Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Grinds My Gears....

Options
  • 24-09-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

OK, so I understand we've had some hard times in the recent past, and it's affected me the same as it has everyone else - I've been a little more fortunate then those who lost their jobs and those who can't sell their house - but I do have to say that one thing annoys me, and that's the selfishness of those who decide to go back to college full time during semester.

I can understand and support the importance of going back to education, and anyone who does it sure as hell doesn't need my permission, but do so many people have to finish one course and now decide that because they can't get a job in their given Industry they have to go straight back into another four year course, full time, in another University until "it all blows over..."

Or the kind of person who decides that they've been working for years at what they originally dropped out of school/college to do, and now because the job is gone they're going back as a mature student, full time, during semester.

Or the student who decides to study a course in a particular subject, doesn't really like it, drops out and takes a year of absence before going back to college.

What is it to me? What's my problem? Well, I have cousins who have been knocked back from doing their chosen course because it's full to capacity, one who has to repeat the LC because she didn't get into the course she wanted as it went up 10 points this year and she was out by 5. I know people who've bragged they are going to the bank and getting student loans and are going to live in peace for the next four years, getting more money then they ever word in a "meaningless desk job" or on the dole actively seeking work and instead plan to go out and live like a student for another four years.

People are borrowing money they don't need, to fill places in courses they might never use, and taking places away from others who have just left school.

What do I suggest? What about an evening course, what about working P/T during the week and day and doing an evening course, what about doing mature education or perhaps doing some travelling or seeing what else is out there. Why return to the college system and abuse it....future generations will suffer!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

would you rather they go on the dole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Incorrect use of the clutch
    really grinds my gears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Tl;dr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Yeknow what really groinds moi geas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

orourkeda wrote: »
    would you rather they go on the dole?

I'd rather they make an effort to find work or at least come up with a solution that doesn't drain another important resource. Leaving income support to claim educational grants does not help the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I fucking hate students who complain about the increase in college fees when they are out every Thursday night, pissed out of their heads the whole way through college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

OK, so I understand we've had some hard times in the recent past, and it's affected me the same as it has everyone else - I've been a little more fortunate then those who lost their jobs and those who can't sell their house - but I do have to say that one thing annoys me, and that's the selfishness of those who decide to go back to college full time during semester.

I can understand and support the importance of going back to education, and anyone who does it sure as hell doesn't need my permission, but do so many people have to finish one course and now decide that because they can't get a job in their given Industry they have to go straight back into another four year course, full time, in another University until "it all blows over..."

Or the kind of person who decides that they've been working for years at what they originally dropped out of school/college to do, and now because the job is gone they're going back as a mature student, full time, during semester.

Or the student who decides to study a course in a particular subject, doesn't really like it, drops out and takes a year of absence before going back to college.

What is it to me? What's my problem? Well, I have cousins who have been knocked back from doing their chosen course because it's full to capacity, one who has to repeat the LC because she didn't get into the course she wanted as it went up 10 points this year and she was out by 5. I know people who've bragged they are going to the bank and getting student loans and are going to live in peace for the next four years, getting more money then they ever word in a "meaningless desk job" or on the dole actively seeking work and instead plan to go out and live like a student for another four years.

People are borrowing money they don't need, to fill places in courses they might never use, and taking places away from others who have just left school.

What do I suggest? What about an evening course, what about working P/T during the week and day and doing an evening course, what about doing mature education or perhaps doing some travelling or seeing what else is out there. Why return to the college system and abuse it....future generations will suffer!

People who go back to college would have no effect on your cousin receiving her place, a certain number of places are reserved every year for mature students. The only people that your cousin is in direct competition with are other Leaving Cert students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Wouldn't most people going back to college be doing post-graduate courses anyway? And if not, and are over 23, be applying as mature students, seperate to the CAO? That doesn't leave too many others.

As for people who drop out of courses 'just because they don't like them' Well in fairness, if you don't like the course, you probably won't like the eventual career and thats a fairly majpr part of your life. These people always existed though, it's nothing new at all, since its nothing to do with the economy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Is the use of the word "grinds" in the heading of this thread deliberate?:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Was begining to think I was time tripping again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

OP - if you're going to whinge about something, can you not at least make it slightly interesting or even entertaining?

That was one of the most pointless whines I have ever heard as well as being factually incorrect on many points.

Advertisement