Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I agree - seemed amateurish

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Would go with minimalistic mself. Not sure about making the players watch replays at the interviews, Gerrard looked plain uncomfortable there.

Yea that was a bit strange alright,but it will be good when a manager says he did not see an incident and they go ok hold on a sec we will show you...:) I would love to see Alex F backed into a corner like that.

Dub13 wrote:
    Yea that was a bit strange alright,but it will be good when a manager says he did not see an incident and they go ok hold on a sec we will show you...:) I would love to see Alex F backed into a corner like that.
    they couldn't risk embarrassing a manager like that - that would put an end to them getting interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

The bit they showed at the end of the match of Reina going mental when Gerrard scored was deadly, i was doing the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Tolouse beat Lyon 1-0 today.... just sayin ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

evad_lhorg wrote:

Does that make up for them loosing 3-1 last weekend so ?

Big deal if they won a game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

evad_lhorg wrote:

should be of some comfort to them when they get thumped on wednesday so.. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Been away last week, Not sure what transfers have happened

Carson to Villa for 2m LOAN with a young keeper coming in ?

Any more details on movers and shakers?

Good win yesterday, I thought the Gerrard free was for instruction on first viewing, but the MOTD pundits were harping on about it not being a free.

I've a feeling I'll be avoiding MOTD with the Lineker, Hanson and Shearer being 3 of the most boring people on the planet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

zabbo wrote:
    I thought the Gerrard free was for instruction on first viewing, but the MOTD pundits were harping on about it not being a free.
    I assume you meant obstruction there :) It wasn't a free kick. I thought it was very soft when I saw it first and watching the highlights just confirmed that. Gerrard tried to take the ball around Petrov who managed to get his toe to the ball to nick it away. Gerrard then pushed into Petrov and turned around and shouted at the referee. Having said that, it was a magnificent freekick. Goal of the month already maybe?
    On a personal note, I was watching this game in Ennis surrounded, typically by mouthy Man Utd fans who magically became Villa fans when the equaliser went in :rolleyes: Happily they soon quieted down when the winner went in :)
    Goals here

Hanson is starting to look very old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

when i first saw it i thaught it was defo a free kickbut after seeing replays from various angles it showspetrov got a slight touch on the ball meaning it was no foul but refs dont have the luxury of these replays so people an hardly complain about what was a difficult decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Pretty happy with that performance. Better than most of our away performances last season. Torres looked class in flashes. Riise is useless, doubly so as a winger. Pennant was poor, as was Finnan I thought, but overall i'm happy

Reina 7
    Finnan 6
    Carragher 7
    Agger 7
    Arbeloa 7
    Pennant 6
    Riise 5
    Alonso 7
    Gerrard 8
    Kuyt 7
    Torres 7

Babel 7
    Voronin 6
    Sissoko 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

malice_ wrote:

Nice one malice :D Was checking Youtube but nothing up just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Heinze today had a go at Man Utd, for not letting the deal go through, I think in the end we will get our man.
    Great to see the topic back up. Great Goal by Stevie, if it was too hard to judge the free, then so was the penalty. Most Sunday papers aren't giving Torres an inch, I thought he played well link up play with Kuyt. Babel was very exciting when he came on. Perhaps him on the left with Riise into Arbeloa's position, Arbeloa was shaky first half, but had a better second.
    Finnan also looked shaky, but I thought Ashley Young was Villa's man of the match.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Liverpool are ready to fork out £5m for Real Mallorca's Argentina midfielder Jonas Gutierrez.

Thats according to one of the papers this morning!!
    Must have a look see who he is!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,297 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jonny24ie wrote:
    Liverpool are ready to fork out £5m for Real Mallorca's Argentina midfielder Jonas Gutierrez.

Thats according to one of the papers this morning!!
    Must have a look see who he is!!
    i'm gonna guess that he is a defensive midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tauren wrote:
    i'm gonna guess that he is a defensive midfielder.

That was my biggest fear when i threw his name into Google, but all the results are winger/striker so thats ok!

<Edit> And apparantly he's known as Spiderman!
    Edit again> The differences in reports are ridiculous, one calls him 27, while another one says he was born in 1983 making him 24..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The best place as always to check out real stats is FM :P

Jonas Gutierrez born 05.07.1983
    Argentianian with an Italian passport
    Attacking Midfielder Left and Right side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Ty Phb, will be using that from now on, never even thought about it TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hang on we need a CB, not another pacey winger!

Mike.

cool, sounds good. so the wingers we'd have would be Pennant, Benayoun, Babel, Kewell, Leto and this guy! Along with Riise at times too (though by yesterdays performance i hope not..). If this guy is good enough to be a starter then great, but if he's another backup its kind of pointless. Fingers crossed he's the former.

edit> CB does definately have to be the priority at the moment, the only area we dont even have competition for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

still feel we could do with another striker, torres looked good but kuyt isnt gonna get many goals a season, he comes to deep (even though he made the first goal) and never seems to get a shot away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Good to see United dropping a couple of points today. Having said that, watching them they seemed a class act, a step above us anyway.

well Kuyt got 12 last year in the prem playing the same way, with lesser strikers beside him, and in a less creative team so i wouldn't go writing him off yet by any means. I think Kuyt will score more then he did last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm just surprised to see how easily Torres adapted to the PL. He could take everything the defenders threw at him and didn't go down looking for free kicks. He just has to start scoring and he'll be an Anfield Legend.

