Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

1376377378379380382»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Hey guys

Sorry if this has been discussed before I havent read any of this thread, but what do you guys actually value Crouch Carson and that spaniard at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

shoutman wrote: »
    Hey guys

Sorry if this has been discussed before I havent read any of this thread, but what do you guys actually value Crouch Carson and that spaniard at?

Sterling
    carson 8m
    Alonso 15-16 m
    Crouch 13m

That,I think is the actual price they are worth,benitez uses higher figures because bargaining is involved.

The goalkeepers price goes back to when roy keane payed 11 m for craig gordon,if craig gordon is worth 11m then carson is at least worth 8.

Alsonso is easily worth 15 m,probably the best passer in the PL and not many fans would be pleased if he went and rate him higher than barry.

Crouch is always gona be worth less because he is not attractive to watch,he does his job and well.Strikers arent cheap and 13m is a realistic price in todays market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

hunter164 wrote: »
    Look I know Kuyt ain't great or very good but he done his best in a position he's not suited to.And he gives his all. I am in no means saying he should stay but he done a job last season.

alrite but he seriously can't be in that position next season if liverpool want to win the premiership!
    shoutman wrote:
    crouch= at least 10
    Carson= bout 6
    alonso= reports saying 12.. i'd be sickened to hear that.. €16 for me at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

That's why I said I don't think he should stay but he done Rafa a big favour this year and i think we should be grateful for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

tok9 wrote: »
    alrite but he seriously can't be in that position next season if liverpool want to win the premiership!

crouch= at least 10
    Carson= bout 6
    alonso= reports saying 12.. i'd be sickened to hear that.. €16 for me at least

if Rafa can get 13 for sissoko i'm be pretty confident he'll get 16+ for alonso!

• Advertisement

if Rafa can get 13 for sissoko i'm be pretty confident he'll get 16+ for alonso!

sorry... £s not €s

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has no plans to lower the club's asking price for goalkeeper Scott Carson.

The England international has spent the season on loan at Aston Villa and is keen to leave Liverpool on a permanent basis.
    Villa boss Martin O'Neill is hoping to hang on to Carson, but is understood to be reluctant to meet the £10million fee thought to be demanded by the Reds.
    However, Benitez says the figure was agreed last summer when Carson originally moved to Villa Park on loan.
    And the Liverpool boss sees no reason why that sum should now change as Carson looks for first-team football on a regular basis.
    "It is a matter between the clubs," said Benitez. "We agreed the fee with Aston Villa last year.
    "The fee has been there for one season, so to talk about the fee now is not correct.
    "We agreed with Martin O'Neill and that was the situation."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3598285,00.html

Not budging.. good.. he sounds confident, as if they have plenty of money or else he is bluffing:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

sissoko was e13m, can people stop switching currencies mid sentence please!!:pac::pac:
    Craig Gordon was £9m not 11m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

dc69 wrote: »
    Crouch is always gona be worth less because he is not attractive to watch,he does his job and well.Strikers arent cheap and 13m is a realistic price in todays market.

He's only got a year left on his contract though which will affect his value. I'd expect a price close to the 10m mark for him. Maybe even slightly on the wrong side of 10m. Owen went to Madrid for 8m in similar circumstances (with Nunez thrown in just to make the deal even less attractive).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭mormank

so if crouch is worth c10 million pounds. how much is kuyt worth?? more or less??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭mormank

hunter164 wrote: »
    Look I know Kuyt ain't great or very good but he done his best in a position he's not suited to.And he gives his all. I am in no means saying he should stay but he done a job last season.

ya kuyt did a job but we need to replace him. hypia also did a job but needs to be replaced(already done imo). we cannot go another season with kuyt on the right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

I've already said that, I was just defending Kuyt after someone slagged him off.He won't I hope be there by the start of the season but we should be grateful for what he done last season and not slag him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Thomas Ince, 16-year-old son of ex-England star and MK Dons manager Paul Ince, has signed for Liverpool. (Daily Star)

Bolton boss Gary Megson is battling Aston Villa to sign Spurs keeper Paul Robinson in a £5m deal. (Daily Star)

Not good if we are hoping to sell carson to villa for 8m

Villarreal friendly confirmed for Wed July 30th.

