Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea 2.0

• 22-05-2008 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Tonight, marked the end of abramovic's first attempt at making his wonder team. Regardless of the result it was earmarked to be the last experience shared by the current cycle of players. His initial naivety in believing that a quick injection of cash would bring instant attractive success waned into a series of lessons learned through the Mourinho era and brought to an end by Avram Grant.
    Abramovic now after facing the dilemna of re-structuring his team or clicking the reset button and starting again has decided on the latter. Perhaps the player unrest, lack of respect of the manager as well as the growing number of transfer requests made that decision all the easier.

The allure of mourinho still treads the corridors of sw3 and it is no surprise that almost the core of his self-made team have been linked with a move away from the club this summer. Players such as Carvalho and Drogba have made their intentions quiet public and have further hinted of the possible exodus of Mourinhos key allies such as Lampard, Essien, and J.Cole. Fans would not be surprised either by the departures of less exciting players either such as Malouda, SWPhilips, Sidwell, Ferreira, Bridge, Belletti and Schevchenko. Makelele too is approaching the end of his career and wont be in Abramovices plans.

Abramovices second attempt at Chelsea or Chelsea2.0 certainly offers many challenges, Foremost is who will he hire as manager and what power will the manager be given. Will he expect the new manager to accept that he, as well as Kenyon, Arneson etc all should have a say,
    or will he bank on a proven talent and equip him with the funds and support to make a name for himself. Names linked so far include Mancini, Rijkard, and Sven the man who would have been in charge three four years ago, were it not for a benny McCarthy goal against Man United.

The players brought in will too say a lot about his strategy, will he enjoy the freedom to go down the Galactico route which he enjoyed with some success in the arrival of the Ballack and Schevchenko duo. Rumours have been spread about the clubs intentions to acquire amourous signings such as Robinho, Messi, and Kaka. This however to some extent is not consistent with the signing of the hard working Mourinho-esque boswinga to fill the gap in right-back ahead of more adventurous attacking threats such as Dani Alves.

This Summer will not be quiet at the bridge, but the path set out by Abramovic is not yet clear, what do you think will happen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I guess Chelsea are now officiially the British Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I wish Ambramovich would realise it ain't gonna work, fúck off back where he came from, and leave Chelsea to fend for themselves again... if only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

will he bank on a proven talent and equip him with the funds and support to make a name for himself?

This is top of my wishlist as a Chelsea fan, regardless of what players come in during the summer Id love to see what can happen if a good manager is given total control of his squad, very unlikely in todays premiership though:(

I wish Ambramovich would realise it ain't gonna work

LOL! Did they not dominate england in Jose's first 2 seasons in charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Conspiracy theory Abramovic to admit he was wrong and re-instate Mourinho?

your right I should just head to sleep,

I blame the goofballs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

topnutz wrote: »

I'm not saying it didn't work, I'm just hoping Ambramovich comes to that conclusion.

I'm not saying it didn't work, I'm just hoping Ambramovich comes to that conclusion.

And Im hoping that he brings Jose back:rolleyes:, we can all be optimistic I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

topnutz wrote: »

And did they not just lose the Champions League final by a splash of mud and a coat of paint?

There will be changes at Chelsea this summer, but nothing can happen until he gets in a new manager - which I assume he'll do. I do think they could have real trouble replacing Drogba, and considering the only world class attacking players that look likely to still be at Chelsea next season (Ballack, Lampard and Essien) all play the same position they will probably need a Drogba-esque player. Not too many of them around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Its not certain he will have another go.

And did they not just lose the Champions League final by a splash of mud and a coat of paint?*

There will be changes at Chelsea this summer, but nothing can happen until he gets in a new manager - which I assume he'll do. I do think they could have real trouble replacing Drogba, and considering the only world class attacking players that look likely to still be at Chelsea next season (Ballack, Lampard and Essien) all play the same position they will probably need a Drogba-esque player. Not too many of them around.

*Ill assume you are reinforcing my point here, I wasnt putting Grant down(for a change), just stating that RA's dream is very possible.

