Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

opr wrote: »
    Please STFU! Even when the man is showing immense class some of you still find something to beat him with. He could have easily taken the easy route of slating the players but doesn't, a measure of the man in my eyes.

Opr

It makes him look even worse in my eyes. Blame the players who played shít for him, dont try and make out that they played well. Its embarassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Thought this might be due a repost to remind some of why some of us love and want the man back so much.

RAFA by Kristian Walsh

screenshot20120113at154.png

There are a lot of things I hate about the beautiful game; our ugly, flawed, gratuitous, imperfect beautiful game.

I hate clubs charge nearly £60 for 90 minutes of football and that our own club isn’t much better. I hate when fans still expect tickets to be a fiver while singing the name of their £20million striker.

I hate electronic turnstiles, electronic scoreboards and video screens. I hate pies. I hate the Upper Centenary and the fact it’s called the Upper Centenary. I hate Football Manager, Championship Manager, Fantasy Football and Wigan Athletic.

I hate fans who dress up as Elvis, Superman and Budgie the Little Helicopter. I hate fans who dress in Henleys and emit the cry of the Neanderthal any time the referee blows his whistle.

I hate inane punditry. I hate Alan Shearer and his crimes against fashion telling me that he passed it there, shot there and it’s a goal. I literally hate Jamie Redknapp and his tight, testicle-twisting trousers. Literally. I hate Gary Neville for talking more sense than both combined.

I hate Robbie Savage, Tim Cahill, Rio Ferdinand, David Moyes, Kiki Musampa and Garth Crooks, not to mention Emmanuel Adebayor, Scott Parker and the entire population of Middlesbrough. I hate Patrice Evra, Darren Fletcher, Rio Ferdinand and Phil Jones. I despise Rio Ferdinand.

I hate a fair portion of the media and those who think the entire media is corrupt, biased or full of liars. I hate bloggers who think they’re journalists because they can open up WordPress; I hate journalists who think they’re bloggers because they have a Twitter page.

I hate football managers and their droopy faces, so reminiscent of a mashed-up Echo left in the gutter on a rainy November morning. I hate how they dangle their faces out of their expensive cars, links themselves with every striker available in world football and pander to the media in order to secure the England job. I hate the England job.

I hate Roy Hodgson. I hate Manchester United fans who sit upon their high horse while that same horse tramples on dignity and decent human behaviour. I hate the fact Goodison Park has an escalator. I hate Goodison Park.

But there’s one thing I hate more than any of that.

After any defeat, be it big, small or insignificant, there’s always one person who stays behind as the Kop disperses onto buses and into pubs. They sit there long after the final sounds of disappointed applause dissipates into the night; they sit there shortly before the stewards get ready for their post-match operation.

Television, naturally, picks up on this. It’s been viewed so many times. A perfect end to the narrative. The full stop; the final scene. The heartbreak and despair of the sport encapsulated in one shot of a supporter, head in hands, unable to move. The aftermath is poignant for some, hilarious for most.

I’ve never understood it. I never want to understand it. A little over 18 months ago, I became everything I hated.

For 120 minutes, I stood on the Kop watching Liverpool’s next stroll into another European final. Hamburg.The Reeperbahn. Another anecdote to tell; another memory for the scrapbook.

Fifteen minutes after Diego Forlan ended Liverpool’s Europa League hopes, I was still sitting down. Numbness hit.

I loved a lot of things about football.

I loved watching my club take on Europe’s titans; better still, I loved watching those titans demolished by our own. Each victory another verse in Liverpool Football Club’s epic.

I loved the enthusiasm from opposing fans when we entered backdoor bars. I loved answering questions about Istanbul, Steven Gerrard and You’ll Never Walk Alone. I loved Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, Porto and Eindhoven.

I loved sharing these moments with friends. I loved sharing hotel rooms and airport lounges with them; I loved that eight-man round, even if it did cost the same price as my flight.

I loved Anfield and how it transformed when the floodlights radiated and Zadok the Priest reverberated. I loved how the buzz along Walton Breck Road carried the crowd like a conveyor belt towards the ground. I loved being one solitary brick in that wall of noise.

I loved watching Cannavaro, Zanetti, Ronaldinho, Ibrahimovic, Del Piero and Messi. I loved watching Gerrard, Carragher, Hyypia, Luis Garcia, Alonso, Mascherano, Agger, Kuyt.

I loved Rafael Benitez.

Rooted to the plastic red seat, I stared at the empty Anfield pitch. The floodlights started to dim, the reverberations eased. Everything I loved was slowly decaying; everything I hated was strengthening.

I knew defeat to Atletico Madrid would signal the end of Rafael Benitez as Liverpool manager. I knew some would be given what they wanted.

Screen-Shot-2012-01-13-at-15.44.09.png

Rafa’s influence at Liverpool stretched far beyond football. Far more important than the 2-1 win at Camp Nou was the night before, crammed into a bar eating tapas and drinking sangria until the early hours; far better than beating Milan, Real Madrid or PSV were the moments around that – the moments still talked about to this day.

More than any trophy, signing or 90 minute lesson in football management, Rafa gave us experiences we still remember and allegiances we still cherish. Rafa keeps giving, too – this time away from football. This time, he and his wife Montse give to the city of Liverpool through the Montse Benitez Foundation; they give themselves as fine ambassadors to the city.

That is why I’m angered when I see anything uncomplimentary written about Rafael Benitez. To debate his merits as a manager is fine. To debate the impact he has had on the city of Liverpool, both during and after his time as manager, is foolhardy at best and ignorant at worst.

Hate is a strong word. It should be reserved for only those who have harmed this football club, its supporters and the city.

Redknapp, Shearer, escalators at Goodison Park and all the other aforementioned items are not targets of hate, just a mild irritant to the landscape mentioned with tongue planted in cheek.

But I do intensely dislike those who felt the need to force Rafael Benitez out of Anfield; I feel an intense dislike for those who still don’t appreciate what he does. I dislike the fact some see a European Cup, an FA Cup and countless fantastic nights as a failure; I dislike it when those people don’t realise that Rafa’s legacy is a lot more than that.

I hated the fact I couldn’t tell him this in person as a supporter of Liverpool Football Club.

That was until he walked through the door of Parr Street during The Anfield Wrap’s 10th podcast.

I’d met Rafa before, both personally and professionally, when he was Liverpool manager. This time, I was meeting him as a supporter; this time, I could thank him for everything he did for Liverpool Football Club and the city of Liverpool.

He greeted us all with a warm smile – a smile some in the press told us never existed. It did exist. It existed at Istanbul and Cardiff. It existed at Old Trafford when Andrea Dossena put his side 4-1 up; a carbon copy of the smile four days earlier when Real Madrid were demolished at Anfield.

I used to argue I would rather have the cold steel of a European Cup rather than a warm smile. I now realised they were not mutually exclusive.

He sat down and spoke passionately about his football and his charity. He listened to those he sat with; he answered questions from both journalists and supporters. By the end of the podcast, there was no distinction: it was no longer a host, a few journalists, some fans and Rafael Benitez on the Anfield Wrap podcast; it was eight Liverpool supporters talking football with each other.

As he left, I shook his hand. I wanted to say thank you for Olympiakos, Juventus, Istanbul, Cardiff, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Old Trafford and the countless wins over Chelsea and Everton. I wanted to say thank you for the work both him and Montse were doing for the city.

I wanted to say thank you for speaking out against Hicks and Gillett and putting the club and supporters ahead of himself; thank him for being the glue of my hefty mental scrapbook bulging with moments from his time in charge, shared with people I consider great friends. I wanted to thank him for making our ugly, flawed, gratuitous, imperfect beautiful game just that little bit more beautiful for us.

I shook his hand, placed an arm upon his shoulder and uttered: “Cheers Rafa” before walking away. An opportunity missed.

I just cling to the hope Rafa knew, as he looked me in the eye, why I was saying thanks. He always did have fine attention for detail, after all.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2012/01/rafa/

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Melion wrote: »
    It makes him look even worse in my eyes. Blame the players who played shít for him, dont try and make out that they played well. Its embarassing.

