Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA Digital Arts & Humanities

Options
  • 31-07-2014 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Wondering if there might be any graduates or students of this around the place.

I'm considering applying, on the basis of it sounding interesting and my having an interest in the creation/curation of digital archives/collections (something I would ultimately like to do) - but obviously that is not a research interest and I need a statement about a research interest to apply. (I only discovered the course like two days ago.)

It possibly simply reflects unsuitability for the course on my part that I have no research interests that suddenly spring to mind but honestly I don't even know where people come up with ideas for that kind of thing. (E.g. Mike Cosgrave, when I asked if he thought my career aim has a place in this course, sent me a link to a digital archive of diaries by an Irish composer which I took as a resounding yes) - I guess my question essentially is, how does one even come across a composer with diaries to be digitised in the first place? How does one find a specific research interest in a field they have not yet studied?

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Son of Sniglet

_Roz_, did you apply in the end?

I would also be interested to hear from graduates of this M.A - like _Roz_, I also found out about this quite late, and have recently applied. Whether I get a place or not is moot, as my 750 word statement was a load of blather (I could've stated my research interest in about 200 words).

Anyway, if anyone has done this MA, can you let us know how you fared? It'd be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

Hey - no, I didn't. Because I still have absolutely no idea how to form a research interest. I had applied for another course anyway which I think will be more beneficial to me so I'm not *too* bothered, but it would have been nice to at least apply. Good luck with your application :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Son of Sniglet

I getcha - the statement's kind of tricky alright. As I said, mine is mostly guff and blather. Good luck with your other course anyway! :)

If anyone has done the MA in question, giz some feedback pleeease!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭auskid

I know a guy who did a different masters but Mick Cosgrave ran it aswell and said it was a farce...he had modules where people had to create board games like world of warcraft...fun but not really valid in the real world

Former UCC colleagues of mine were telling me the other day that someone from Admissions was saying this year's class (from this MA) all had jobs before the end of the year... dunno whether that's true or not though. Or what the jobs were in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 JulyJuly

Hey, has anyone been offered a place on this course yet? My housemate and I both applied, and neither of us has heard anything back yet. The MA starts in 2 weeks, which is a tad worrying.

Also, If you did get an offer, did you hear via email, or on the main Springboard website?

Any help appreciated. Thanks! :)

I didn't apply for this MA, but I did apply for another Springboard course in UCC and I got offered it on Monday. I just happened to check my application status, which had changed to successful, and there was an automated email in my inbox telling me I needed to accept the course by the 31st of this month, and that further registration information will be sent to me shortly.

So that's what you're looking for - the deadlines were only on Friday gone, though, so I wouldn't worry til Thurs/Fri. At that point I'd be emailing the admissions woman (Sinead Lennon) in ACE.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Just wondering has this course got any real job prospects for the real world?
    And whats the difference between this course and digital cultures Online MA?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭texanman

Looking for some fresh feedback on this course. Would really appreciate it.

How did you find the course material & lecturers ?

Many thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Neenaww

Anyone who has completed the course have any feedback in regards to job prospects after, recommended modules, advice??? Be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭texanman

Now that I have completed the course, I really enjoyed it. Lecturers are so nice to deal with. Learned lots of different skills.

Advertisement