Your right about the players too, it will be hard to replace them, but maybe we dont need another lone striker. There are other ways to go, attacking wise, if we take the same approach using a Drogba replacement it would certainly be a step in the wrong direction. As a targetman he wont/cant be replaced. A manager like Rijkaard for example would definitely bring a different style of play, the problem is attracting the players to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I think this is the end of an era for the current Chelsea team. I can envisage Grant, Lampard, Malouda, Drogba, and many others wanting to leave. I think Mourinho is going to take up the manager's role at Inter, and that will entice Lampard to go there.

...but - yeh - this is the end of an era for that team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

*Ill assume you are reinforcing my point here

Yeah i was, despite my incoherence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

money cant always buy success, look at marseille...

on the grand scheme of things chelsea have little history compared to other teams like the original 'big five'.

united
    arsenal
    everton
    liverpool
    spurs

its only in recent time that chelsea have become a big team. the big four is a result of the murdoch dominant sky era... where money is where its at.

i cant believe man united are in debt to the tune of 700million....:confused:
    guess all them 100k weekly wages really add up.

as for what will happen chelsea now, noone knows. its almost certain lamps will leave as will drogs and grant. possibly cech too...!

Kevster wrote: »
    I think this is the end of an era for the current Chelsea team. I can envisage Grant, Lampard, Malouda, Drogba, and many others wanting to leave. I think Mourinho is going to take up the manager's role at Inter, and that will entice Lampard to go there.

...but - yeh - this is the end of an era for that team.

Wow did you read my first post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

No, I didn't because it's too long and should have been broken-down into paragraphs. I have problems interpreting large chunks of information like that.

Apologies.

TAke care,
    Kevin

money cant always buy success,

I cant believe this old chestnut is still doing the rounds, would it be true if John Terry hadnt hit the post? No, money would have indeed bought success, not to mention it being the first trophyless season at Chelsea for a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Tonight, marked the end of abramovic's first attempt at making his wonder team. Regardless of the result it was earmarked to be the last experience shared by the current cycle of players. His initial naivety in believing that a quick injection of cash would bring instant attractive success waned into a series of lessons learned through the Mourinho era and brought to an end by Avram Grant.
    Abramovic now after facing the dilemna of re-structuring his team or clicking the reset button and starting again has decided on the latter. Perhaps the player unrest, lack of respect of the manager as well as the growing number of transfer requests made that decision all the easier.

The allure of mourinho still treads the corridors of sw3 and it is no surprise that almost the core of his self-made team have been linked with a move away from the club this summer. Players such as Carvalho and Drogba have made their intentions quiet public and have further hinted of the possible exodus of Mourinhos key allies such as Lampard, Essien, and J.Cole. Fans would not be surprised either by the departures of less exciting players either such as Malouda, SWPhilips, Sidwell, Ferreira, Bridge, Belletti and Schevchenko. Makelele too is approaching the end of his career and wont be in Abramovices plans.

Abramovices second attempt at Chelsea or Chelsea2.0 certainly offers many challenges, Foremost is who will he hire as manager and what power will the manager be given. Will he expect the new manager to accept that he, as well as Kenyon, Arneson etc all should have a say,
    or will he bank on a proven talent and equip him with the funds and support to make a name for himself. Names linked so far include Mancini, Rijkard, and Sven the man who would have been in charge three four years ago, were it not for a benny McCarthy goal against Man United.

The players brought in will too say a lot about his strategy, will he enjoy the freedom to go down the Galactico route which he enjoyed with some success in the arrival of the Ballack and Schevchenko duo. Rumours have been spread about the clubs intentions to acquire amourous signings such as Robinho, Messi, and Kaka. This however to some extent is not consistent with the signing of the hard working Mourinho-esque boswinga to fill the gap in right-back ahead of more adventurous attacking threats such as Dani Alves.

This Summer will not be quiet at the bridge, but the path set out by Abramovic is not yet clear, what do you think will happen?
    Very interesting post. This summer will no doubt bring the biggest changes since Abramovich arrived. All the fringe and over the hill players will be moved on while Grant will probably be moved "upstairs". The spine of the team isn't likely to be radically changed though with Cech, Terry, Carvalho, the Coles and Ballack all more than likely staying put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

He could walk, but I think he probably feels he has a point to prove so will have another crack at it. He will probably make Kenyon work that bit harder this year by tightening the purse strings.