This to me suggests we've not made an offer for Riera.
    But Espanyol sporting director Herrera said: “If he says he is going to go then he has more information than his club – he must know that there is an interested club who will pay the amount of money needed.”
    They've also said his release clause is around the 16m mark and that he'll only be allowed leave if someone triggers that clause.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=anfield-target-asks-for-transfer%26method=full%26objectid=20964598%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,981 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

zing wrote: »
    Villarreal friendly confirmed for Wed July 30th.

This to me suggests we've not made an offer for Riera.

They've also said his release clause is around the 16m mark and that he'll only be allowed leave if someone triggers that clause.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=anfield-target-asks-for-transfer%26method=full%26objectid=20964598%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

they always say that stuff though, if he wants to leave and we offer something under that (though i wouldn't really like to be paying more then 8 or 9 for him really), then he'll probably go.

Im in 2 minds over him. He's a decent left footed backup to rotate with Babel, and he has improved massively since his Man City loan spell, but if money is tight then id prefer we just kept Babel and Benayoun as the options for that side and spent more on the RWF. Also, just the fact we're in for him to me suggests that Rafa has more to spend then we think. A cheaper winger on the right would spell disaster as its a key position that needs a top level buy, but spending 8mill+ on a backup/rotate position that we dont strictly need desperately means Rafa must have a decent kitty, unless he plans on having Babel at RWF which i doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    they always say that stuff though, if he wants to leave and we offer something under that (though i wouldn't really like to be paying more then 8 or 9 for him really), then he'll probably go.

Im in 2 minds over him. He's a decent left footed backup to rotate with Babel, and he has improved massively since his Man City loan spell, but if money is tight then id prefer we just kept Babel and Benayoun as the options for that side and spent more on the RWF. Also, just the fact we're in for him to me suggests that Rafa has more to spend then we think. A cheaper winger on the right would spell disaster as its a key position that needs a top level buy, but spending 8mill+ on a backup/rotate position that we dont strictly need desperately means Rafa must have a decent kitty, unless he plans on having Babel at RWF which i doubt.

I agree he must have a substantial amount to spend. Surely babel couldn't play the right. He is a predominant left side player surely? or am i wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,193 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you are wrong

he is a predominantly right sided player playing on the left

Cyrus wrote: »
    you are wrong

he is a predominantly right sided player playing on the left

Well you're both right really, he's right footed, but has himself commented that he much prefers playing on the left and coming inside.

I couldn't see Rafa moving him out wide right, his best moments this year have come from beating his man and marauding into the box. Causes a bit of havoc, from that position the CB's have to make a decision to mark their man or commit to challenging him so either way space opens up. Playing him on the right would lose a lot of that. Also being on the left gives him plenty of opportunity to unleash those bullet shots he seems to pull out of nowhere!

Well you're both right really, he's right footed, but has himself commented that he much prefers playing on the left and coming inside.

I couldn't see Rafa moving him out wide right, his best moments this year have come from beating his man and marauding into the box. Causes a bit of havoc, from that position the CB's have to make a decision to mark their man or commit to challenging him so either way space opens up. Playing him on the right would lose a lot of that. Also being on the left gives him plenty of opportunity to unleash those bullet shots he seems to pull out of nowhere!

also he is not a great crosser with either foot and realistically he will probably be a striker in a couple of years.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    also he is not a great crosser with either foot and realistically he will probably be a striker in a couple of years.

Agreed, I think he'll be a more Henry style CF in a few years. the LWF position is pretty much perfect for now to develop his game, lets him play facing goal and get more involved. Really hope he gets a lot of game time next year, think we need to do what Man U did with Ronaldo, just keep giving him games, even when he's poor, just give him every chance to fulfill his massive potential. His sub appearances really showcase his ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Two new links today.
    Speaking exclusively to setantasports.com, Valon Behrami’s agent has revealed that the Lazio star, linked to Tottenham and Liverpool, will use the Webster clause to buy-out his contract.

The Switzerland international has decided to move on after three seasons at Stadio Olimpico and he plans to play in the Champions League next season.

His representative Alessandro Beltrami has revealed that the midfielder will play Euro 2008 in his homeland as a free agent before leaving the Biancocelesti.

Behrami’s father recently declared the highly-rated player was on his way to Sevilla, but the agent told setantasports.com that: “The daddy does not decide for his son, he is not aware of it.

“Behrami will play Euro 2008 as a free player because he will buy-out his contract.

“Do you know what the Webster clause is? Well, he will use it.

“And after that, I can tell you that he has 100 percent chance of leaving Lazio.

“Lazio wanted €12 million (£9 million) for him and we had contacts, but now he will be able to decide where he goes and he wants to play the Champions League.

“We will not contact clubs, believe me, they are going to call us.”

&
    Rafa To Swoop For Garcia?

Liverpool are leading the race to sign Real Zaragoza forward Sergio Garcia, according to reports…

The 24-year-old has established himself as one of La Liga’s most promising attackers over the past few seasons, earning interest from several clubs across Europe.

Tottenham boss Juande Ramos is known to be a keen admirer of the former Barcelona trainee, and has long been linked with a move for the former Barcelona trainee.

But according to AS, the Reds are preparing to swoop for the ex-Levante striker, who was recently called up to Luis Aragones’ Spain squad for EURO 2008.

Rafa Benitez will be looking to strengthen his attacking options for next season, as Peter Crouch and Andriy Voronin are near-certainties to leave Anfield this summer.

Zaragoza’s relegation means Garcia will almost definitely be moving on, and although his contract contains a release clause of around ₤12 million, compatriots Ramos and Benitez could be forced into a bidding war for their fellow Spaniard.

With the Blanquillos preparing for a mass exodus, Benitez may be doing quite a portion of his shopping at La Romareda during the off-season.

Argentine attackers Diego Milito, Andres d’Alessandro and Pablo Aimar could well find their way onto Rafa’s wish-list, and the latter could be keen to link up with the man who coached him to two La Liga titles with Valencia.

We were linked with Garcia back in Jan/Feb as well. He has been picked for the Spanish squad for Euro 2008 following Bojan pulling out. He is perviously uncapped.

Scoring record leaves a bit to be desired seeing as he is a striker.

2002–2004 FC Barcelona 4 games 0 goals
    2004-2005 Levante UD 31 games 7 goals
    2005- Real Zaragoza 89 games 14 goals

TOTAL : 124 games 21 goals or 1 in 6

Anyone know anything about him ? I'll keep an eye out for him in the Euros.

Tusky wrote: »

We were linked with Garcia back in Jan/Feb as well. He has been picked for the Spanish squad for Euro 2008 following Bojan pulling out. He is perviously uncapped.

Scoring record leaves a bit to be desired seeing as he is a striker.

2002–2004 FC Barcelona 4 games 0 goals
    2004-2005 Levante UD 31 games 7 goals
    2005- Real Zaragoza 89 games 14 goals

TOTAL : 124 games 21 goals or 1 in 6

Anyone know anything about him ? I'll keep an eye out for him in the Euros.

Could be an interesting one, would fill the RWF position anyway. Checked about him when we were linked in january, but haven't really seen him play, though he seems to be listed as a striker/right winger. Has 9 assists from this season as well which is isn't bad.

lookin at the zaragoza stats, olivera and milito started nearly every game, so Garcia's goals and assists probably came from a wide position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

To sign one Swiss international is unfortunate, to sign another would be careless. ;)

Mike.

Could be an interesting one, would fill the RWF position anyway. Checked about him when we were linked in january, but haven't really seen him play, though he seems to be listed as a striker/right winger. Has 9 assists from this season as well which is isn't bad.

lookin at the zaragoza stats, olivera and milito started nearly every game, so Garcia's goals and assists probably came from a wide position.

He seems to be used as a substitute mostly for Zargossa. Is behind Oliveria & Milito in the pecking order. Sometimes plays on the right or left wing. Either way, doest seem to have cemented his place at Zargossa.

http://www.football-lineups.com/team/Real_Zaragoza/La_Liga_2007-2008/Campaign/

He seems to be used as a substitute mostly for Zargossa. Is behind Oliveria & Milito in the pecking order. Sometimes plays on the right or left wing. Either way, doest seem to have cemented his place at Zargossa.

http://www.football-lineups.com/team/Real_Zaragoza/La_Liga_2007-2008/Campaign/

never seen that before, great website! Just looked at games 25 to end of season (38) and he started all bar 1 of them, but he was played all over the park! mostly left and right wing with a few up front. Sounds like Rafa's type of player really with that level of versatility.

never seen that before, great website! Just looked at games 25 to end of season (38) and he started all bar 1 of them, but he was played all over the park! mostly left and right wing with a few up front. Sounds like Rafa's type of player really with that level of versatility.

Yeah its an excellent site. Hes young so could improve but his goal return is pretty dire. Not including his two years at Barca as he only started 4 games, he has scored 21 goals in 4 years. He has played a lot of that up front but has been used on the wing quite a bit as well. When you consider that Cisse score 21 goals for us playing predominantly from the wing in one season or that Babel and Benayoun scored 10 each from the wing this season, its a pretty bad total.