• Advertisement

I'm just surprised to see how easily Torres adapted to the PL. He could take everything the defenders threw at him and didn't go down looking for free kicks. He just has to start scoring and he'll be an Anfield Legend.

doesnt take much to become an anfield legend does it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

el rabitos wrote:
    In time, he will become an Anfield Legend. Better?

el rabitos wrote:
    It worked for Gary McAllister :) All he had to do was knock in a few goals and we all loved him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Great to get the win in early. It was disappointing not to make it 2-0 when we had a lot of chances, but great to get that bit of luck to get the free and boy did Stevie take advantage. Its going to take a while before the new lads bed in and in the meantime we need to win whether we play good or bad. Remember last year, the first couple of months the mancs were pants, but still managed to get jammy win after jammy win. Hopefully this is a sign that we can match that.

In time, he will become an Anfield Legend. Better?

i'll hold my breath on that one. since 1990 theres been very few players i'd give the "legend" label to. and only 1 of them was born outside of liverpool....
    malice_ wrote:
    It worked for Gary McAllister :) All he had to do was knock in a few goals and we all loved him.

...and he'd be that player. his contribution during his short stay was huge imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

el rabitos wrote:
    i'll hold my breath on that one. since 1990 theres been very few players i'd give the "legend" label to. and only 1 of them was born outside of liverpool....

Owen ??? A goal every other game for liverpool, better strike rate than fowler ? I would count him as a legend and since the 90's and from outside liverpool.

But to each his own I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

el rabitos wrote:

Has to be big Igor... Has to be...
    el rabitos wrote:

Dang:D

Stky10 wrote:
    Has to be big Igor... Has to be...

nah, veggard heggem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

In fairness to Igor, His Champions League performances in 2005 were top class.

Sami Hyypia is a Liverpool legend as well in my opinion. Let's not forget just how awful we were at defending set pieces and crosses before he arrived. I believe Roy Evans is quoted as saying that if we could have had Sami a few years earlier he could have made all the difference in a title challenge. Just like Gary Mac I suppose :)
    Sami forged a rock-solid partnership not once but twice with both Henchoz and Carragher, he's weighed in with goals at vital times (Juventus in the 2005 Champions League quarter final for example) as well as God knows how many clearing headers and tackles. I'm also pretty sure he's rarely been booked or sent off. apart from that awful game in Old Trafford where we got spanked 4:0 after conceding a penalty. I think he was easily Houllier's best transfer given the paltry £2.6 million fee.

Shamrok wrote:
    Sorry, change that! Setanta have the first leg and ITV the second leg.
    Was just looking up the EPG for Setanta Sports 1 on Wednesday to Sky Plus the Liverpool game, and its not showing up. Its Himalyan Snowboarding at 3pm :eek:

The Celtic game does show up on Setanta Sports 2 at 4.30pm and the Arsenal game shows up on Setanta Sports 1 at 7pm.

Should we be getting worried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

jonny24ie wrote:

I bet we'd have gotten him for a lot less 4 years ago

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2003/apr/22/N139948030422-1432.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

True, during Houllier's time when he was at his peak, Hyypia was an absolute beast of a player. Strong as a horse, nothing got by him.

Incidentally, talking about legends, the official website did a "100 players that shook the kop" feature about a year ago, and all 100 videos are on youtube. Any fan with a couple of days to spare could do a lot worse than watch all 100 and catch up on legends of the past and present.

Here's No. 100 John Wark to start you off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_xJePvVDG8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Was just looking up the EPG for Setanta Sports 1 on Wednesday to Sky Plus the Liverpool game, and its not showing up. Its Himalyan Snowboarding at 3pm :eek:

The Celtic game does show up on Setanta Sports 2 at 4.30pm and the Arsenal game shows up on Setanta Sports 1 at 7pm.

Should we be getting worried?
    No. They have those matches alright according to the schedules on their site but the Sky EPG probably won't be updated til Monday. These Champions League Qualifiers always seem to result in last minute wheeling and dealing with the TV companies.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

mike65 wrote:
    Hang on we need a CB, not another pacey winger!

Mike.
    I never thought I would see this sentence written about Liverpool. It is what we have been lacking for too many years.

• Advertisement

If any of you want to go over to the Derby game for a great price check out This thread

Looking forward to the Chelski game big time now.

Babel immediately looked better than Pennant when he came on. Riise wasn't all that effective on the left. Pennant needs a big season or else I reckon he will be gone come the summer (or maybe January).

I agree about Pennant last season he played well in patches very well in some games,but if he is to remain at a big club such as Liverpool he will have to be a constant performer.

Riise's days at Liverpool are definitely numbered. And rightly so IMO. The odd screamer does not make up for the amount of ball he wastes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

agree 100% Rooster

Don't agree on Riise. He didn't have a great game, but he's a good left back, and at times can be good on the left, moreso when there's more space available, it was very tight at Villa.

He's a great player to have around.

A guy who can't defend can never be a great left back. He's only ok to have at left back when we're playing one of the crap teams at home. And I think Rafa has realised that.

(Toulouse v Liverpool now appearing on the EPG on Set Sports 1 on Wed at 3pm (KO3.30))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

so if i dont have the new setanta package i cant watch the game? sigh! are there repeats on anywhere?

riise is not good enough to be a first choice left back in a title winning team, but he's ok at left back, and he's not good enough to be a left winger in a title winning team, but he's ok on the left wing...

...meaning he has no business being anything other than a utility player tbh

i like him, he seems to love playing for pool and he does score some top goals, but he's just not at the level he needs to be. if heinze comes in and one of the other wingers stakes a claim to the left wing, riise could find himself finding an ass groove on the bench this year methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Riise's a great LB imo. All those clean sheets aren't just down to Carra et al. Riise played his part in that as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement