Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I be doing art for my Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 08-03-2015 5:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I'm 17 in 5th year and I'm currently doing Geography over Art in my leaving cert (time table choices)
    I did do art for my JC and got a C because 1-I stupidly lost a lot or pieces 2-didn't care 3-was happy to get anything done as I wasn't allowed to do what I wanted (charcoal drawings)

I'm thinking of taking up art for my LC as another subject (I'm doing 8 at the minute but long story short I need another if I'm in with a chance of getting the points I want)

So here's something I drew not too long ago..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes.

If you can get your act together and realise that half the course will be sketch books and essays, then yes I can't see any reason why you couldnt achieve a higher C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

...nobody can figure the answer to that question but yourself....
    Two questions that can help you decide that are, 1. What do you want to do when you leave school and leading from that cling clang of an opener, 2. Does that require a portfolio of art?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MrYlad

Hey OP. Just wondering if you choose to do the art afterwards? I sincerely hope so. From the image you sent and your stated love of charcoal, you could be very suited to various aspects of the practical part of the course.
    Using a medium like charcoal or even conté or chalk (as opposed to led pencil) can help show individualaity and that you thought about your chosen medium. These mediums are perfect for the life drawings(only 15 and 30mins) because of there looseness and quickness.
    Your imaginative composition could also incorporate this medium. But you MUST consider if you like essay writing and art (that you see in galleries) in general, written in a history type format as art history is the largest section of the course. Sorry I'm rambling, let me know.

Advertisement