I take it he would be brought in to play in the right attacking slot. But would he a better option that Kuyt or would he play back up ? This is why I'm really looking forward to Euro 2008, to get a look at these players.

Yeah its an excellent site. Hes young so could improve but his goal return is pretty dire. Not including his two years at Barca as he only started 4 games, he has scored 21 goals in 4 years. He has played a lot of that up front but has been used on the wing quite a bit as well. When you consider that Cisse score 21 goals for us playing predominantly from the wing in one season or that Babel and Benayoun scored 10 each from the wing this season, its a pretty bad total.

thats true. of the zaragoza players id prefer aimar i think. Milito would also be a great buy.

thats true. of the zaragoza players id prefer aimar i think. Milito would also be a great buy.

Aye, Id love to give Aimar a shot. I think he would at the very least be as good as Luis Garcia was for us. If he adapted well he could be much better. Could play on left, right or in Gerrards position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

why are the same people who are against barry saying we should sign Aimar?He is the type of player that is not suited to the premiership and he is not a winger.Too light weight an dall his tricks and flick would not suit our style of play.he is the typical fm player...we need to find players that suit us not that are fantasy types.
    Again i harp back to what i said earlier,with rafa demanding good money for players such as crouch and carson is anyone else getting worried that Hicks and Gillet have given him nothing to spend this summer?

• Advertisement

The clubs finances - agood analysis of the clubs coffers for the 1st 10 months of this fy..

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=220943.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

because Aimar brings that skill that Barry doesnt have, that little bit of magic to release Nando for a goal.

I'd like to see him in a pool shirt

id like to see aimar in a pool shirt as well but only in europe becasue he wouldnt cut the physical nature of the premier league.Where would you play him,we need wingers and barry will replace alonso.We know that Aimar would not be able to play centre midfield and we cant afford the luxury of him playing behind nando because the leaves a centre mid pairing of gerrard and masch and that limits gerrards attacking ability.
    He just doesnt work for us and it would be crazy to buy him

Garcia would be a much better purchase then aimar, he can play left or right wing or up front and i would say he would have a decent shot at stevies position. also being 4/5 years younger than aimar means that if he doesnt settle we are more likely to get our money back than with aimar.

raven136 wrote: »
    why are the same people who are against barry saying we should sign Aimar?He is the type of player that is not suited to the premiership and he is not a winger.Too light weight an dall his tricks and flick would not suit our style of play.he is the typical fm player...we need to find players that suit us not that are fantasy types.
    Again i harp back to what i said earlier,with rafa demanding good money for players such as crouch and carson is anyone else getting worried that Hicks and Gillet have given him nothing to spend this summer?

Ridiculous post. Barry plays in central midfield which is our strongest position. Aimar is an attacking midfielder that can also play on the wing or as a backup striker.

A FM purchase is a player that is completely out of the clubs price range. A superstar or someone who would never come to the club.

Aimar would not cost that much, has played under Rafa before and we were rumored to have put in a bit for him so I dont see how he is a FM suggestion ?

He is a bit light weight and theres no guarantee that he would adapt to the premiership but I think he would be worth the risk as he is a goal threat and a very creative player, which we lack.
    id like to see aimar in a pool shirt as well but only in europe becasue he wouldnt cut the physical nature of the premier league.Where would you play him,we need wingers and barry will replace alonso.We know that Aimar would not be able to play centre midfield and we cant afford the luxury of him playing behind nando because the leaves a centre mid pairing of gerrard and masch and that limits gerrards attacking ability.
    He just doesnt work for us and it would be crazy to buy him

Hes played the vast vast majority of games this season on the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Considering Aimar won La Liga with Benitez, it would take him no time to gel to the way benitez wants the team to play.

I would prefer him to Barry/Downing. I dont like these one season wonders that we are linked with. It didnt work with Pennant.

• Advertisement

Tusky i believe an FM player is a player who is brilliant in FM but generally doesnt do it in real life it has nothing to do with cost....

i believe he would be another Garcia, brilliant at times but may do nothing for the other 89 minutes, while i would prefer him to Benayoun or even Pennant on the right he isnt what the club needs atm.

Tusky i believe an FM player is a player who is brilliant in FM but generally doesnt do it in real life it has nothing to do with cost....

i believe he would be another Garcia, brilliant at times but may do nothing for the other 89 minutes, while i would prefer him to Benayoun or even Pennant on the right he isnt what the club needs atm.