Lets be honest the guy has pumped FORTUNES into the club and he probably woke up this morning in his 24 carat pyjamas and said to himself "How much money do I have to spend here?"

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don’t see much changing. He’ll still continue to spend extravagant sums on whoever his advisors tell him they need. Even if Chelsea lose Lampard, Makelele and Drogba this summer they’ll still be very strong next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

If RA decides to take a hike a put his money elsewhere, Chelsea are fcuk'd. He just didn't pump the money in nilly willy , its in the form of a loan, over £500 million. Its actually a personal loan on the Balance Sheet ! Who is going to put that money in to repay the debt ????

Secman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

pretty sure he didnt put it in as form of a loan, also pretty sure hes said several times that theres a fund in place that will transfer over to chelsea if/when he leaves the club

Helix wrote: »
    pretty sure he didnt put it in as form of a loan, also pretty sure hes said several times that theres a fund in place that will transfer over to chelsea if/when he leaves the club

As far as the accounts are concerned its a no interest personal loan, they were releases last week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Honestly, i think RA will sell up and head off.
    He wasnt at the Liverpool - Chelsea game or the United - Chelsea game.

Seems to be losing interest. He wants his team to play like barca but they never will. Think it has sunk in now. Will be interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

I don't think its as black and white as people make out. The English Premiership is the richest and most attractive one in the world right now so most of the top players will want a part of it. Chelsea have finished the season strongly and have a team which can compete with Man Utd., currently viewed as the best team in the world by many. So I don't think the team will be radically dismantled and I don't think as many of the team will be rushing out the door as getting another club on a par with Chelsea won't be that easy.
    The additional of a few key players, started already with the purchase of Bosingwa, allowing Essien back into midfield, should allow this team to evolve and remain in contention for the top prizes.
    I think Grant will be given another season, not too sure if he'll want it. Getting Zola in at some point and grooming him as a future manager would be a smart move.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Chelsea will be stronger next year. FACT!

Hopefully we can go one better and pick up a trophy or two.

RA is going nowhere. And if he does sell up it will be to someone else who has money to burn.Who else would buy Chelsea?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

chdpoker wrote: »
    Chelsea will be stronger next year. FACT!

Hopefully we can go one better and pick up a trophy or two.

RA is going nowhere. And if he does sell up it will be to someone else who has money to burn.Who else would buy Chelsea?!

I think the answer to you question is worrying bit for Chelski fans. Who would buy them if RA left? O_O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It is firstly very important to understand that there was going to be major transfer activity and a probable change of manager at Chelsea this summer irrespective of how the width of the goalpost and crossbar was the ultimate difference between success and failure last night.

It is secondly vital to stress that Chelsea would be no better or worse a team this morning if John Terry had slotted that penalty home. It is easy to be distracted by the "ZOMG WE ARE CHAMPIONS AND THE BESTEST EVAR" comments that trail the victors in the aftermath of a victory. One can take in the post match plaudits of the television and print media and listen to the simpletons down the pub or on football message boards and be fooled in to thinking that the margins between success and failure over the course of the 2007 / 8 season amount to a veritable chasm that will be difficult or impossible to bridge. But that is far from the truth.

Over the course of 38 league games the margin was ultimately two points. Over that sample size of games it is a couple of kicks and bounces here and there. The charge that luck levels out in football may be true - but it definitely doesn't even out over a 38 game sample size. The end league result still owes a lot to variance. As for the final last night? It was a draw after 120 minutes where Chelsea were the best side but lost in the lottery of penalties. My point? It would be sheer idiocy to claim that United are much if anything ahead of their London rivals. The races have come down to photo finishes on the line - and one of the runners has had the slight run of things. But that wouldn't necessarily be the case next year if we ran it again, or the year after or so on, etc.

Over the past five seasons Chelsea have won the league twice; finished second three times; reached the semi - final stages of the CL three times; been runners up once; won the FA Cup and the League cup once each. As such, by any normal measures Roman Abramovich has achieved excellent levels of success - particularly when that five year record is put in the context of the club's record in the 20 years that preceded the 2003 / 4 season. Last night and this season don't prove that Chelsea are also rans or second tier within the sphere of European football - on the contrary, they stand at the very top of the footballing world. They just don't dominate in the same way that United don't dominate it and they didn't win it all this year due to short term swings of fortune.

