Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google maps offline

• 06-06-2013 6:27pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit confused as to how these work. I downloaded a map yesterday (approx 100km x 100km, 56MB) and tested it out on my ride home.

I set the start and end points while still on the WiFi at work and hit Navigation. Voice directions came on but stopped about 10 seconds after I'd left, i.e. out of WiFi range and when I tried to recalculate the route I found it was disabled with the message 'No data connection'.

On the way home, the voice directions started up again but after I changed route (the road I took was parallel to the original road) it didn't cop on until 3km later and kept giving instructions for the original road even after the two diverged. It then tried to recalculate the route but took ten minutes by which time I was 100m from home.

So I'm wondering

a) what bits Google needs a data connection for -street name lookup?
    b) if its slow reaction to the changed route is due to the map, the GPS or something else?
    c) is there some way of improving offline performance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

afaik the app still relies on a data connection to use google servers to plan the route, so its not truly "offline", thats how i see it anyway i hope im wrong as id love to be able to rely on it when abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

maps are offline. navigation isn't.

The 'offline' feature just downloads maps - not the routing data.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

so is there anyway of starting a map without data connection..

like when im down in the country, and need to find my way from one place to another, ive no data connection and no wifi, theresfore cannot even start a map to get directions ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Package wrote: »
    so is there anyway of starting a map without data connection..

like when im down in the country, and need to find my way from one place to another, ive no data connection and no wifi, theresfore cannot even start a map to get directions ..

You need data or wifi to plan the navigation always. Once you have the navigation, if you just stick to the route they suggest you'll be fine. You'll need data though to recalculate if you deviate from the course suggested.

• Advertisement

Nolimits wrote: »
    You need data or wifi to plan the navigation always. Once you have the navigation, if you just stick to the route they suggest you'll be fine. You'll need data though to recalculate if you deviate from the course suggested.

ah balls,, i guess it off to buy an actual satnav for me so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ah balls,, i guess it off to buy an actual satnav for me so.

Or a different phone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

ah balls,, I guess it off to buy an actual satnav for me so.

Don't buy a satnav. Go to play store and try Sygic.

It is on 25% off sale at the moment with free lifetime updates. Also google for discount code and get another chunk off. I bought full European maps reduced from 50 to 30.

It does full offline no data mapping. Used it around the UK, and Czech & Slovakia last week and I'm sold on it. Map sizes can be large but searching and routing offline is perfect. Fantastic app.

You get a free 7 day trial on playstore. Give it a shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭deekster

Yeah, I was on my Irish SGII driving around Florida last year. Before we departed each day, but actually in the car with GPS locked in, I would use wifi to get my route. I missed several turn-offs, got on wrong highways etc (my fault) but the phone (with no data connection) was able to re-route me to my destination.

I'd still be out there only for it.

ps. I did have offline Maps cached for the area, but that was just for display, it was the turn-by-turn audio directions that I was relying on.

Grassey wrote: »
    Don't buy a satnav. Go to play store and try Sygic.

It is on 25% off sale at the moment with free lifetime updates. Also google for discount code and get another chunk off. I bought full European maps reduced from 50 to 30.

It does full offline no data mapping. Used it around the UK, and Czech & Slovakia last week and I'm sold on it. Map sizes can be large but searching and routing offline is perfect. Fantastic app.

You get a free 7 day trial on playstore. Give it a shot!

awesome stuff,,, thank you very much,, just downloaded it and will test it tomorrow,, thank you again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

On the subject of google maps and offline...

Anyone have trouble resolving their GPS location without a data connection?

I was abroad a few weeks ago and while I was out and about it kept saying "location data unavailable" (or similar), but when on wi-fi it had no trouble!

I've a HTC One X and my girlfriend has a Samsung S3... and was working for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

NavFree works great for me. You can download offline maps. There's also a version for usa.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL&hl=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I use Navigator, it has pay for mapping data but also the option to use Open Street map data.

I use the Open Street Maps one which is fine for the vast majority of Ireland now. It is completely offline as I've used it with data connection disabled and no wi-fi loads of times.

It also has a few features I've never seen on a sat-nav or other navigation software such as vehicle profiles and the ability to define speed limits for different categories of roads and you can make it beep if you exceed that limit.

Advertisement