I dont thinks what it generally means. When people start threads saying we should buy Messi, Ronaldiniho, Eto'o etc, they are accused of being FM threads...because the signings are unrealistic....they are the type of signings you would make in football manager.

That is my understanding of the term. I suppose it could also be used to describe people who suggest wonder kids that are great on FM.

I suppose it could also be used to describe people who suggest wonder kids that are great on FM.

thats what i always took it as when people say
    "lets buy Sharbel Touma or Mika Aarilito", especially as i can never sign Messi, Ronaldiniho, Eto'o etc for us!!!:( ah well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yeah wish I could sign Messi even in FM :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another kid! :mad: ;)

Actually thats rather old news.

0167753B.jpg

Mike.

i dont know,barry to me is a great signing,a player on top of his game replacing a guy who hasnt played well in 2 years.Alonso on top form(his first season)is a better player than barry but he doesnt seem to be around anymore for whatever reason.Barry wouldnt need time to settle in and slots perfectly in our system with torres and gerrard behind him.
    Aimar to me would be a terrible signing,would need settling in and like veron may never settle in to english football.We dont need players like that and if its a winger why cant it be an english or english based player.I personally would go for bentley but he would cost a fortune but i agree that wingbacks and wingers are a priority.
    Does anyone know much about the italian wingback we are interested in.

i dont know,barry to me is a great signing,a player on top of his game replacing a guy who hasnt played well in 2 years.Alonso on top form(his first season)is a better player than barry but he doesnt seem to be around anymore for whatever reason.Barry wouldnt need time to settle in and slots perfectly in our system with torres and gerrard behind him.
    Aimar to me would be a terrible signing,would need settling in and like veron may never settle in to english football.We dont need players like that and if its a winger why cant it be an english or english based player.I personally would go for bentley but he would cost a fortune but i agree that wingbacks and wingers are a priority.
    Does anyone know much about the italian wingback we are interested in.

Yeah those damn foreigners taking ages to settle. Specially the Spanish speaking ones. Bastards ;)

I actually wouldnt mind Barry coming in to replace Alonso. Its him being brought in and us keeping Alonso which doesnt make sense to me considering we are broke.

However, Saying Alonso hasnt played well in two years is completely untrue. Hes had a bad season but definitely improved towards the end. I thought he was excellent against Chelsea for example. Lets not forget he recovered from a metatarsal injury twice this year...and injury that has kept Daniel Agger out all year.

If Rafa has made his mind up on selling Alonso, fair enough, Barry would be an ok replacement. I wouldnt see it was a step forward though. I'd see it as a small step back.
    thats what i always took it as when people say
    "lets buy Sharbel Touma or Mika Aarilito", especially as i can never sign Messi, Ronaldiniho, Eto'o etc for us!!!:( ah well....

Well Aimar hardly falls into the unknown FM wonderkid bracket then...hes 28 and is very well known.

Dossena to Liverpool pretty much a certainty according to his manager.
    Marino: Dossena for Liverpool
    Friday 23 May, 2008

Udinese Coach Pasquale Marino has confessed that star defender Andrea Dossena is highly likely to be wearing a Liverpool shirt next season.

The 26-year-old left-back enjoyed a superb season with the Friulani and is seen as one of Italy’s rising stars.

Dossena was a target for Juventus earlier in the year, but now it seems that his future lies in the Premier League.

“I think that a deal with Liverpool for Dossena is on the way,” Marino admitted to Radio Kiss Kiss.

“Everything is going smoothly. The requirements are in place and the player has given his consent because he wants to test himself at an important club after the season he has had.

“Our director general was in England partly because of that just two days ago.”

As for Marino’s long-term plans after an impressive first campaign with the Zebrette, the young tactician seems settled.

“I really like Udine,” he said. “The fans don’t have as visible a passion as they do in other places, but they are very dedicated to their team and they have shown that on many occasions.

“We will be looking to keep the unit we have intact, but we will also find alternatives this summer so that we can keep moving forwards.

“The important thing is not to feel sated after securing qualification for the Champions League,” Marino concluded.

well that'll be rb and lb wrapped up, so lets hope a right winger and a striker comes in now at the least...

would like to see some players leaving soon too, still a week to the window opens so who knows what deals have already been done!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Folks I think its time to close this and move on.

New Thread started Here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement