Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Music Tomorrow?

Options
  • 12-11-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Anyone know if we are getting Google music tomorrow.
    It mentions the UK and I remember before that when we could buy apps Ireland was not mentioned but only UK,

or am I gasping?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

It mentions the UK and I remember before that when we could buy apps Ireland was not mentioned but only UK,

or am I gasping?????

Nope. Can always be gotten through a proxy but not officially

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

or am I gasping?????

I have it for ages, I've managed to upload about 28 gb uploaded so far. There are easy workarounds to sign up, have a Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I'm in the UK at the moment and it's very frustrating the difference between UK Play and ROI Play.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Wi you be able to buy track with an Irish credit card on the uk store and use Google match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Google music is play music right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Google music is play music right?

yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

long_b wrote: »

yup
    How come I have that already though?

Prefer the rocket player widget.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Downloaded the app fine, can't check any of the cloud stuff as it gives a region errors will check in a few minutes when it's Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Wi you be able to buy track with an Irish credit card on the uk store and use Google match?

Checked out the UK music store a while ago with tunnelbear and my Irish credit card on Google wallet doesn't work

TBH it's not a patch on the US store for music selection and especially price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    How come I have that already though?

Prefer the rocket player widget.

while the app works here and you can upload your music after initially signing up through a proxy we don't have a music store. The music store is launching in the UK today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I have the google music app, where i can steam my music to the phone and listen to them on the browser but i can't actually buy new music. Not that tried ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

All you need is a US proxy when you sign up to the account. After that it does not check and allows access to everything (Except store to buy music)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭love that turbo

Or just download expat shield.
    Have uploaded 30+ gb of music and working well.

Expat Shield is free btw

Expat Shield is free btw

Do you still need to upload the files. I understood that they just scan your library and then match it with the music they have. I know i had to upload everything but did not think you had to do that any more.

Also, i only needed to use the US proxy when i was signing up, not when i was uploading.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Looks like we can't buy music there yet which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

lads, does anybody have an idea when google music will be 100% functional in Ireland?

and i dont mean being able to use it with a fake address, or some other scam. :D

i mean available so we can browse and buy music just like itunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

lads, does anybody have an idea when google music will be 100% functional in Ireland?

and i dont mean being able to use it with a fake address, or some other scam. :D

i mean available so we can browse and buy music just like itunes.

When we get rid of archaic digital content laws

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    When we get rid of archaic digital content laws

how archaic are these laws, seeing as itunes has been around for years now.

how archaic are these laws, seeing as itunes has been around for years now.

Couldn't tell you butttt, and this is a complete guess, could it be linked to the fact that iTunes sells you a licence where with play you get to download the MP3 to a zip archive?

I'll do a few searches but you here it a lot around here. Note how Netflix took years to come here and a severely disabled Netflix at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Just use Spotify TBH. If your going to buy the music, it works much better to have access to a huge range for a small monthly fee.

• Advertisement

thebman wrote: »
    Just use Spotify TBH. If your going to buy the music, it works much better to have access to a huge range for a small monthly fee.
    If you are on windows phone I can't reccommend zune pass enough. On android I'm liking Grooveshark VIP. Can you save spotify locally?

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    Couldn't tell you butttt, and this is a complete guess, could it be linked to the fact that iTunes sells you a licence where with play you get to download the MP3 to a zip archive?

I'll do a few searches but you here it a lot around here. Note how Netflix took years to come here and a severely disabled Netflix at that

As far as i have heard the problem with setting up a music store in Europe is that you have to negotiate with multiple organisations rather than one big one. So they leave the smaller markets until later and concentrate on getting running in the larger countries.

It has nothing to do with the download format.

Still plenty of places to buy music. Google Music Play is handy for hosting your entire collection in the cloud and being able to play it from any internet browser.

Shane

thebman wrote: »

that spotify is horrible,

the layout is shocking and there's no way im going to pay a subscription when i may not actually buy anything that month

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

Expat Shield is free btw

just a note to you fella, ive had bad experiences with expat shield... well my gf has , she used it to watch tv , but used to browse while it was on.... her facebook , gmail , twitter all were hacked , from spain... i use the same laptop but always made sure expat was off and none of my accounts were hacked...

SO be warned....

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭love that turbo

Thanks for the warning, I'll make sure it's off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

just a note to you fella, ive had bad experiences with expat shield... well my gf has , she used it to watch tv , but used to browse while it was on.... her facebook , gmail , twitter all were hacked , from spain... i use the same laptop but always made sure expat was off and none of my accounts were hacked...

SO be warned....

Most likely she used the same passwords everywhere than the passwords were hacked passing through the VPN. VPN traffic is encrypted, as is your Facebook session through HTTPS. What you're suggesting is impossible.

i reckon impossible is nothin....
    and no she doesnt use the same password for every thing, i make sure of that....

nothin was hacked before she used expat shield, and nothin has been hacked since its been uninstalled , im not saying it was expat but it certainly seems so , at least it opens you up to ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭mollser

I used expat shield once and after about 30 seconds it had changed browser settings, was unbelievably slow to connect to anything then got a blue screen of death. Tunnelbear works like a dream though!

Was about to upload my collection to Google Music but not all of it ;) was from legit sources, so got cold feet. Seems like you're confessing all about previous illegal downloading.

I just wonder in years to come will authorities (music bodies or other) use their powers to swoop on these accounts and target individuals for illegally downloading?? before they would have had to get your harddrive, now you'll be telling google! Anyone any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

mollser wrote: »
    I just wonder in years to come will authorities (music bodies or other) use their powers to swoop on these accounts and target individuals for illegally downloading?? before they would have had to get your harddrive, now you'll be telling google! Anyone any thoughts on this?

This will not happen.

• Advertisement

nedd wrote: »

This will not happen.

Why not? It could be assumed that at least music cops will be able to claim ownership of it and reclaim or so you.. Like they do for YouTube

Advertisement