Marcelo Elizondo 159 pts Argentina
    2. Lubos Michel 69 " Slovakia
    3. Markus Merk 60 " Germany
    4. Benito A. Archundia Tellez 42 " Mexico
    5. Luis Medina Cantalejo 26 " Spain
    6. Jorge Larriondo Pietrafesa 24 " Uruguay
    7. Roberto Rosetti 19 " Italy
    8. Frank De Bleeckere 18 " Belgium
    9. Herbert Fandel 17 " Germany
    10. Massimo Busacca 16 " Switzerland

The game you are talking about was five years ago or more.

Would you like a judgement passed on a particular job you did that long ago, if you were still in that job today?

He's better than he was back then, for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

http://www.worldreferee.com/site/copy.php?linkID=41&linkType=referee&contextType=bio

Only a matter of time before someone digs up some past history of him that is 100% proof he'll be biased towards United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

He was my pick in DesF's thread. \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Chelsea have a lot more in the midfield and defence than United. United are better up front.
    Unless Manu sort out something in the middle, I would expect them to lose.
    Carrick is a serious weak link.

United's defence have been much better than Chelseas this season. Between CL and EPL 27 goals against United and 33 against Chelsea. Vidic and Ferdinand on Team of the year.

He better not try and make up for that Garcia goal a few years back!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

sure that was clearly a goal:D

• Advertisement

Shur it hit the back of the net:rolleyes:

I will write it here again for those who not visiting United thread
    Just reading latest interview with Drogba where he says theres no way he leave Chelsea coz he and his family feel great in London and etc. and press is saying this is totally different than what he was saying all season,that he wants to leave
    It seems Roman's guys was giving him lesson:D

Have to laugh at the way Wes has only been asked one individual question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So nobody listens to what the ref said after the game.

If the Linesman did not say it was a goal he was going to award a pen and send Cech off, but i guess that does not count for all those Liverpool haters.

Tell me how I'm a Liverpool hater?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement