Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfurnished Rental property

Options
  • 05-11-2012 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I will be moving out of my apartment and renting it out, I'll be bringing my furniture with me, I can leave the appliances. Does anyone know / have an opinion on if there is a market for unfurnished property rentals. Having rented in the US the apartments were all unfurnished. I would like to know if this is a possibility here before I go to the expense of furnishing it.
    Thanks
    N.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

There defiantly is a market here for unfurnished property, in fact it may well work in your favour, as people seeking unfurnished properties have very limited choice. That said obviously you are ruling out a large segment of renters who dont have their own furniture as its not the norm to have it.

My advice would be go for it renting it out unfurnished but maybe be prepared to frunish it with the essentials should it prove to take too long

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Have a glance on this forum- we've had two or three similar type threads over the past few months. There is definitely a market for unfurnished property out there- and to be honest with you, you're more likely to get good long term tenants out of an arrangement like this- however obviously you're narrowing down the potential renters.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

smccarrick wrote: »
    Have a glance on this forum- we've had two or three similar type threads over the past few months. There is definitely a market for unfurnished property out there- and to be honest with you, you're more likely to get good long term tenants out of an arrangement like this- however obviously you're narrowing down the potential renters.

Good points. But if youre in Dublin and anywhere central? I cant see you having any trouble at all as demand is outstripping supply at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

It will just depend if there is someone looking for an unfurnished place in your area when you put it up for rent. I currently rent a beautiful 2 bedroom apartment in Phibsborough. It had been advertised as unfurnished for a few months before we rented it but the landlord didn't get anyone interested. He then put in beds, wardrobes, sofas, tables, chairs etc.

He was telling me that he had successfully let unfurnished properties in other parts of town though. Try advertising it unfurnished for a month and see what response you get but after that you might be better off furnishing it. If you do so I'd advise you to get decent furniture that will last. Obviously look for good value but the cheapest stuff will only end up needing replaced and cost you more in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that there are certain minimum obligations, especially around storage of food, cooking, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Nettekee

Thanks all, I will initially advertise as unfurnished and see if there are any tenants interested.

Hi Victor- where could I get details of the minimum requirements you mention?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Without wanting to sound snotty, if you dont know the minimum requirement for a landlord then go off and do your research before renting out the property. You are now running a business; its up to you to know and understand what this means and the obligations that you now have as a landlord.

Im not trying to come across as a prick, but there are too many landlords out there who get into renting out of necessity without properly understanding what is involved and what is expected of them, and as a tenant its extremely frustrating to deal with this kind of amateur approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Nettekee wrote: »
    Hi Victor- where could I get details of the minimum requirements you mention?

http://www.threshold.ie/download/pdf/minimum_standards_for_rented_accommodation.pdf

Just a quick update, I advertised and within a week had the apartment let as unfurnished. I had many enquiries and got to a point that I could pick the tenants I wanted to rent to. Thank you for your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just a quick update, I advertised and within a week had the apartment let as unfurnished. I had many enquiries and got to a point that I could pick the tenants I wanted to rent to. Thank you for your advice.
    Thanks for the update; this post will probably be referenced to in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Can I just say, as veteran of renting for almost 14 years and sufferer of all the combined bargain town crap people often put in rented properties, I wish more places were unfurnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

I will be moving out of my apartment and renting it out, I'll be bringing my furniture with me, I can leave the appliances. Does anyone know / have an opinion on if there is a market for unfurnished property rentals. Having rented in the US the apartments were all unfurnished. I would like to know if this is a possibility here before I go to the expense of furnishing it.
    Thanks
    N.

There is little enough demand. I would recommend though to keep furnishing to a minimum but give any prospective tenant notice that you will add in extra furniture as required. A lot of tenants would have some items that they will bring so they will only be asking you to remove furniture and you have the problem of storage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Luca Brasi wrote: »

There is little enough demand. I would recommend though to keep furnishing to a minimum but give any prospective tenant notice that you will add in extra furniture as required. A lot of tenants would have some items that they will bring so they will only be asking you to remove furniture and you have the problem of storage

Bit late, the op posted to say he had rented it out unfurnished with no problems

Advertisement