It may seem odd then that Roman had already decided to break it down and start again to come back better and stronger. Why, when he is so close to winning a double? The answer to that question is the very thing that should have fans of all other Premiership and European sides quaking in their boots. Abramovich isn't content to simply reach the line in a neck and neck dip for victory. His goal is to obliterate the footballing opposition - just like he obliterated the competition in the business world.

Being very, very, very good doesn't equal perfection. And so he is starting again in a fashion to get it "right" this time. It is a much easier task for us to focus on the negatives of the Chelsea situation as we shift through the debris of a missed penalty kick. The brain likes decisive outcomes because they sit easier. So even though there was nothing decisive about this season we like to twist it that way, and talk rubbish about how it is impossible to see a young United squad being knocked off their perch over the next few years particularly if Chelsea take a step back this summer.

But that step back will be to take two steps forward. Money is power in football and Roman Abromavch has, in the context of the footballing world, an endless supply. And in any case, Chelsea 2.0 is going to cost him less because the club is now a much more economical and efficient beast in terms of finances than it was four years ago. United's perch isn't all that solid. And as a Liverpool fan the scary thing is not as far as we are behind them now - but how far we will be behind a reformed and reinvigorated Chelsea machine three seasons hence. The details of how it will come about seem hazy and difficult to put together at this point. But a big chequebook solves all in football when it is given enough time to work it's magic.

Beware folks, this guy doesn't do losing close. His aim is to be winning big. And so far in his life he's got what he wanted. No reason to think that won't continue. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Good post! ^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

Indeed, a very good post,

Do the WUMs never get tired of trolling out the same cliches time after time, what will you do when Abramovitch leaves? Continue is as strong position as we are. Drogbas gonna leave! He may, we'll sign someone else, and he may not he's just bought a new house in London, change the record for gods sake.

What are UTD fans gonna do when Glazer decides he can't make head or tale of this "soccer" and sells it to an arab consortium who want to drill for oil under trafford

What are pool fans gonna do when the board sack Benitez? Or when you leave Anfield to go to the Shankly park stadium?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

DerKaiser wrote: »
    Indeed, a very good post,

Do the WUMs never get tired of trolling out the same cliches time after time, what will you do when Abramovitch leaves? Continue is as strong position as we are. Drogbas gonna leave! He may, we'll sign someone else, and he may not he's just bought a new house in London, change the record for gods sake.

What are UTD fans gonna do when Glazer decides he can't make head or tale of this "soccer" and sells it to an arab consortium who want to drill for oil under trafford

What are pool fans gonna do when the board sack Benitez? Or when you leave Anfield to go to the Shankly park stadium?

The difference between those and RA is that RA runs the club (though obviously they're changing this which is good for the club in the long run) as a 'sugardaddy' type figure. People have now discovered that people like RA are rare in football and that most of the international investors treat clubs like an investment instead. Clubs being run like investments are never going to do unsustainable things but a club owned by an RA can and the club has been run like that. This is changing so if RA does leave, Id say by that time Chelsea would have to readjust but that they would be able to survive successfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

RA is worth about 10 billion,he has nearly spent 1/10th of his personal wealth on a club that never won the big prize.WHEN he sells they will go to muck,whos gona buy them.

They have no fanbase compared to the other top teams
    **** Stadium
    700m of Debt

Its not a viable business and when he sells,they will be he next leeds.

RA is gona realise soon enough he is burning money at quite a rate and will leave.NO One in their right mind would continue the madness of ploughing money in,that you will never get back.He is also very good at loosing money,chevchenko is worth about 10 million now if even,he was originally worth 30,the man just throws money away and contrary to belief he doesnt have bottomless pits and the day will come very soon that he says **** his and leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

But if he sells we can't be the next leeds. I think you mean if he walks away at which point we've 18 months to pay him back or were screwed. Although In this day and age it'd be a lot easier to get someone to buy the club as its the popular thing to do now. I think all the top clubs have a big risk factor at the moment. Chelsea are no different.

dc69 wrote: »
    RA is worth about 10 billion,he has nearly spent 1/10th of his personal wealth on a club that never won the big prize.WHEN he sells they will go to muck,whos gona buy them.

They have no fanbase compared to the other teams
    **** Stadium
    700m of Debt

Its not a viable business and when he sells,they will be he next leeds.

RA is gona realise soon enough he is burning money at quite a rate and will leave.NO One in their right mind would continue the madness of ploughing money in,that you will never get back.

His personal wealth has been estimated from other sources to be as high as 19Billion (but no - one knows definitively). Also, you might consider that he is estimated to have spent approx 2x on charitable causes what he has spent on Chelsea football club over the past five years (but again it's all estimates). And finally, Chelsea's financial reporting and projections predict that they will become independently profitable sometime around 2011 or 2012 when factoring in operating costs at a similar level to what they are doing currently (but of course the assumptions and data upon which such assumptions are based are vulnerable to changes in the rules or the marketable fan base). As a Liverpool fan I would like to take the rubbish you spout as truth - but it has a distinct smell of bull**** to me. There is little in the way of conclusive evidence that suggests he isn't there for the long haul. But we'll see.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    His personal wealth has been estimated from other sources to be as high as 19Billion (but no - one knows definitively). Also, you might consider that he is estimated to have spent approx 2x on charitable causes what he has spent on Chelsea football club over the past five years (but again it's all estimates). And finally, Chelsea's financial reporting and projections predict that they will become independently profitable sometime around 2011 or 2012 when factoring in operating costs at a similar level to what they are doing currently (but of course the assumptions and data upon which such assumptions are based are vulnerable to changes in the rules or the marketable fan base). As a Liverpool fan I would like to take the rubbish you spout as truth - but it has a distinct smell of bull**** to me. There is little in the way of conclusive evidence that suggests he isn't there for the long haul. But we'll see.

Its not bull**** as you put it,There is no way chelski are gona be out of debt by 2012,not a chance in hell.They are constantly adding to their debt,look at boswinga,they just added 16 million to their debt on a fullback,who will no doubt be one of several expensive players to hit the club this season.To even break even in the next few years chelski will have to cut wage packets and stop buying more players,something they arent doing.

Utd are brillaint at editing account statements to make it look like they are in profit,as seen this year but chelski are even better at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

700 million in debt. Would like to see the link to that.

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    700 million in debt. Would like to see the link to that.

http://soccerlens.com/chelsea-limited-06-07-financial-accounts-analysis/7451/

theres a link to the 06/07 balance sheet there,I wouldn pay too much attention to their analysis tbh.

The debt in 2006-7 was actually 736 million.

Its not bull**** as you put it,There is no way chelski are gona be out of debt by 2012,not a chance in hell.They are constantly adding to their debt,look at boswinga,they just added 16 million to their debt on a fullback,who will no doubt be one of several expensive players to hit the club this season.To even break even in the next few years chelski will have to cut wage packets and stop buying more players,something they arent doing.

Utd are brillaint at editing account statements to make it look like they are in profit,as seen this year but chelski are even better at it.

Not out of debt by that time - but operating at a yearly profit thereafter meaning that Abramovich can see light at the end of the tunnel of bottomless pit investing.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Not out of debt by that time - but operating at a yearly profit thereafter meaning that Abramovich can see light at the end of the tunnel of bottomless pit investing.

True,but if you think of it that utd(who bring in alot more money) keep buying better players and can afford them more than chelski because they are bringing in more money,then chelski have too buy better/more players,it creates more debt.I cant see them even breaking even for a long time.
    Their stadium and fanbase are too small to break even in the short term imo.Winning the cl and premier league does not get you that much money,your bread and butter is stadium and fanbase.

True,but if you think of it that utd(who bring in alot more money) keep buying better players and can afford them more than chelski because they are bringing in more money,then chelski have too buy better/more players,it creates more debt.I cant see them even breaking even for a long time.
    Their stadium and fanbase are too small to break even in the short term imo.Winning the cl and premier league does not get you that much money,your bread and butter is stadium and fanbase.

Yeah Chelsea really need more fans.

Advertisement