Are Clare out of the hurling Champioship already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Edit: Misread post

Weird
    Richard Buxton ‏@Richard_Buxton_
    Also informed that Steve Clarke continues to be employed by #LFC despite suggestions that he has left the club.

amiable wrote: »
    Are Clare out of the hurling Champioship already?

Thats the most confusing post ive ever read :confused:

To be fair. 4 or 5 players did actually play well throughout the season.

Skrtel, Agger, Suarez, Enrique...

Thats what i said in a previous post, id put Bellamy in there to make up the 5. And Lucas for the short time we seen him

Thats the most confusing post ive ever read :confused:

Just wondering why you are so grumpy
    Thought it might have something to do with that foreign sport yee play out in Clare

Weird

Ian Ayre just said it on Sky apparently

Thought it might have something to do with that foreign sport yee play out in Clare

Its about 15 years since i picked up a hurley :)

• Advertisement

Thats what i said in a previous post, id put Bellamy in there to make up the 5. And Lucas for the short time we seen him

Ya sorry, misread the post.

Ian Ayre just said it on Sky apparently

And Richard Buxton passes it off as if he has inside info haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Are we invading Clare? You are meant to keep me updated on these things, Tackie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

i think LFC should go for rafa, lambert or di matteo if available. sad to see kenny sacked as he has been a great servant to LFC but he took it with a bit of class and dignity and picked LFC up when they needed it most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

OK so Clarke is still there .

I am taking that as conformation the Jose Mourinho has the job :P

Mysteriously shows up in London on the same date that both the owners are also in the country .

Its in the bag :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

tibor wrote: »
    Reports on the twitter box that FSG were actively trying to sell the club a few months ago.

http://bit.ly/Jhq3wE[/QUOTE]

I'd take all that with a pinch of salt, but over the next 10 years there is bound to be speculation if not an outright bid for Liverpool. We still are a huge name despite floundering on the pitch of late, and surely if FSG are into the whole "moneyball" concept, the end result of that would eventually be sell the club itself on for a profit, it would be naive to think otherwise, only my opinion on that.

Chelsea, Man City, PSG etc etc... over the coming years its very likely someone makes a bid from the middle east or one of the BRIC countries as they grow (Brazil, Russia, India China)...there are some staggeringly wealthy individuals there and are growing all the time even as we have a recession in the west. Obviously you could argue that if thet were going to happen it would have happened by now, but the more clubs that are bought the more other interested parties might consider coming forward with an actual bid. We might be some billionaires plaything at some stage, or maybe not- whether that would be good or bad people will have a different opinion. FSG never struck me as the sort who are in this for the long haul (beyond 10 years or so). Still, anything is better than H&G eh, and i'm grateful that they took over at a horrible time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Kess73 wrote: »
    Are we invading Clare? You are meant to keep me updated on these things, Tackie.

Wouldnt mind 'invading' Claire myself to be honest.

claire_rourke.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Betting suspended on PP for next LFC manager....WTF

pplfc.jpg

I need to take a break from the interwebs.. otherwise my head will asplode

Exploding-head.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

pplfc.jpg

Exploding-head.gif

It's a shocking website for football specials. The day afer AVB got sacked there was no market for Next Chelsea Manager, and when I went to put a few quid on last night it wasn't there - kept bringing me to the Next Rep. of Ireland Manager market when I clicked on the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

With Michael Owen being left go by United,would ye take him back at Liverpool on a pay as you play deal?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/0517/321268-owen-is-let-go-by-manchester-united/

Personally I wouldn't,he hasn't had enough game time over the last 2-3 years and even on a pay as you play deal I think he would still be a risk.

Will any club take a chance on him though?

Local_Chap wrote: »
    With Michael Owen being left go by United,would ye take him back at Liverpool on a pay as you play deal?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/0517/321268-owen-is-let-go-by-manchester-united/

Personally I wouldn't,he hasn't had enough game time over the last 2-3 years and even on a play as you play deal I think he would still be a risk.

Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Betfair have AVB as fav ahead of Martinez and Rodgers, with Rafa and Frank R a-ways back.

But at the end of the day, the odds are only based on what people are betting, which is really a wishlist for Pool fans everywhere. If Guardiola hadn't said he was taking a year off, he'd be near the top. As it is, even having said that, he's STILL at 44s... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

pplfc.jpg

Exploding-head.gif

Ignore the betting markets on shop sites like PP, they mean absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Dickerty wrote: »
    But at the end of the day, the odds are only based on what people are betting...

Really???

:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Can anyone help me with a bit of logic?

I'm hearing assertions that FSG won't consider Rafa because they already "went back" with Kenny.

What's the logic behind this? It doesn't make an iota of sense if you think about it for more than 5 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

spockety wrote: »

I'm hearing assertions that FSG won't consider Rafa because they already "went back" with Kenny.

What's the logic behind this? It doesn't make an iota of sense if you think about it for more than 5 seconds.

They don't want to go back going forward.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

ush wrote: »
    They don't want to go back going forward.

It makes no sense.

The only thing that matters is future success for the club, and therefore increased value of the investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Local_Chap wrote: »

Personally I wouldn't,he hasn't had enough game time over the last 2-3 years and even on a pay as you play deal I think he would still be a risk.

Do these pay as you play deals even exist?

Anyway no, he's useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

What do you think the transfer budget will be for the summer ? FSG are going to have to back the manager well in the transfer Market. It would be disastrous if they were to bring in the new manager and give him **** all to spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

They won't go for Rafa because he wants too much control at the club. I dont think FSG want that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

ricero wrote: »
    What do you think the transfer budget will be for the summer ? FSG are going to have to back the manager well in the transfer Market. It would be disastrous if they were to bring in the new manager and give him **** all to spend

Don't be surprised if they sell the club. No stadium at this juncture suggests they aren't really willing to invest heavily.

What a few tv and radio reports said this morning was that the new manager will get an additional £30m towards transfers.

Now this could be bullcrap or it could be something put out by the owners to try and settle down the support.

Personally I hope it is just media bullcrap as I would hope that the owners would not be making it known we have X amount in the kitty as that woud only see clubs adding a few million onto values and we saw enough of that with last summer's inflated fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Sappy404 wrote: »

Don't be surprised if they sell the club. No stadium at this juncture suggests they aren't really willing to invest heavily.
    Give us a sheikh oil baron so and il be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

BBC Sport reporting an estimated £30m. Wouldn't be at all disappointed with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

I dont think we'l have a budget per say. The owners will spend whatever needs to be spent.

Not if I can help it :)

Not if I can help it :)

Thought you were back in Limerick?

Thought you were back in Limerick?

I am but I wouldn't be bothered with Clare :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

What happens if Martinez or AVB come in and we are in freefall by Christmas? Should they be sacked? Would we again need another caretaker manager to steer us safely to the summer?

I am but I wouldn't be bothered with Clare :)

It's better than most of Tipperary.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Morzadec wrote: »
    BBC Sport reporting an estimated £30m. Wouldn't be at all disappointed with that.

Doesn't go very far these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I'm sure he'll have the Suarez money to spend as well.

Opr

Opr

That would give Liverpool about 75 mill to spend I'd imagine once Suarez is sold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Opr

Was thinking that earlier .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

What happens if Martinez or AVB come in and we are in freefall by Christmas? Should they be sacked? Would we again need another caretaker manager to steer us safely to the summer?

No whoever is brought in should be given 2 seasons minimum and at that should only be sacked if the club is battling relegation. The last thing the club needs is to go down the Chelsea route of sacking a manager every time the media get on his case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

It's better than most of Tipperary.:)

King Kenny has just been sacked and this is the best you lads can come out with?

Our club is in freefall and if the bookies are correct, we could have AVB or Roberto Martinez at the helm.

Show some respect to Dalglish lads.

LONG LIVE KING KENNY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Opr

Bad feeling this will be the next thing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

spockety wrote: »

Because they want to go forward with a clean break, look at all the heads that are rolling. They are not doing it because they like paying off contracts!

Hiring RB would be a bad idea, look at the mentality here (and on RAWK) fecking eulogies every page or so! Imagine what the dynamic would be inside the club, I could see a "table/lampshade" moment sooner rather than later. Why risk it? They don't need to so they won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Opr

And the Reina money:(

I've a bad feeling he could feel it's time to move on now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement