Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Final: United -v- Chelsea

• 30-04-2008 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

So who do you think has it?!?!?

Who's going to win?! 154 votes

United
    0% 0 votes
    Chelsea
    22% 34 votes
    United(united fans)
    18% 29 votes
    Chelsea(chelsea fans)
    45% 70 votes
    United(liverpool fans)
    6% 10 votes
    Chelsea(liverpool fans)
    7% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Too early to say :) Depends on the league results imo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

the 2 worst teams over 2 nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

mayordenis wrote: »

SPECSAVERS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Shocking claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

PHB wrote: »
    Kinda have to agree with that! Could be interesting depending on the way the league ends!

• Advertisement

Totally disagree.Taking off Torres.Liverpool were asking for it.

I think Man Utd if they get Rooney and Vidic back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,287 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

3 weeks to the final!!

Defeat is a BITTER pill to swallow.

Gonna be a tough one and probably close, nothing in it, and possibly a sh1te game. I dont care as long as we win it.

50 years on, I Believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can both teams spontaneously explode in the tunnel?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I think Abramovich will finally get his hands on the CL trophy in Moscow,

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Depends more on injuries I think. The league doesn't necessarily have that much baring - see last season's FA cup for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Two weeks ago I would have said United easily, but they seem to be playing worse and worse while Chelsea are getting better.

I reckon Chelsea will win it.

Grant for Manager of the Year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I'm sick of these FÚCKING polls with options for all the different fans.
    Fairly thick carry-on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Man United to win it 2-1. Rooney to be the main man for United. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Way too early for this thread. Many things will happen before now and the Champions League final.

Should who's going to win the league not be discussed first?:confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

lol, why are there Liverpool fan options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Fairly thick carry-on.

Someone's in a mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Chelsea to win the double. They are in much better form ATM and have been the better side since Grant lost his first game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Chelsea - have the momentum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Fairly thick carry-on.

I would rather see just 2 options myself

• Advertisement

Jesus all it does is show who's really voting! Good to see the United/Chelsea fans who vote and then the neuturals! Only put in the Liverpool option to see who they want/think will win!
    Way too early for this thread. Many things will happen before now and the Champions League final

And all those things can be talked about here instead of a hundred threads bout pointless stuff like someone hurting their toe.....extreme example,but just saying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Dun laoire wrote: »
    I would rather see just 2 options myself
    i.e the right way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Why the options for Liverpool fans? And not even an option for United fans who think Chelsea will win etc. Pretty lame thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

haha delighted you are p*ssed off :*)

This is a really tough match to call. Chelsea have had the better of Man Utd in previous years but I reckon if we have a full strenght side, and with the boost of winning the league will make sure of the double.

oobydooby wrote: »
    Why the options for Liverpool fans? And not even an option for United fans who think Chelsea will win etc. Pretty lame thread.
    Read the earlier posts and you'd know!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

As long as it's not a repeat of last years FA cup final (and Utd win), then I'll be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

Shamrok wrote: »
    I think Abramovich will finally get his hands on the CL trophy in Moscow,

Ye lads here goes wild conspiracy theory of the night as told by my teacher:
    Ambramovich buys the hotel united are staying in, giving the maids a week off. In their place, he buys the best hookers in russia to take care of the united players, and 4 hours before the game, sends Miss Moscow to Ronaldos room. Ronaldo and co. enter the match shagged, literally!!!

Lets hope hes wrong:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Invincible

rockman wrote: »
    specsavers

+1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

brain says united, gut says chelsea

• Advertisement

So who's left as a neutral? Arsenal fans? City fans? Spurs fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im a neutral (villa fan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Great to see that no players will miss the final through yellow card suspensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Chelsea have won my support for the final to be honest. And it's not because Man Utd beat Barca, I can't explain, but for some reason, I've just warmed a little to them. I absolutely hated Lampard for so long, and today after all that has happened, he played excellently again(despite everything), setting up drogba in the first half when he tapped it wide. His pass to Kalou for the goal was a peach too. But when I saw him crying on the ground in celebration of his penalty, I was actually close to tears myself, I felt genuinely sad.

Also, in the post match interview, Avram talked about why he fell to the floor in celebration at the end of the game. It was because its holocaust day back in Israel and he was remember all of the people on his fathers side of the family who were murdered. He has been treated unfairly in my opinion, he has received anit-semitic death threats, his wife has been threatened and white powder was sent to him. Its seriously ridiculous, I feel sorry for the guy to be honest, he doesn't deserve this treatment.

I honestly will be behind Chelsea FC 100% for this final, it would be a great achievement despite the constant criticism this whole season. I hope that Ballack and Essien can also continue their performances, they've been fantastic lately. Plus, I'd like to see Ten Cates notching up another CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

eZe^ wrote: »
    Chelsea have won my support for the final to be honest. And it's not because Man Utd beat Barca, I can't explain, but for some reason, I've just warmed a little to them. I absolutely hated Lampard for so long, and today after all that has happened, he played excellently again(despite everything), setting up drogba in the first half when he tapped it wide. His pass to Kalou for the goal was a peach too. But when I saw him crying on the ground in celebration of his penalty, I was actually close to tears myself, I felt genuinely sad.

Also, in the post match interview, Avram talked about why he fell to the floor in celebration at the end of the game. It was because its holocaust day back in Israel and he was remember all of the people on his fathers side of the family who were murdered. He has been treated unfairly in my opinion, he has received anit-semitic death threats, his wife has been threatened and white powder was sent to him. Its seriously ridiculous, I feel sorry for the guy to be honest, he doesn't deserve this treatment.

I honestly will be behind Chelsea FC 100% for this final, it would be a great achievement despite the constant criticism this whole season. I hope that Ballack and Essien can also continue their performances, they've been fantastic lately. Plus, I'd like to see Ten Cates notching up another CL.

Yeah nice post.

I think over the past week we have been reminded yet again of the wonderful determination and never say die attitude of the Chelsea squad - something that was instilled by Mourinhio and has remained this season despite all the barbs aimed at Grant and his squad. As a Liverpool fan, I'll find it easy to root for them during the final.

AND YES - ENOUGH OF THESE ****ING POLLS!! WHO EVEN PAYS ATTENTION TO THEM ANYWAY??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Arsenal fan, I really do not know who to support in the final, was cheering on Chelsea tonight but for the final, I really don't know, possibly United.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

eze thats a quality post. as a chelsea man all I can say to sum that up is thanks.

G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,581 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Strange the 2 teams that reach the final played their midfield hardman at right back.

I don't think anyone can call the final, the sentiments, romance, etc are nice, but it will come down to who wants it more on the night and who has the bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

As a Utd fan, i'm delighted we're playing Chelsea and not Liverpool.

Liverpool up their game on european nights and would probably spend the next 3 weeks preparing for it by resting their entire starting 11.

Chelsea are in the same position as Utd, they must win all their remaining matches and therefore have to play full strength sides and really go for it.

Provided Utd's back 4 remain injury free (Evra, Vidic, Rio & Brown), i think Utd will have the steel to do it. The defeat at the bridge and all the shenanigans afterwards left a bitter taste in Utd mouths and i can see this one boiling over.

I agree Chelsea are a nicer team to stomach under Grant and there's no circus around them - they grind out results without anyone really noticing.

I'd be wary about reading too much into the game at the Bridge, considering that it was at home, and United rested some key players (Scholes, Evra, Rooney) and got injuries to Vidic early on.

I think the game will be finely balanced, but it's ages away, and there's a league to win first.

If I could choose right now between the two, I'd pick the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So who's left as a neutral? Arsenal fans? City fans? Spurs fans?

Well being a City fan does that make me a neutral even though I'm firmly behind Chelsea for the game?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well being a City fan does that make me a neutral even though I'm firmly behind Chelsea for the game?

No I think he's referring to the regular fans and not bitter fans of lesser clubs.

Predhead wrote: »
    No I think he's referring to the regular fans and not bitter fans of lesser clubs.

Meeeeow put those claws away.

So if it was a City/Chelsea final you'd be supporting City? Nice one!

Oh and please refer to us by our proper title - 'lesser club who beat United twice this season'.

I don't mean to be harsh but I just can't stand people who focus more on wishing a team to lose rather than supporting their own and when they're not playing just to enjoy whatever game. Swallow your egos and enjoy football. It's easier than wishing successful teams to always lose. And it you can't enjoy it being bitter. That's my two cents! :pac:

P.S. Utd fan, wouldn't have liked 'Pool to win it but wouldn't care too much if they did (not against us though!).

Meeeeow put those claws away.

So if it was a City/Chelsea final you'd be supporting City? Nice one!

Oh and please refer to us by our proper title - 'lesser club who beat United twice this season'.

I honestly wouldn't care, I'd prefer them not too maybe, but it woudln't bother me.

Likewise it doesn't really bother me, I'd just like to see Chelsea win it before our biggest rivals. No disgrace in that is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Oh and please refer to us by our proper title - 'lesser club who beat United twice this season with a manager who will soon be sacked regardless'.

Fixed that for ya :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

As far as I am concerned Manchester United are the only true English team left in the competition. Chelsea have bough their success thus far. Look at Manutd. Who scored the goal that got them to the final ? Paul Scholes. I remember when Scholesy was a wee lad scoring two goals against Port Vale in a League Cup tie in 1994, before almost chipping Busquets

Lampard and Drogba cost 34Million between the two

Likewise it doesn't really bother me, I'd just like to see Chelsea win it before our biggest rivals. No disgrace in that is there?

Not at all, it's just when people practically spit venom at other fans/clubs and it would ruin they're year if a team they didn't like won.

Originally Posted by Xavi6 viewpost.gif
    Oh and please refer to us by our proper title - 'lesser club who beat United twice this season with a manager who will soon be sacked regardless'.

Well done, a few more of those and you's will be nearly on a par with West Ham! :p

:o Sad but true
    Het-Field wrote: »
    As far as I am concerned Manchester United are the only true English team left in the competition. Chelsea have bough their success thus far. Look at Manutd. Who scored the goal that got them to the final ? Paul Scholes. I remember when Scholesy was a wee lad scoring two goals against Port Vale in a League Cup tie in 1994, before almost chipping Busquets

Lampard and Drogba cost 34Million between the two

And Rio Ferdinand cost how much? Or Wayne Rooney?

Isn't John Terry just as home grown as Scholes?
    Predhead wrote: »
    Not at all, it's just when people practically spit venom at other fans/clubs and it would ruin they're year if a team they didn't like won.

Ah yeah I know what you mean. Of course I want United to lose but if they're the better team on the night and deserve to win then I'll be the first one to say as much and won't lose any sleep over it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement